Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Oscar II

Oscar II

It's here in stock ! Retail sales are now with the first customers.

Comments and feedback open...
    Dimal, elfinke, matth3wh and 1 others like this.

Oscar II

Will be interested to hear customer feedback on the Oscar II. Should be a good quality and fun home machine.

Keen to know as well, almost bought this one but it ended up being a bit out of budget in the end

Any feedback? I'm right on the cusp of pulling the trigger on one and will probably do so this week, with many available for around $1450 with free delivery, there doesn't seem to be any other machine within cooee of the Oscar II for milk-based coffee drinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by elfinke View Post
    Any feedback? I'm right on the cusp of pulling the trigger on one and will probably do so this week, with many available for around $1450 with free delivery, there doesn't seem to be any other machine within cooee of the Oscar II for milk-based coffee drinkers.
    Trying to be unbiased as a sponsor and supplier of this machine I am more then happy with performance of this machine.

We have one at home at the moment, replacing one of our E61 machines. It is performing well from my point of view and the kids are loving the steam power for their hot chocolates.

Its great bang for your buck.

send us a PM or call if we can help you at all

regards

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    (03) 9530 8992
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

Hi Antony. Agreed on good value for money. I'm keen to see it in action. Hopefully a Sydney trip soon.
    kbc likes this.

Whoops, I just sent off an email via the form on the forums, before I noticed the couple PMs. Hopefully that doesn't bugger everything up for the sponsors - apologies!

Hi Antony and other Oscar II users. Just wondering practically how you find the time based doses?

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Hi Antony and other Oscar II users. Just wondering practically how you find the time based doses?
    Hi Matt,

Good question.

The Oscar II really is a bit of a hybrid between the old Oscar and the Musica. In my opinion I cant see us selling many Musicas now given the updates to the Oscar and the price difference between the two models.

The Oscar II doesn't have flow metres as you know, it is either timed or manual control like the old model.

The timed doses works well and seems to reproduce consistent shot volumes when not changing grind/dose. It is easy to program to what ever time you like.
    However we have been using mainly in manual mode as I like to be able to control the shot.

Hope this helps.

In stock now for those that want one.

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    (03) 9530 8992

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Oscar II at MICE:

What? No video? I want to see it in action!!
    Magic_Matt and matth3wh like this.

Our demo is plugged in! Fantastic steam pressure

Casa Espresso
    03 9530 8992

Oscar II at MICE:

Looks awesome!
    Dimal likes this.

I agree...

Definitely not a plain s/s box...

Mal.
    Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

Super happy with my new Oscar II. still learning but getting good coffee and the occasional great one from it over the past few days. Need to work on my dosing as think I'm over dosing so any help on dosing amount would be great. Not keen on the shower screen bolt not being flush with the screen though.... might just be me being too particular thought and make no difference.

IMG_4876.jpg

Picture of new toys

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Super happy with my new Oscar II. still learning but getting good coffee and the occasional great one from it over the past few days. Need to work on my dosing as think I'm over dosing so any help on dosing amount would be great. Not keen on the shower screen bolt not being flush with the screen though.... might just be me being too particular thought and make no difference.
    Hi MB,

Glad you are happy. It is certainly a well built and thought out machine.

I agree with you regarding the shower screen bolt, although I know why NS have done this. With the old model Oscar (and still on NS commercial machines) a counter sunk screw was provided that sat flush with the screen. The only issue with this was that if over tightened or not removed at lest every 12 months it would tighten up and be very hard to remove leading to a stripped out screw head, bloody knuckles and frustrated owners.

So NS have sent them all out with the larger hex bolt that is much easier to undo and therefore remove the shower screen and service.

We can provide the Oscar II with the original Hex bolt OR a counter sunk stainless screw that can replace the Hex bolt at the users discretion.

Cheers

Antony
    (03) 9530 8992
    CASA ESPRESSO
    www.casaepresso.com.au
    matth3wh likes this.

Oscar II

Hi mb21.

Glad to hear it's going well.

Are you using the NS baskets that come with the machine or an alternative like VST?

Worth weighing your dose at least to start to see what is too much :-)

Some baskets say on them 14g or 18g

Hi mb21.

Are you using the NS baskets that come with the machine or an alternative like VST?

