• 1 Post By jab
  • 2 Post By Andy
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By readeral
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: Need some recommendations for new Machine

Need some recommendations for new Machine

1st time poster ..
    I have a Sunbeam 6910 and matching grinder.
    Am seriously thinking of upgrading too a newer machine as this model is the one the paint peeled off and is very noisy. Has been serviced regularly but not sure if it worth another one. Is about 8 years old from memory,
    Make about 2-4 cups a day.
    Can I get any recommendations on what too by was looking at Torino or Breville.. Prefer too sit around $1.000-1500. Looking for a bundle package.
    Previous too these I had a La Cimbala ..
    Am just a lady who loves her cappuccinos fix and often have friends drop in hence the 4 sometimes
    Have read a lot of posts and getting confused.
    I am not a professional so the just hit and make is for me. Hence the La Cimbala sitting in spare room.. sad really
    Can I get some pointers..
    Torino with scratch and dent from outlet now down too $1.000 as it has scratch or dent, from the reviews I have read, maybe it is just a refurbished one as there seems too be many already making there way back with problems
    Casa Espresso likes this.

The breville bes920 and smart grinder pro would be a good user friendly step up in my view. I started with the em6910, and still have it for a back up, but the 920 is a lot better. It is a large machine though taking up quite a bit more space on the bench.

The bcg820 grinder has better dose control than the sunbeam 0480 and more adjustment and makes a lot less mess.

Thx prydey for your info,

Need some recommendations for new Machine

Hi Mousies. Hope it's going well.

You can likely get the bes920 dual boiler at the Breville outlet store if you're in Sydney/ Melbourne.

Otherwise the Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2 is a really good buy. You could likely get it and *just* have enough to keep to your $1500 budget. Perhaps a little bit over that for Oscar 2 plus Brev Smart grinder/alternative.

The Oscar 2 should last for at least 10-15 years and be repairable vs the Brev/Sunbeam pathway of lasting maybe 1-4 years and then going in the bin.

Contact site sponsors here for the NS Oscar 2... Casa Espresso / Di Bartoli / b [listed in no particular order - based on your location]

Good luck in your hunt.

Thank you so much Mathh3wh ...am in Melbourne.. I do not mind going over the $1500 to get a machine that will last and not be in the bin in 4 years...

I am not a professional so the just hit and make is for me. Hence the La Cimbala sitting in spare room.. sad really

Mousies,
    Why not forget all the other toy machines and crank up the La Cimbali?
    I have one at home and they are the best machines in my opinion.
    cheers,
    Mick.
    Javaphile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post

Mousies,
    Why not forget all the other toy machines and crank up the La Cimbali?
    I have one at home and they are the best machines in my opinion.
    cheers,
    Mick.
    I tend to agree Mick. But then I used to have a manual lever Electra - you know, the old "masochists please bang head on door before entering" initial learning curve. Still better coffee than any other "non manual lever" machine I have ever played with in anger (including some $20K+ monsters).

The point is the lady wishes to have a similar level of ease to the 6910.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousies View Post
    Thank you so much Mathh3wh ...am in Melbourne.. I do not mind going over the $1500 to get a machine that will last and not be in the bin in 4 years...
    G'day Mousies

I actually have a 2008 SB6910, a 2014 SB7000 and a 2 group La Pavoni commercial espresso machine. I marginally prefer the 6910 over the 7000 (I am old school with milk frothing) and I only fire up the La Pav if I am being descended upon by the multitude (i.e. the whole family) or it is not worth the time delay and power consumption (even with solar on the roof it still draws 20 amps from the grid for 35 to 40 minutes). If anything, the 6910 gives marginally better coffee out of the three, however no regular visitor (including some coffee fanatics) have picked the difference (yet).

My take:

Consider a SB 7000 if noise is your only issue. Also the Breville dual boiler is a contender. Just expect to see your power bills skyrocket, as they will with any boiler machine. Reason: you would be heating up a lot of extra water for such light use i.e. the whole boiler, which is why they take so long to warm up. As you know, the 6910 is ready and preflushed in under 90 seconds. Expect most boiler machines to take 20+ minutes. Oh, and IMO small boiler machines actually make inferior coffee anyway.

If you can get 8 years out of a 6910, you must be doing something right. Personally, apart from noise level, I cannot see the extra value of a 7000 over a 6910 or a Torino over a 7000 but they are all related technology - you will only heat the water you need.

I wouldn't bother to upgrade the grinder unless it is giving grief. The "generic Smartgrinder" and the "generic 480" are about the same performance*, the Breville just has a few more user friendly bits "for a few dollars more".

