Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By timmyjj21
  • 2 Post By toscorlando

Thread: La Pavoni Europiccola - leak help

La Pavoni Europiccola - leak help

Hi all, I have a millennium LP which I've been using happily for just over a year. Lately I've been working with a finer grind than usual which has meant putting some serious pressure on the lever - as in leaning down on it with my right hand sort of in my armpit using body weight while bracing the water refill knob with my left hand to stop the machine tipping over, whereas I would normally just hold the portafilter handle. The shots have been out of this world (thanks, Lido E), but I've started to notice what seems to be a tiny water leak happening in the part that connects the tank to the grouphead business - it started as an occasional tiny fizz of water instantly drying on the hot surface, and seems to be getting worse in that now it's bubbling the entire time I'm pushing down.

My problem is that I have no knowledge of what this part of the machine is called and google hasn't been my friend. It's that little bridge that seems composed of two parts, where it's the seam between them that's the source of the leak, and I don't know if there's a seal inside that needs replacing or if there's something I can tighten. There's a fairly large hexagonal screw on either side of the sort-of diamond-shaped front face of it, sitting just behind the grouphead. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

While I'm here, the bit of googling I have done has reminded me that I probably should look into replacing the group head seals. I'm not very mechanically minded or, more to the point, experienced, but I can follow instructions. Is it a terrible idea to want to do it myself rather than take it somewhere for servicing? I'd like to save the $$$, plus when I got my second-hand machine serviced after buying it on eBay, it was in the shop for three long weeks and obviously that's a situation I'd like to avoid if it's something I can do myself. It feels like coming down in the world to buy even the fanciest cafe's offering now, it's never as good as mine!

The leak is an extremely easy one to fix, it is just an O ring that has flattened over time. To replace, simply undo the two hex headed bolts that hold the grouphead onto the boiler, replace the ring, and do the bolts back up, ensuring the grouphead is level. The other grouphead seals are also fairly easy to replace if you have some mechanical ability.

Regards,

Matt.

P.S if you are in Adelaide I'd be happy to do the repairs for parts cost only, they are probably the easiest coffee machine ever to work on. :-)

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks, MattyRay, that's very encouraging! I'm in Melbourne, so I'll have to roll my sleeves up. Surely there'll be YouTube video

I dare say there will be :-)

Hello,

Yes Matt has hit the nail on the head. There is an o ring squeezed between the flange between the group head and boiler where you are seeing the water and steam coming from. It sounds liker it has lost it seal for some reason.

We have full seal kits as well as group head gaskets in our Melbourne store so give me a call tomorrow.

One thing though, your description of the force you are using to on your shots sounds excessive and it may be contributing to your leaking problem. It almost sounds like the excess force is flexing the flange.

We normally wouldn't recommend using that amount of force

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso - Home
    (03) 9530 8992
    MattyRay likes this.

I've always called it the 'Head' which attaches to the boiler. It's an easy fix and Anthony is the man to chat to. If you are visiting Casa Espresso, I am nearby in Elwood and can help you with the tools and replacement, feel free to PM me.
    It sounds like you are putting a 'little' too much force on the machine and I'm surprised your base is not starting to warp and bend too!
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyjj21 View Post
    It sounds like you are putting a 'little' too much force on the machine and I'm surprised your base is not starting to warp and bend too!
    That's a terrible thought! I've now taken Antony's advice and knocked back the grind a notch, and no more bubbling. The espressos are still great, and a lot less physical effort first thing in the morning, so maybe I'll spare the machine a bit. Thanks for the offer of help!
    Casa Espresso and MattyRay like this.