Good point Matt,

The standard baskets have a ridge/line on them about 3mm from the top. This is the correct level for your coffee once it is tamped.

Most VST baskets or the like are ridge less and this can make it hard to gauge levels for a new machine/ grinder combination.

MB21, if you are using the standard baskets, dose to a slight mound and then tamp. Nine times out of ten this will give you a tamped level to the ridge on the NS baskets

Cheers

Antony
    Dimal likes this.

Great points Matt.

It's always a good idea to upgrade to a precision shower screen, basket and tamper.

Also, weighing is great and recommended. You can read about this in my 20 step workflow here: www.kbean.com.au/training/

Enjoy your new toys mb21
    Yes upgrading screens and baskets is in most cases beneficial, sometimes however I really think it is worth getting used to the standard machine before upgrading.

Most manufacturers have good standard setups and how do you know if its an improvement on if you haven't a standard to measure it against?

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Antony
    Dimal, matth3wh and trentski like this.

Not keen on the shower screen bolt not being flush with the screen though.... might just be me being too particular thought and make no difference.
    How far proud of the surface of the shower screen does the bolt head sit? I'd be inclined to think it doesn't matter as you need to have headspace above your coffee bed anyway. Unless the bolt head is unreasonably large.

Could always opt for a countersunk s/s 'socket head' machine screw.
    Easy enough to find...

Mal.

Am interested now in Oscar 11 am in Donvale.. Who is the closest stockist for me too view this machine.. Will be looking for package as I have the Sunbeam grinder that came with the 6910 that would not be suitable for this type of machine.....Am ready too purchase... Are these machines also quieter..
    matth3wh likes this.

Worth your while to make an appointment with Antony at Casa Espresso and make the trip to Gardenvale to check out the Oscar and Macap M2M. From personal experience he's very knowledgeable and great to deal with.
    Dimal likes this.

Agree...

Antony at Casa Espresso will definitely look after you Mousies...

Mal.
    Magic_Matt and matth3wh like this.

Thanks everyone am going too get one work out the closer one.. I am looking for a package as need a grinder.. so it is either Northcote or Gardenvale... I have been reading about baskets is there a need for us too get the other baskets that have been mentioned and the screw. This will not be plumbed in.. Thx again so glad I got the advice and bypassed the Torino.. Will list my Micro Cimbali also.. Need too move that..

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Could always opt for a countersunk s/s 'socket head' machine screw.
    Easy enough to find...

Mal.
    Mal,

Here is a picture of the standard hex bolt on our demo and then replaced with a countersunk screw.
    The bolt just didn't look right to me, much happier with the countersunk finish

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso

Looks much better than the I. however still does not come with the OPV/Anti-Vac valve?

Quote Originally Posted by sacsnob View Post
    Looks much better than the I. however still does not come with the OPV/Anti-Vac valve?
    Sacsnob,

The Oscar II does have an Anti vac valve, or as the Italians refer to it "no vacuum valve". Their wording can be confusing

Cheers

Antony

Counter sunk definitely looks "right" Antony! :-)

Wondering whether the standard NS portafilters are stainless steel ?

Got to say that after a weekend clean/flush and flush on LM I appreciated how much easier it is to keep things clean with SS.
    Making coffee life cleaner (Tm)

Hoping to get to see the Oscar II in the metal this week. I'm seeing if my friend will consider it as a worthy upgrade for his aging Gaggia classic.
    Dimal and Casa Espresso like this.

Counter sunk definitely looks "right" Antony! :-)

Wondering whether the standard NS portafilters are stainless steel ?

Got to say that after a weekend clean/flush and flush on LM I appreciated how much easier it is to keep things clean with SS.
    Making coffee life cleaner (Tm)

Hoping to get to see the Oscar II in the metal this week. I'm seeing if my friend will consider it as a worthy upgrade for his aging Gaggia classic.
    The group handles are plated, not stainless.

Yes as my dad used to always say with his engineering background "if it doesn't look right then its probably not, if it does look right then it probably is"

Cheers

Antony

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Mal,

Here is a picture of the standard hex bolt on our demo and then replaced with a countersunk screw.
    The bolt just didn't look right to me, much happier with the countersunk finish

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso
    Yep, much, much better mate...

Mal.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Doing some research for a friend upgrading from an EM6910, some conflicting info on how the group is heated? Thermosyphon or cartridge heaters?

