Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Oscar II

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee;
    For a 2L boiler, initial heat up costs of 20-30c and idling costs of approx 10-15c per hour would be ballpark figures. Nothing to worry about

Cheers, Paul
    Says the man with a solid gold tamper
    kbc and level3ninja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Chris has nailed it i think. Coarsen your grind, Aim for 5 seconds before you see coffee and 50-60ml in 30 ish seconds.

Hi Trentski

when you sayaim for 5 seconds before you see coffee do you mean from when button is pushed or after pump kicks in after preinfusion phase?

It not a big big difference but wanted to check.

thanks

Martin

Hi Shane

i normally leave machine on for 20+ minutes before use only do to my routine of a morning. Have used after 10 and a few flushes was more then ready.

loving my oscar 2 pretty quite considering and the steam power is awesome, so easy to get great milk.
    Dimal, matth3wh and kbc like this.

Thanks everyone for the help I'm starting to get better shots, refining my dosing. Got a set of scales coming so I can be more consistent while learning as having issues adjusting the grind and getting dose consistence.
    not sure if it's something that matters but when I find my Stainless screw collection I'll change the shower screen screw over to a countersunk one as noticed that the bolt head leaves a big indent / hole in the coffee puck before I pull a shot as sits so far below the screen.
    beans were 4 weeks old mocopan beans now 6 weeks old, got new beans from online supplier (Costa Rica Tarrazu) but they were roasted Tuesday so think are a bit fresh still.

Just wanted to give a HUGE shoutout to Antony from Casa Espresso for helping me out with a new machine and grinder, I ended up getting the Oscar II and Macao M4D, the coffee from this machine is as good as any coffee I've brought from a cafe so happy with everything.IMG_1325.JPG
    Andy, Dimal, Casa Espresso and 2 others like this.

Oscar II

They look good together on the bench. Just add some quality fresh roasted coffee and it's coffee bliss
    Enjoy!

If you're starting out I highly recommend a Pallo grouphead brush for quick cleaning after making your coffees.
    It and the blank filter basket supplied with your machine helps your machine stay cleaner and coffee tasting great day after day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matth3wh; 10th April 2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    They look good together on the bench. Just add some quality fresh roasted coffee and it's coffee bliss
    Enjoy!

If you're starting out I highly recommend a Pallo grouphead brush for quick cleaning after making your coffees.
    It and the blank filter basket supplied with your machine helps your machine stay cleaner and coffee tasting great day after day.
    thats the next thing I need to do get some fresh coffee beans and yes they got great together I'm very happy with my purchase.
    Dimal, Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Hi Shane.
    A while back a forum member did some calculations. For a 2L boiler, initial heat up costs of 20-30c and idling costs of approx 10-15c per hour would be ballpark figures. Nothing to worry about
    Use the search function to see if you can find the old thread.
    Cheers, Paul
    much appreciated, this place rocks👍
    kbc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Hi Shane

i normally leave machine on for 20+ minutes before use only do to my routine of a morning. Have used after 10 and a few flushes was more then ready.

loving my oscar 2 pretty quite considering and the steam power is awesome, so easy to get great milk.

Thanks mb21

Quote Originally Posted by Amandajayne View Post
    Just wanted to give a HUGE shoutout to Antony from Casa Espresso for helping me out with a new machine and grinder, I ended up getting the Oscar II and Macao M4D, the coffee from this machine is as good as any coffee I've brought from a cafe so happy with everything.IMG_1325.JPG
    Hi Amandajayne,

Not a problem at all.

Shows the strength of this forum that you were able to use it as a resource to help solve a problem

All the best

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    matth3wh likes this.

Hello all,

We have had our hands on the Oscar II for a few months now and it performs really well straight out of the box.
    http://www.casaespresso.com.au/domes...simonelli.html

There are a few small things that we have improved on from factory that we have offered our customers.

One thing we have been working on is our own proprietary OPV kit. This kit will allow the user fine tuning of their extraction pressure. Whilst its not a necessity it will just make this machine a little bit more user friendly.

In the previous model Oscar we used to fit an "anti vac valve" to almost everyone that went out the door. Now the Oscar II has an anti vac valve as standard.... maybe in the future the OPV will be standard from the factory.

We will of course be offering full factory warranty on any machine fitted with our OPV.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 26th April 2017 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Hello all,

We have had our hands on the Oscar II for a few months now and it performs really well straight out of the box.
    http://www.casaespresso.com.au/domes...simonelli.html

There are a few small things that we have improved on from factory that we have offered our customers.

One thing we have been working on is our own proprietary OPV kit. This kit will allow the user fine tuning of their extraction pressure. Whilst its not a necessity it will just make this machine a little bit more user friendly.

In the previous model Oscar we used to fit an "anti vac valve" to almost everyone that went out the door. Now the Oscar II has an anti vac valve as standard.... maybe in the future the OPV will be standard from the factory.

We will of course be offering full factory warranty on any machine fitted with our OPV.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Hi Anthony

You meantion a few small things apart from the OPV are you able to let us know what the other improvements are?

Can the OPV be supplied as a kit so can be DIY installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Hi Anthony

You meantion a few small things apart from the OPV are you able to let us know what the other improvements are?

