Thread: BES870 water pressure dropping during the pour

BES870 water pressure dropping during the pour

Hi all,

I've had my Breville BES870 for a little over 2 years I guess and it's been a rock solid machine in terms of producing a quality coffee.

There's been one little issue with the machine that's now starting to get quite bad and I'm hoping you guys might be able to help out.

When pressing either the single or double shot theres a noticeable loud rattle that sounds like it's coming from the water pump. In the beginning this noise would go away quickly and the shot would pour perfectly and life would go on (this issue has been going on/off for over a year). But recently things have gotten worse to the point that during the shot the noise rattle is still there quite loud and the pressure drops back to pre-infuse pressure and then straight back up to normal espresso pressure. I've also had a few times when the rattle and pressure stay there completely ruining the shot.

It sounds like something is slipping inside the machine that causes the pressure to drop. At any moment that noise could stop and the machine turns back to it's normal self and produces perfect pressure and and a good shot.

Just to add, I've had a lot of experience with this machine and produce perfect coffee's every time accept for when this issue pops up. Just reaching out for help on this issue to see if it's time to find a new machine or if it may be a repairable issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

The machine will need a new 3 way solenoid valve.

Not too hard to install but I would suggest finding a Breville service centre to do the repairs. As long as they are reasonable then it shouldn't cost too much.
    A new solenoid RRP is around $80 plus whatever labour they charge, couldn't see it being too much more than $150-175.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    The machine will need a new 3 way solenoid valve.

Not too hard to install but I would suggest finding a Breville service centre to do the repairs. As long as they are reasonable then it shouldn't cost too much.
    A new solenoid RRP is around $80 plus whatever labour they charge, couldn't see it being too much more than $150-175.
    Thanks so much for the info! I'll make some enquiries for a Breville service centre.

Have a great day!