Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Javaphile
  • 2 Post By Javaphile
  • 2 Post By magnafunk

Thread: Sunbeam em7000 coffee pressure gauge

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4

    Sunbeam em7000 coffee pressure gauge

    Hi all, first time poster. Just purchased a refurbished "as new" em7000 from Sunbeam outlet. First one was returned as hot water tap on machine turned on water to the group head. Second machine seems fine. I have pre ground Lavazza coffee at home and am using pressurized 1 and 2 cup filters. The coffee pressure gauge only makes it about half way to the optimal orange zone. I've tried slightly different doses and tamping softer or harder but still no luck. Is this still do with grind size? Or do I have another dud machine?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    13,769
    Quote Originally Posted by booge View Post
    I have pre ground Lavazza coffee at home and am using pressurized 1 and 2 cup filters.
    There's your problem. Use non-pressurized baskets and fresh roasted coffee ground immediately prior to brewing.


    Java "Fresh!" phile
    level3ninja and MattyRay like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    Did I make a rookie error and think the pressurized basket will fix all? Is freshly ground THAT much different?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    13,769
    Yes, and yes.


    Java "It it ain't fresh don't use it!" phile
    level3ninja and MattyRay like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    124
    Freshly ground AND freshly roasted (less than 2-3 weeks since roasting).

    Cheers,

    Matt

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    Okay, Got the grinder. You're right, fresh ground got to correct pressure no probs. However, now I'm slowly going nuts trying to get the right consistency when pulling shots. When the pressure is bang on, the coffee coming out is a tiny trickle, adjust grind to coarser comes out better with slightly less pressure but i can't seem to get that nice thick crema. It doesn't ooze out nicely like the youtube vids I've seen. Ive been persisting with Lavazza whole beans, do i need to up the quality of my beans to achieve that rich crema or is is it a grind and tamp issue???

  7. #7
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley, WA
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by booge View Post
    do i need to up the quality of my beans to achieve that rich crema
    In a nutshell, yes you do
    K_Bean_Coffee and level3ninja like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by booge View Post
    Okay, Got the grinder. You're right, fresh ground got to correct pressure no probs. However, now I'm slowly going nuts trying to get the right consistency when pulling shots. When the pressure is bang on, the coffee coming out is a tiny trickle, adjust grind to coarser comes out better with slightly less pressure but i can't seem to get that nice thick crema. It doesn't ooze out nicely like the youtube vids I've seen. Ive been persisting with Lavazza whole beans, do i need to up the quality of my beans to achieve that rich crema or is is it a grind and tamp issue???
    I was reading along feeling sorry for you because I know what it's like chasing the crema, then I read the word "Lavazza" and thought that'll do it. If you're not sure where to get beans, get them from here on BeanBay. Start with the Espresso Wow, see how that goes.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I was reading along feeling sorry for you because I know what it's like chasing the crema, then I read the word "Lavazza" and thought that'll do it. If you're not sure where to get beans, get them from here on BeanBay. Start with the Espresso Wow, see how that goes.
    Thanks, I really appreciate the info.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    524
    Don't get too fussed if the creama does not ooze out. With fresh bean there should be a nice head of creama. Then there is the taste test. Timing of a ratio of 60 mls in 30 sec is sort of the starting point for grind, tamp and extraction pressure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •