Thread: Silvia wand leak. Replace seals or upgrade wand?

Silvia wand leak. Replace seals or upgrade wand?

Hi All,

I've got a V1 Silvia and the steam wand seal has gradually started leaking. I've been turning the knob tighter and tighter as time goes on but I guess now it's coming time to replace the seal. I could replace the washer/seal for a few bucks. If I do that then I guess I should replace all the o-rings while I have the assembly out too.

Or I could upgrade the whole steam wand assembly for ~$100. Then I have all new o-rings, seals and a new ball jointed wand.

Is the ball jointed wand worth the upgrade?

Honestly I'd say it depends on how much you steam milk. Recently faced the same dilemma when I bought a barely used (dozen times since 2006) Silvia/Rocky. Thought about buying the upgraded assembly, but I steam milk for family members just a handful of times monthly, never for myself. I couldn't justify the cost when a rebuild kit cost me less than $15 USD. I don't mind the non-articulating wand though as it swivels around nicely and has plenty of clearance underneath for me to use a 20 oz. pitcher when I do steam.

Yeah I do steam milk, being a latte drinker. I'm the same with the existing wand, swivelling is ok.

Do you have a link for the rebuild kit? Edit: Nevermind, just ordered o-rings and washer from JetBlackEspresso
    Last edited by fowlerd303; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:20 PM.