Thread: Present for Wife. Recommendations Please. She loves Lattes.

Present for Wife. Recommendations Please. She loves Lattes.

Unfortunately, I dont drink coffee so I have no idea about all this talk.

However, I want to buy my wife a birthday present and she loves her coffee. Currently, she is drinking instant but she loves her lattes when we go to the coffee shop.

I've had a quick google and it seems the most common recommendation is the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine for expressos which I assume lattes too?

So I have a few questions if you dont mind.

1. Is the Breville BES870XL Barista Express the best value machine for the job? I know these wont last as long as professional stuff but for the price, it's great value for $679!
    2. I can only find the Breville BES870 Barista Express in Australian shops. Is this the same as the BES870XL?
    3. Are there any other recommendations for under $1000?
    4. It is really important that I dont have to wait more than 1-2 minutes for the machine to heat up

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/brevi...machine-bes870
    Breville Barista Express Manual Coffee Machine - Coffee Machines - Super Weekend | Harvey Norman Australia

Thank you!
    Last edited by Serpeant; 15th March 2017 at 11:32 AM.

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Serpeant.
    I used to be a previous owner of the Brevista BES870XL, so hopefully my answers will be some benefit to you.

1. By best value, I'm assuming your budget is around that mark? if so, that's probably the 'best' you can get with a machine and grinder. Also in the past there's been ebay sales/ promotions where the price have dropped dramatically down to potentially $600 or lower.
    2. I'm 99% sure that the BES870XL is the same as the BES870.
    3. If you can stretch it (you suggested for under $1000), a lelit combi from jetblacks is roughly $1100. Made in Italy, designed to last. Or you can opt for a dedicated grinder and machine for a bit more. There are pros and cons on having dedicated grinder and machine vs combination machines. For example when I had my 870xl, I upgraded my grinder to a macap m2m and found that I used up much more bench space than needed.

You'll also need to ask between your wife and yourself; who will be making the coffees at home? I'd recommend maybe taking a home barista course, and going from there to see the process of coffee making is enjoyed as well. It is not for everyone.

Thank you for your advice!

I heard that the Lelit Combi takes 10 minutes to heat up. Is that correct? She wouldnt want to wait more that 1-2 minutes at most. Otherwise, I would consider this machine!

Also, I cant seem to see my original post in this thread. Did I do something wrong?

I am not sure where your original post went. Maybe it was accidently deleted or something along those lines.

In regards to heat up time yes I'd imagine it'll take much longer than 1-2 minutes. Pros and cons of single boiler vs thermoblock is that the heatup on the thermoblock is faster, however it is more temperature unstable and takes longer to recover between shots. Also steaming power is much less with a thermoblock.

I moved from the 870xl to a profitec 500 and despite having a warmup time of 20-30 minutes, I find that it's worth it as I prefer the consistency (I always found the 870XL there's a big difference in first and second shot, whilst no discrepencies on the profitec 500), and the steaming power (takes approximately 20-30 seconds to be able to get half decent microfoam milk vs ~ 10-15 on the profitec 500.

You can always get a power adapter that switches the machine on at the same time every day

Grinder plus a French press.

Present for Wife. Recommendations Please. She loves Lattes.

Best option would be hunting to fit the sunbeam em7000 and breville smart grinder in your price range. Dont underestimate how convenient it is to brew espresso and steam milk at the same time. The sunbeam 7000 will do that but the breville 870 wont

She wouldnt want to wait more that 1-2 minutes at most. Otherwise, I would consider this machine!
    In that case nestle red mug coffee machine is your only option

Quote Originally Posted by Serpeant View Post
    Thank you for your advice!

I heard that the Lelit Combi takes 10 minutes to heat up. Is that correct? She wouldnt want to wait more that 1-2 minutes at most. Otherwise, I would consider this machine!
    Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    In that case nestle red mug coffee machine is your only option
    Not quite - the Sunbeam 6910 / 7000 take about 75 seconds to warm up. One of the many reasons why they are a great home machine (and why my two group La Pavoni may as well be moved on - 35 minutes at 20Amps before it will think about making a decent shot).

Note: it is still critical to preflush the 6910 / 7000 with a single shot (just like every other machine) as not all parts will be up to temperature. That will push it to just under 2 minutes and it is literally "ready to rock".

TampIt

If you can stretch to $1200 I would personally recommend the BES920. It only takes minutes to heat up. If she still find it too long to wait it has a builtin timer.