Can the OPV be supplied as a kit so can be DIY installed?
    Yes we are designing the OPV kit as an item that can be installed DIY. It will come with instructions on how to do this.

I will send you a PM with the other things we do......

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso - Home

Might interest people down the track but I came across a video on draining the boiler on the Oscar II...

Dimal likes this.

Hello all,

We have had a few people ask about OPV kits for the Oscar II.

We now have our kit available and ready to go. Can be self installed relatively easily (instructions supplied) or can be done by your local friendly coffee tech.

Feel free to call or PM for details

Cheers

Antony
    (03) 95308992
    Casa Espresso - Home
    matth3wh likes this.

I'll give you a call Antony... wondering if it will be similar to the PDF Elektros instructions I came across here

Oscar II

A couple of our Oscar II OPV kits have already gone out to some happy customers. We can also fit to new machines and offer full warranty, along with a couple of our other custom Oscar II mods .
    Call or PM for details

Casa Espresso
    http://www.casaespresso.com.au/domes...age-deals.html

Oscar II

I've finally stopped procrastinating and have installed my Oscar II OPV kit from Antony @ Casa Espresso. Be interested to hear other's feed back so far. Those who have the OPV fitted.

So I've finally gotten around to using my day off to install the OPV kit and I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner. I probably thought it might take longer than it actually did or that I'd be interrupted by some family activity in the middle of pulling the panels off. (tick)

So far I've liked the few post OPV kit coffees more. I will do some more extensive coffee making sessions tomorrow afternoon and on Sunday. My wife said before and after coffees tasted good.

Some initial thoughts on pulling apart the Oscar II. It's easy to access everything inside the case and seems like a really sensible layout and decent construction for the money.

Having previously looked inside a Silvia, Bezzera BZ02, Magica and La Marzocco Linea Mini the Oscar II felt spacious in comparison (yeah yeah, LM LM is packed with lots more goodies).

Thinking of previous descaling discussion it was really super quick and easy to get the machine to a point where you can drain the boiler with the right hex key.

Anyway, here's to more tasty coffees.

Some pics of the OPV upgrade and the hood off...

BEFORE

THE OPV MAGIC

AFTER

STILL MAKES COFFEE

And hot chocolates...

Last edited by matth3wh; 1 Week Ago at 10:08 PM.

A poll question for other Oscar II owners... how long before the "click" and your coffee drips down?

I'm talking about your pre-infusion time that is...

I've wondered about the pre-infusion time on my machine as it has always been quite long out of the box. The pre-infusion has always been about 10-12 seconds. I'll get some video up about it.

More tasty coffees coming out of Oscar II...

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    A poll question for other Oscar II owners... how long before the "click" and your coffee drips down?

I'm talking about your pre-infusion time that is...

I've wondered about the pre-infusion time on my machine as it has always been quite long out of the box. The pre-infusion has always been about 10-12 seconds. I'll get some video up about it.
    For me using 18.5g dose in standard NS double basket and naked portafilter.
    click happens at 3 seconds after pressing button and coffee show on bottom of basket aroun 5-7 seconds (from button pressed) and coffee starts to drip from basket to cup 8-12 seconds (from button pressed).
    hthats for a good to great coffee. I've had longer (15 seconds +) to first drips but was very restricted shot.
    matth3wh likes this.

Oscar II

Just been tasting espresso shots post OPV kit upgrade. Definitely tasting better. Richer flavours. Syrupy. Like back in the e61 days.

Won't be able to sleep now.
    Last edited by matth3wh; 1 Week Ago at 10:37 PM.

How do you use the oscar 2 in manual mode, when there's no dedicated button? Do you hold in one of the single / double buttons?

Oscar II

Hi iampivot. I don't think that mode exists. If it does then I'd like to know too. (Beyond what I describe below...)

To program the buttons you hold down the right button for 10 seconds and then press the button you'd like to set the timing for... that starts the pump and you press the same button again to stop the shot and lock in that timing to that particular button.

"manual mode" is if you do that process from scratch each time. Or via the setup below.

See mb21's example of setting the buttons ... one button you might set for a short 5 second flush. The other button is set for a long timed shot - say 50 seconds. You press to start the long timed shot and then press again at any stage before the end of the time to stop the shot.

Hope that made sense.

Oscar II

Straight from Nuova Simonelli...

I've even thrown in a free doppio espresso shot

Tanzania AA 18.8g in and 40g out in about 26 sec (after click and slight ramp up)

18g VST basket.
    Dimal likes this.

Hi Matt
    any idea why when setting the program of each button the manual says to do with coffee in the basket?

That doppio looks nice, 26 seconds from button pressed, click after 3 seconds or coffee starting to drip?
    What type and size baskets are you using? From memory thought you told me previously that your using VST baskets but not sure what size.

Oscar II

Speculation:
    It could well be that the instructions were taken directly from the Musica and that fits with a volumetric based dose.

But probably just more to get a set timing right with a set amount of coffee in the basket.

Of course with timed buttons you may want to go longer some times and that then creates a limitation. Like when you change over to new beans.

Adjusted post with VST 18g
    Mb21 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2