Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hyggeligbo
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By level3ninja

Thread: Looking for my first serious coffee + grinding machine combo!

Looking for my first serious coffee + grinding machine combo!

Hi guys. I'm a beginner to the home coffee machine space (usually roll with an Aero Press at home, and a drip machine at work with the odd espresso here and there using our in-house Sunbeam machine)

I've heard positive reviews about the Oscar II, which I'm feeling like is a serious contender to purchase. A trusted source suggested pairing it with the Breville Smart Grinder Pro. How does this combo sound? Is there a more [referable pairing out there I should be aware of? Aiming to keep it as close to $1500 as I can but obviously, even with the two products mentioned, I'd be going over that slightly.

My limited understanding tells me that for my price point I'd only be after a single boiler machine (the whole 'cheap double boiler which will be in the bin in 4 years' vs 'more expensive, but better quality single boiler which will last 10+ years' argument)

Any help would be appreciated! Located in Wollongong, NSW if that's any help re. sourcing machines/shipping etc.

Thanks a lot
    kbc likes this.

Welcome mate...

Best bet would be to use the QUOTE FORM located on the bottom of every page...
    All Site Sponsors will receive it and those in the best position to assist you will respond.

All the best,
    Mal.
    kbc likes this.

Other people will be able to advise on machine better than me, but as an owner/operator of a Breville smart grinder pro, try and find a second hand something else. Macap M2M, Compak K3... If you're looking to buy long term, your skill level will advance past the BCG820 before too long (might not take you a year) and you'll be wishing for a better grinder. Don't get me wrong, it's a good little grinder but I feel it's best as a stepping stone.

Or if you'd prefer to spread the spending out get a second hand BCG820 now and something better down the line.

I'd also suggest getting inside a local shop for a hands on play with your short list of machines and grinders before pulling the trigger. If you're ever in Sydney Jet Black Espresso and Di Bartoli are site sponsors and won't​ steer you astray.
    Dimal and kbc like this.

Wow, thanks so much for the replies - guys! I'll have to have a sift through all the emails which have come in (I filled out a quote form - which seems to have worked like a charm!) and let you guys know what I end up going with! Thanks again!