Also, how is thermal stability?

Quote Originally Posted by thebookfreak58 View Post
    Doing some research for a friend upgrading from an EM6910, some conflicting info on how the group is heated? Thermosyphon or cartridge heaters?

Also, how is thermal stability?
    Hello,

Its is 100% an HX (Thermosyphon). The Oscar has never had cartridge heaters.

The Oscar has one of the largest boilers in its class; 2L with tremendous steam pressure, 58mm commercial size group head etc.

Thermal stability/recovery is good but it really depends what you are comparing it to. Would have it hands down over an EM6910

What other machines are you considering?

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    matth3wh and thebookfreak58 like this.

Out comes the tools have a spare group handle asking to lose it bottom

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    How far proud of the surface of the shower screen does the bolt head sit? I'd be inclined to think it doesn't matter as you need to have headspace above your coffee bed anyway. Unless the bolt head is unreasonably large.
    As per Anthony's photos the bolt head sits 3-4mm below the screen. Thought I had a counter sunk screw but none of my Stainless are the right size and think blacksteel version 'could' leave an interesting taste.

The group handles are plated, not stainless.

Yes as my dad used to always say with his engineering background "if it doesn't look right then its probably not, if it does look right then it probably is"

Cheers

Antony
    Are the handles 'glued' on with threadlock or does the square nut under the dome end cap undo it? Either way it's tight and trying not to break the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mousies View Post
    Thanks everyone am going too get one work out the closer one.. I am looking for a package as need a grinder.. so it is either Northcote or Gardenvale... I have been reading about baskets is there a need for us too get the other baskets that have been mentioned and the screw. This will not be plumbed in.. Thx again so glad I got the advice and bypassed the Torino.. Will list my Micro Cimbali also.. Need too move that..
    come with NS double and single baskets. I'd get used to the machine using those and if fell the need to upgrade do so later so you can see if make a difference

Hi mb21.

hi Matth3wh

using the NS double basket (single is in the draw to be forever lost) also have a EP HQ 14g double but want to get use to the NS basket first. Any idea best dose for the NS double?

thanks

martin

As per Anthony's photos the bolt head sits 3-4mm below the screen. Thought I had a counter sunk screw but none of my Stainless are the right size and think blacksteel version 'could' leave an interesting taste.
    Yeah I see what you mean. It's still hard to say how much it matters. If the portafilters are nice and deep and can take deep filter baskets it probably doesn't matter as you'll be able to create a good amount of head space above the coffee bed. What you don't want it the bolt head touching the dry coffee bed before the extraction is started. My old Brugnetti Simona Top had an almost identical shower screen bolt when I got it and I ended up changing it. It was a 20yr old machine with relatively shallow portafilters and even though I wasn't overloading them the bolt head would usually touch the coffee bed. I ended up swapping to a dome headed cap screw which worked really well, plus it was a lot easier to get out than a standard screw (why do people still insist on using standard screws!!).
    matth3wh likes this.

Hello,

Its is 100% an HX (Thermosyphon). The Oscar has never had cartridge heaters.

The Oscar has one of the largest boilers in its class; 2L with tremendous steam pressure, 58mm commercial size group head etc.

Thermal stability/recovery is good but it really depends what you are comparing it to. Would have it hands down over an EM6910

What other machines are you considering?

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Cool cool. Less interested in recovery and more with thermal stability (ie. that it's tuned well and not a dragon when sitting idle).

To be honest the short list would be (budget of around ~$1500):

* BDB (not super keen due to appliance style)
    * Oscar II (simple design, minimal electronics)
    * DE1 (similar concerns regarding reliability, but seems like the essentials for good coffee will be solid)
    * second hand machine (Rocket, Bezzera etc)

Oscar sounds like it will tick all the boxes. My friend essentially is looking for something with more steam power for when they have visitors. The coffee geek in me wants to ensure the shots being pulled are at the right temp and no surfing required

using the NS double basket (single is in the draw to be forever lost) also have a EP HQ 14g double but want to get use to the NS basket first. Any idea best dose for the NS double?
    martin
    Hi Martin
    Likely to be 14g. So you could start there and then go plus or minus 1g to see what happens. I'd guess the EP HQ basket will give better results but then perhaps NS have improved OEM baskets. All manufacturers have cause to up their game.

