Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By catbert6
  • 1 Post By catbert6

Thread: Rancilio Sylvia - Trouble fixing flow rate

Rancilio Sylvia - Trouble fixing flow rate

Hi All

I have a 7 year old Rancilio Sylvia which has delivered good service until recently.

The principal difficulty is a slow flow rate through the group head, which has declined to around 60 mls a minute. The steam wand still delivers hot water at around 4 time this rate. The slow flow through the group head occurs with the filter basket in place or off, full or empty. Coffee was weak with no real crema.

A search of the forum suggest I should be getting around 60 mls in 10 seconds (closer to the flow rate through the wand), and also suggested a possible problem between the boiler and the group head.

I decided repair was not in my skill range and I took the machine in to Cosmorex in Canberra and described the problem. They determined the expansion valve was faulty, replaced it, and tested the machine declaring all is OK. This cost over $300.

After getting home and priming the machine, it is still only delivering around 60 mls a minute, which I think is inadequate. Cosmorex have offered to have another look at the machine, but spending further money on it is probably uneconomical.

Can fellow users confirm this rate is not normal, and suggest where I should be looking for the problem?

Over $300 for an expansion valve repair? That job, including testing, might take 30-45 minutes and the part isn't that expensive. Not sure how they can justify that.

Definitely take it back and ensure they understand that your initial complaint was not resolved. I would also expect that they don't charge you additional labour as the problem was not resolved.

I would be suspecting the 3 way solenoid valve to have a partial blockage which will cause a slow flow at the group head. Also the solenoid water delivery tube, which extends up into the boiler, may also have a blockage.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Over $300 for an expansion valve repair? That job, including testing, might take 30-45 minutes and the part isn't that expensive. Not sure how they can justify that.
    Seemed expensive to me to, and I would gladly consider any other recommendations for servicing in Canberra. Certainly feeling less than happy.

Thanks for the pointers - I will think carefully about any advice they provide ahead of commissioning any further work. If I ask them to do any further work, I think I will also ask them to demonstrate that the problem has been resolved before I give them more money. It is certainly irritating to do a 50 km round trip solely to collect your coffee machine, only to find it is still doing exactly what you paid to have fixed.
    Last edited by catbert6; 25th March 2017 at 04:16 PM.

I took the Rancilio Sylvia back into Cosmorex today, and had it fixed on the spot by the head technician, Mick. There were no further charges. It was, as suggested, a blockage in the solenoid valve either from the water or dislodged in descaling. Back to pulling shots in 15 seconds or so, with a nice crema.

The responsiveness was reassuring, as was the acknowledgement of how irritating it was to have the original work not address the key issue. We spent some time discussing a possible upgrade to a HX machine (after, not before, the machine had been repaired at no additional cost), and, in light of their approach to rectifying the initial failing, I would certainly give thought to purchasing from them.
    Dimal and sprezzatura like this.

Now the proud owner of a Unico Splendour from Cosmorex - it really is a step up and I can see the potential for further improvements- milk frothing is still a bit of a challenge, as others have noted
    Dimal likes this.