Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By geebee666
  • 2 Post By noidle22
  • 4 Post By monsoon

Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 suddenly can't properly stretch milk anymore

Sunbeam EM7000 suddenly can't properly stretch milk anymore

Hi all,
    I have been reading here quite a bit but this is my first post - unfortunately after a good 18 month run with my first espresso machine (the EM7000) I have now the first problem. Since about a week the steam is not what it used to be. It still works and sounds/looks ok, but it is not stretching the milk any more like it used to. All I get now is hot milk with a bit of bubbles on top, no matter what I do with the steam wand. It also screams like a banshee every time, very unpleasant start of the day.
    Here is what I tried:
    • descaled twice with vinegar, first with the recommended 6 tbsp/3 l and the second time with a fair bit more. The first run seemed to improve it a bit, but only for one cup really, then back the the old screaming not frothing
    • changed the steam to wetter and wettest - no difference
    • changed the temperature of the steam to +5 and +10 degrees - no difference
    • read lots but there is not much on this machine online, much more about the EM6910

I believe that in at least one of the post here user noidle22 has provided the answer, there is water dripping into the tray when I open the steam up, indicating a blocked tube/pipe. However for the life of me I can't work out how to open up this machine. Anyone can give me a hint on how to get this machine apart to access the steam thermoblock/pump for cleaning?

Or should I do something else first? Another descaling with a different product from vinegar?

Thank you!

Really silly question, have you unscrewed the steam wand nozzle and made sure its clear?
    level3ninja likes this.

If it's dripping into the tray during steaming then your steam pump bypass valve is opening when it shouldn't.

To access the pumps, flip the machine upside down (machine off and unplugged and all water dried off) and undo all the screws in the grey plastic base. It will lift away exposing the pumps.

The small blue pump is the steam pump and the bypass valve is the small black fitting poking from the side with a silicone hose cable tied to it.
    Remove the silicone hose and the black fitting should unscrew fully.
    There will be a spring in there with a small metal piece with a rubber seal on the end of it.
    Make sure that seal is nice and clean, sometimes it has a chunk taken out of it. If it's missing a chunk then it's a write off and you need a new pump.

If you have cleaned it and it looks in good shape, reinstall the parts then use a small flat head screwdriver and turn the brass screw in the end of the plastic fitting in one to one and a half full turns.

Reassemble and test, hopefully you've got pressure back.

On these machines I prefer to leave the steam tap slightly open after steaming rather than fully off. Snapping it off quickly, like the EM7000 can, puts additional strain on the bypass valve on the pump which may be the cause of the failures.
    zeezaw and monsoon like this.

Fantastic, that is exactly what I needed. I'll be getting into it today and will report back. Thanks heaps also for the tip about not snapping it off too quickly. If it makes any difference I noticed that my machine has stopped doing the the brief steaming after closing the steam off.

Yep, cleaned it with the little poker and also unscrewed it, nothing in there. I have been very diligent with this machine, being my first. Wiping the steam wand immediately after use, then running the steam again to clean it out each time. I will check out the pump and valve now thanks to the other post.

Hi, thanks a lot for your detailed instructions - I opened the machine, got the little valve out and cleaned it. Not much dirt at all, but when I used some canned air to blow out the valve a little white flake came out, which could have been calcium. Anyway, my lunch coffee was the trial and it seems to work, I hope this is it! For illustration here are the parts I cleaned: https://imgur.com/a/OnvUs