It's always a good idea to upgrade to a precision shower screen, basket and tamper.
    )
    With Antony on this one. Stock shower screen and basket should be perfectly adequate for a few years especially during the learning phase. Then if happy no need to upgrade. The VST baskets can be more difficult to work with if your dose, grind and tamp arent perfect.

Standard tampers are usually crap though so an upgrade from a plastic tamper is definitely worthwhile.
    Dimal and Casa Espresso like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebookfreak58 View Post
    Cool cool. Less interested in recovery and more with thermal stability (ie. that it's tuned well and not a dragon when sitting idle).

To be honest the short list would be (budget of around ~$1500):

* BDB (not super keen due to appliance style)
    * Oscar II (simple design, minimal electronics)
    * DE1 (similar concerns regarding reliability, but seems like the essentials for good coffee will be solid)
    * second hand machine (Rocket, Bezzera etc)

Oscar sounds like it will tick all the boxes. My friend essentially is looking for something with more steam power for when they have visitors. The coffee geek in me wants to ensure the shots being pulled are at the right temp and no surfing required
    All machines with merit.

Although the DE1 looks a little out of place to me in this group. Its going to be a great machine when it comes to market but I would think would attract a different sort of user to someone looking at Breville DB or Oscar II.

As for the hissing dragon, these days all good HX machines don't need the fabled cooling flush. In days gone by with hot running Italian spec machines yes, but not now.

Cheers

Antony
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 5th April 2017 at 07:20 PM.
    thebookfreak58 likes this.

Are the handles 'glued' on with threadlock or does the square nut under the dome end cap undo it? Either way it's tight and trying not to break the handle?
    The square nut definitely does undo.

A bit of force is OK, we regularly use a shifter on the group handle spouts and handle....

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Mb21 likes this.

[QUOTE=Casa Espresso;604521

As for the hissing dragon, these days all good HX machines don't need the fabled cooling flush. In days gone by with hot running Italian spec machines yes, but not now.

Cheers

Antony[/QUOTE]

any chance of sharing your routine of using machine?
    im getting some bitterness I'm my shots, get 60ml in 27-30 seconds, tamp has finished puck level with ridge line on NS double basket and coffee starts to exit portafilter spouts around 14-16 seconds after pushing double button. Tried changing grind a round but bitterness still there. Tried a cooling flush but not helping.

any ideas to improve shots? Nice in milk not great as espresso.

im getting some bitterness I'm my shots, get 60ml in 27-30 seconds, tamp has finished puck level with ridge line on NS double basket and coffee starts to exit portafilter spouts around 14-16 seconds after pushing double button. Tried changing grind a round but bitterness still there. Tried a cooling flush but not helping.

Ok,

If you can send me a clip of your extraction it will help

Generally speaking bitterness comes from the coffee or under extracted shots (ie when the coffee is flowing too fast/ grind two course or under dosed)

A burnt taste will be when the flow through the coffee is too slow or too hot,

Your dose level seems right.

Is the coffee freshly ground? what is the coffee? What is the flow like through the group head?

Feel free to call me if required

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    (03) 9530 8992
    matth3wh likes this.

You might have have a few things going on there. Your dwell time is long and the flow/volume sounds too quick. I think you're too fine in grind, underdosed, and getting some channeling. I have seen this before in the Simonelli basket on the old Oscar. When you hit the sweet spot all will be good. I'm sure Casa can help you after seeing a quick vid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You might have have a few things going on there. Your dwell time is long and the flow/volume sounds too quick. I think you're too fine in grind, underdosed, and getting some channeling. I have seen this before in the Simonelli basket on the old Oscar. When you hit the sweet spot all will be good. I'm sure Casa can help you after seeing a quick vid.
    Flow time definitely seems quick for the volume. Under extraction = biterness

Chris has nailed it i think. Coarsen your grind, Aim for 5 seconds before you see coffee and 50-60ml in 30 ish seconds.

Hi gang, I have been doing some research for about 2 weeks now and have found this forum to be outstanding with its wealth of knowledge and advice. I am considering the Oscar but have a question regarding the power consumption. With the 2L boiler, is it expensive to run, how long does it take to warm up? The machine would only be making 2 latte's a day ( maybe 4 on the weekends).
    Cheers in advance
    Shane
    matth3wh likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast