Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Oscar II

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post

It's always a good idea to upgrade to a precision shower screen, basket and tamper.
    )
    With Antony on this one. Stock shower screen and basket should be perfectly adequate for a few years especially during the learning phase. Then if happy no need to upgrade. The VST baskets can be more difficult to work with if your dose, grind and tamp arent perfect.

Standard tampers are usually crap though so an upgrade from a plastic tamper is definitely worthwhile.
    Dimal and Casa Espresso like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebookfreak58 View Post
    Cool cool. Less interested in recovery and more with thermal stability (ie. that it's tuned well and not a dragon when sitting idle).

To be honest the short list would be (budget of around ~$1500):

* BDB (not super keen due to appliance style)
    * Oscar II (simple design, minimal electronics)
    * DE1 (similar concerns regarding reliability, but seems like the essentials for good coffee will be solid)
    * second hand machine (Rocket, Bezzera etc)

Oscar sounds like it will tick all the boxes. My friend essentially is looking for something with more steam power for when they have visitors. The coffee geek in me wants to ensure the shots being pulled are at the right temp and no surfing required
    All machines with merit.

Although the DE1 looks a little out of place to me in this group. Its going to be a great machine when it comes to market but I would think would attract a different sort of user to someone looking at Breville DB or Oscar II.

As for the hissing dragon, these days all good HX machines don't need the fabled cooling flush. In days gone by with hot running Italian spec machines yes, but not now.

Cheers

Antony
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 5th April 2017 at 07:20 PM.
    thebookfreak58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Are the handles 'glued' on with threadlock or does the square nut under the dome end cap undo it? Either way it's tight and trying not to break the handle?
    The square nut definitely does undo.

A bit of force is OK, we regularly use a shifter on the group handle spouts and handle....

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Mb21 likes this.

[QUOTE=Casa Espresso;604521

As for the hissing dragon, these days all good HX machines don't need the fabled cooling flush. In days gone by with hot running Italian spec machines yes, but not now.

Cheers

Antony[/QUOTE]

any chance of sharing your routine of using machine?
    im getting some bitterness I'm my shots, get 60ml in 27-30 seconds, tamp has finished puck level with ridge line on NS double basket and coffee starts to exit portafilter spouts around 14-16 seconds after pushing double button. Tried changing grind a round but bitterness still there. Tried a cooling flush but not helping.

any ideas to improve shots? Nice in milk not great as espresso.

im getting some bitterness I'm my shots, get 60ml in 27-30 seconds, tamp has finished puck level with ridge line on NS double basket and coffee starts to exit portafilter spouts around 14-16 seconds after pushing double button. Tried changing grind a round but bitterness still there. Tried a cooling flush but not helping.

Ok,

If you can send me a clip of your extraction it will help

Generally speaking bitterness comes from the coffee or under extracted shots (ie when the coffee is flowing too fast/ grind two course or under dosed)

A burnt taste will be when the flow through the coffee is too slow or too hot,

Your dose level seems right.

Is the coffee freshly ground? what is the coffee? What is the flow like through the group head?

Feel free to call me if required

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    (03) 9530 8992
    matth3wh likes this.

You might have have a few things going on there. Your dwell time is long and the flow/volume sounds too quick. I think you're too fine in grind, underdosed, and getting some channeling. I have seen this before in the Simonelli basket on the old Oscar. When you hit the sweet spot all will be good. I'm sure Casa can help you after seeing a quick vid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You might have have a few things going on there. Your dwell time is long and the flow/volume sounds too quick. I think you're too fine in grind, underdosed, and getting some channeling. I have seen this before in the Simonelli basket on the old Oscar. When you hit the sweet spot all will be good. I'm sure Casa can help you after seeing a quick vid.
    Flow time definitely seems quick for the volume. Under extraction = biterness

Chris has nailed it i think. Coarsen your grind, Aim for 5 seconds before you see coffee and 50-60ml in 30 ish seconds.

Hi gang, I have been doing some research for about 2 weeks now and have found this forum to be outstanding with its wealth of knowledge and advice. I am considering the Oscar but have a question regarding the power consumption. With the 2L boiler, is it expensive to run, how long does it take to warm up? The machine would only be making 2 latte's a day ( maybe 4 on the weekends).
    Cheers in advance
    Shane
    matth3wh likes this.

Hi Shane.
    A while back a forum member did some calculations. For a 2L boiler, initial heat up costs of 20-30c and idling costs of approx 10-15c per hour would be ballpark figures. Nothing to worry about
    Use the search function to see if you can find the old thread.
    Cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee;
    For a 2L boiler, initial heat up costs of 20-30c and idling costs of approx 10-15c per hour would be ballpark figures. Nothing to worry about

Cheers, Paul
    Says the man with a solid gold tamper
    K_Bean_Coffee and level3ninja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Says the man with a solid gold tamper
    That's gold Trent - You made me I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Chris has nailed it i think. Coarsen your grind, Aim for 5 seconds before you see coffee and 50-60ml in 30 ish seconds.

Hi Trentski

when you sayaim for 5 seconds before you see coffee do you mean from when button is pushed or after pump kicks in after preinfusion phase?

It not a big big difference but wanted to check.

thanks

Martin

Hi Shane

i normally leave machine on for 20+ minutes before use only do to my routine of a morning. Have used after 10 and a few flushes was more then ready.

loving my oscar 2 pretty quite considering and the steam power is awesome, so easy to get great milk.
    Dimal, matth3wh and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Thanks everyone for the help I'm starting to get better shots, refining my dosing. Got a set of scales coming so I can be more consistent while learning as having issues adjusting the grind and getting dose consistence.
    not sure if it's something that matters but when I find my Stainless screw collection I'll change the shower screen screw over to a countersunk one as noticed that the bolt head leaves a big indent / hole in the coffee puck before I pull a shot as sits so far below the screen.
    beans were 4 weeks old mocopan beans now 6 weeks old, got new beans from online supplier (Costa Rica Tarrazu) but they were roasted Tuesday so think are a bit fresh still.

Oscar II

Thanks for the update mb21. I'm glad you're treating your machine to fresh beans.
    Cheers, Paul

...when you sayaim for 5 seconds before you see coffee do you mean from when button is pushed or after pump kicks in after preinfusion phase?
    Hi Martin,
    Expect coffee 6-7 seconds after hitting the button. Start timing from the moment you hit the button of course. For more info on timing see step 10 of my espresso workflow here: www.kbean.com.au/training/
    Please share a vid of one of your extractions some time. That's always good.
    Cheers, Paul

Just wanted to give a HUGE shoutout to Antony from Casa Espresso for helping me out with a new machine and grinder, I ended up getting the Oscar II and Macao M4D, the coffee from this machine is as good as any coffee I've brought from a cafe so happy with everything.IMG_1325.JPG
    Andy, Dimal, Casa Espresso and 2 others like this.

Oscar II

They look good together on the bench. Just add some quality fresh roasted coffee and it's coffee bliss
    Enjoy!

If you're starting out I highly recommend a Pallo grouphead brush for quick cleaning after making your coffees.
    It and the blank filter basket supplied with your machine helps your machine stay cleaner and coffee tasting great day after day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matth3wh; 10th April 2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

The Oscar looks great and that M4D looks "white" hot. VERY nice

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    They look good together on the bench. Just add some quality fresh roasted coffee and it's coffee bliss
    Enjoy!

If you're starting out I highly recommend a Pallo grouphead brush for quick cleaning after making your coffees.
    It and the blank filter basket supplied with your machine helps your machine stay cleaner and coffee tasting great day after day.
    thats the next thing I need to do get some fresh coffee beans and yes they got great together I'm very happy with my purchase.
    Dimal, Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

....yep, fresh beans are so important - find a local roaster to look after you
    Amandajayne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Hi Shane.
    A while back a forum member did some calculations. For a 2L boiler, initial heat up costs of 20-30c and idling costs of approx 10-15c per hour would be ballpark figures. Nothing to worry about
    Use the search function to see if you can find the old thread.
    Cheers, Paul
    much appreciated, this place rocks👍
    K_Bean_Coffee likes this.

Hi Shane

i normally leave machine on for 20+ minutes before use only do to my routine of a morning. Have used after 10 and a few flushes was more then ready.

loving my oscar 2 pretty quite considering and the steam power is awesome, so easy to get great milk.

Thanks mb21

Quote Originally Posted by Amandajayne View Post
    Just wanted to give a HUGE shoutout to Antony from Casa Espresso for helping me out with a new machine and grinder, I ended up getting the Oscar II and Macao M4D, the coffee from this machine is as good as any coffee I've brought from a cafe so happy with everything.IMG_1325.JPG
    Hi Amandajayne,

Not a problem at all.

Shows the strength of this forum that you were able to use it as a resource to help solve a problem

All the best

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    matth3wh likes this.

Hello all,

We have had our hands on the Oscar II for a few months now and it performs really well straight out of the box.
    http://www.casaespresso.com.au/domes...simonelli.html

There are a few small things that we have improved on from factory that we have offered our customers.

One thing we have been working on is our own proprietary OPV kit. This kit will allow the user fine tuning of their extraction pressure. Whilst its not a necessity it will just make this machine a little bit more user friendly.

In the previous model Oscar we used to fit an "anti vac valve" to almost everyone that went out the door. Now the Oscar II has an anti vac valve as standard.... maybe in the future the OPV will be standard from the factory.

We will of course be offering full factory warranty on any machine fitted with our OPV.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 26th April 2017 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Hello all,

We have had our hands on the Oscar II for a few months now and it performs really well straight out of the box.
    http://www.casaespresso.com.au/domes...simonelli.html

There are a few small things that we have improved on from factory that we have offered our customers.

One thing we have been working on is our own proprietary OPV kit. This kit will allow the user fine tuning of their extraction pressure. Whilst its not a necessity it will just make this machine a little bit more user friendly.

In the previous model Oscar we used to fit an "anti vac valve" to almost everyone that went out the door. Now the Oscar II has an anti vac valve as standard.... maybe in the future the OPV will be standard from the factory.

We will of course be offering full factory warranty on any machine fitted with our OPV.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Hi Anthony

You meantion a few small things apart from the OPV are you able to let us know what the other improvements are?

Can the OPV be supplied as a kit so can be DIY installed?

Hi Anthony

You meantion a few small things apart from the OPV are you able to let us know what the other improvements are?

Can the OPV be supplied as a kit so can be DIY installed?
    Yes we are designing the OPV kit as an item that can be installed DIY. It will come with instructions on how to do this.

I will send you a PM with the other things we do......

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso - Home

Might interest people down the track but I came across a video on draining the boiler on the Oscar II...

Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Might interest people down the track but I came across a video on draining the boiler on the Oscar II...
    Great find Matt. Thanks for sharing.

K Bean - Dream Machines
    matth3wh likes this.

Hello all,

We have had a few people ask about OPV kits for the Oscar II.

We now have our kit available and ready to go. Can be self installed relatively easily (instructions supplied) or can be done by your local friendly coffee tech.

Feel free to call or PM for details

Cheers

Antony
    (03) 95308992
    Casa Espresso - Home
    matth3wh likes this.

I'll give you a call Antony... wondering if it will be similar to the PDF Elektros instructions I came across here
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Oscar II

A couple of our Oscar II OPV kits have already gone out to some happy customers. We can also fit to new machines and offer full warranty, along with a couple of our other custom Oscar II mods .
    Call or PM for details

Casa Espresso
    http://www.casaespresso.com.au/domes...age-deals.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2