TampIt

*Both grinders are notorious for varying quite widely in performance. A good one is really good performance & value, a shocker creates undrinkable coffee, most are somewhere in between. Your current 480 must be giving good coffee, if ain't broke, why change it? Ease of use must be OK for you. Thinking: It is only a grinder for Chrissake, not hard to use. Those who need the extra smarts of a Smartgrinder are either newbies or the kind of people who block a draft under a door by buying a robot with a thick foot (Isaac Asimov).

Unfortunately the old pull down level La Cimbali has been sitting in the study for 2 years now.. I did switch it on and the safety switch did not go off so that is good.
    Just have been spoilt I guess with new machines, that I find easier too you than the La Cimbali. Don not worry has caused a few arguments in this house as it is still his favorite machine which is going on the for sale site ebay. I know I am mad but I am not the coffee fanatic in the house these toys suit me better than the La Cimbali Micro. I won one but I will replace it with the Oscar 11 shortly..
    kbc likes this.

jab
    G'day there Paul.........Ok, budget $2000, enjoy my flat whites........best combo to buy mate ????

russ
    matth3wh likes this.

jab
    thanks....i'll take these. Send me your bank details, i'll do a direct credit

russ

Can anyone tell me how much for a package for the Oscar 11 and grinder....

Blog Entries
    Try the quote form (linked top and bottom of every page)...

CoffeeSnobs Site Sponsors Quote

It goes to all site sponsors and those that can help will contact you direct.
    Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

Thanks Paul it is up for Sale we certainly do not need 2 machines as I will get the Oscar 11 in the next few weeks and matching grinder, then I will have the Sunbeam sitting around without the La Cimbali... It would need an overhaul it is great machine but time too go.. I know I should be doing the the La Cimbali up and selling it is crazy but do I need 3 machines I had a laugh.. I am actually scared of it ... I had a laugh

Mousies,
    I'm interested in your La Cimbali,as would others could be,may I suggest you present the la Cimbali into this forum's for sale section with some images and a suggested sell price?
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Last edited by mulquemi; 18th April 2017 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Mousies,
    I'm interested in your La Cimbali,as would others be,may we have some images and a suggested sell price,please?
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    This isn't an advertising forum for items for sale on eBay.

Java "Bleh" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mousies View Post
    Hi Mousies,

There are a number of grinder options that you could match with the Oscar II. We have agreat package with the Macap M2M. A few weeks ago we packaged an Oscar II with an M4D for another forum member. There are some photos of their setup earlier on in this thread .Oscar II

It really depends on your budget and requirements, but in my opinion the M2M is a perfect match for the Oscar.

We have an Oscar II and a Macap M2M (and other grinder options) here on display in our showroom.

Feel free to call and make a time to come and visit

Regards

Casa Espresso
    (03) 9530 8992
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 18th April 2017 at 07:13 PM.

jab
    I have a query.........( no disrespect intended )..

We have two oscar 11 suppliers commenting here, and that's great. My query, are both "authorised" sellers/reps, of these machines. ( warranty,repairs,parts etc )...

russ

Quote Originally Posted by jab View Post
    I have a query.........( no disrespect intended )..

We have two oscar 11 suppliers commenting here, and that's great. My query, are both "authorised" sellers/reps, of these machines. ( warranty,repairs,parts etc )...

russ
    I know that we, CASA ESPRESSO, are 100% authorised supplier/ seller/ rep, parts supplier and warranty agent for the Oscar II. As well as all other Nuova Simonelli domestic and commercial equipment.

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    I know that we, CASA ESPRESSO, are 100% authorised supplier/ seller/ rep, parts supplier and warranty agent for the Oscar II. As well as all other Nuova Simonelli domestic and commercial equipment.

Cheers

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    So... you're both authorised sellers of the Oscar II? Coming from the one importer? Can't quite grasp the weird posts going on here, why is this even in question?
    kbc likes this.

Hello all,

An update for anyone who is looking at the Oscar II

We have had our hands on the Oscar II for a few months now and it performs really well straight out of the box.

http://www.casaespresso.com.au/domes...simonelli.html

There are a few small things that we have improved on from factory that we have offered our customers.

One thing we have been working on is our own proprietary OPV kit. This kit will allow the user fine tuning of their extraction pressure. Whilst its not a necessity it will just make this machine a little bit more user friendly.

In the previous model Oscar we used to fit an "anti vac valve" to almost everyone that went out the door. Now the Oscar II has an anti vac valve as standard.... maybe in the future the OPV will be standard from the factory.

We will of course be offering full factory warranty on any machine fitted with our OPV.

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso - Home
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 26th April 2017 at 04:47 PM.
    Dimal, matth3wh and trentski like this.