• 3 Post By deegee
  • 2 Post By deegee
  • 1 Post By murray02
  • 1 Post By MattyRay
  • 2 Post By MattyRay

Thread: 2002 gaggia baby steam button

2002 gaggia baby steam button

Hey guys
    Picked up this 2002 baby gagga for $85 today. Gave it a good clean/descale & cleaned shower screen. I'm going to UK for 4 weeks later in year so going to take this to supply me caffeine ha! I figure I would have spent at least $15 a day on coffee so this makes sense I had a laugh

Ok issue is the steam button will not stay pressed in. Any idea what issue is?

Also want to replace the crap steam wand with a something better...any suggestions?

I need to keep costs down on the repair as spent $2500 in January on a Bezzera BZ10 & grinder.

I pulled a shot on it tonight & it was quite good. Need to find a cheap grinder to take as well I had a laugh.

Any help much appreciated.

received_1361453597268655.jpeg

G'day mate...

Re: the Steam Switch...
    Probably just requires a new switch. Several of our Site Sponsors stock Gaggia spare parts so maybe use the QUOTE FORM located at the bottom of every page, to see if someone can supply you with one...

Mal.
    MattyRay likes this.

Ok cheers Dimal. When i press it lights up, just won't stay in the on position.

Not sure on this exact switch, but the push on, push off switches I have taken apart have a little metal rod and spring running in a small groove, it could have just popped out of the groove or there is a broken piece inside. You could possibly take apart the switch and suss it out. Or just get a new one. Or hold it in with your finger!!

Cheers

Sunbeam steam wands fit with a little tweaking. I use the hot water wand with steam tip from the EM6910 on the smaller Gaggia's as they tend to fit better.

Those little switches are pretty rubbish. I'd advise buying a good quality 10A rocker switch, cutting a hole and mounting it on the body somewhere and use it for the steam.
    Dimal and murray02 like this.

Looks like I will take it apart over weekend. Might measure the square cutout where push button sits to see if a rocker switch will fit. Anyone happen to know dimensions of a rocker? Will look at 6900 hot water arm. Now off to work TGIF
    Thanks for help

Just go on RS Components website and have a look at their switches.
    The cutout dimensions for the switches is usually listed.

I'm not sure where to start looking on that website I had a laugh. I took the switch off machine & it def needs replacing

Just realised I have a jaycar store close..they should be able to supply a rocker

Hi I went to Jaycar & got a rocker switch. Need some help, please. Ok 1st up I have zero electrical knowledge! He said it's only a 2 way switch..on/off. He was unsure if it will work. The existing switch I have numbered 1 to 6 clockwise starting at top right. Ok question is which wires where on new switch? Will upload other pics of wires
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is how wires are on current switch..I've numbered them..any help is appreciated

Do you have a multimeter? The pictures don't make it easy to see the back of the old switch, and even then you still might need a multimeter. Using the resistance function on lowest rsnge, record readings between every wire position with the switch both on and off. (e.g. 1-2, 1-3, 1-4... 2-3, 2-4...). It's probably a 3 pole 2 position switch (2 positions are on and off, 3 poles means there are 3 separate connections being operated by the one switch, and each pole does not connect to the others), but without being sure we could make the smoke come out.

We also need to test the new switch the same way, as I have a feeling it might be 1 pole 2 position (all of each side are linked inside the switch).
    murray02 likes this.

I don't have a multi meter, was hoping it was just connecting the wires..here is some pics of old switch

It is just connecting the wires, correctly. I would put money on the old switch being 3 pole. I've had a look at the Jaycar website and found item SK0982 which appears to be the same as yours. It says it is DPDT (double pole, double throw, another way of saying 2 pole 2 position) so it will not work here. The third set of tabs will be to power the light inside the switch.
    murray02 likes this.

Ok thx level3ninja, appreciate your help..only wasted $5 ha maybe I'll keep trying source a genuine steam switch. Been looking but can't find 1 online. I've done the quote email to sponsors so hopefully will find 1
    Thx again

Unless someone with more specific knowledge than me can chime in, I'm just an electrician. Someone might only what those cables actually connect to in which case it might work. It does look like the two pink and two whites are in parallel but I don't want to risk the smoke getting out.

If you can go back to Jaycar take the old switch with you, and ask them for a "triple pole double throw" switch. They might have one.

Cheers buddy! Yeah I wasn't going to connect it without being sure, especially where I have zero knowledge! I'm just getting this machine right to take to UK for my coffee. I'd rather give up 5.5kg of my luggage & drink good coffee. Only paid $85. My bezzera is not going in any suitcase haha. Next I will buy & fit a rancillio steam arm & then it just needs a new steam knob as that has a small crack. Oh n a cheap grinder. Damn I have a coffee problem
    level3ninja likes this.

Comments below are in reference to the first pic of your series of 3, post #14.

I'm putting my money on the original being a double pole single throw with separate neon. It's a push button, correct? At a guess the two centre connections (one above the other) will be for the neon (hence the paralleled connections, to power it). The top left/bottom left are one set of contacts, and the top right/bottom right are another set of contacts. Each set of contacts ahould conduct when the button is depressed. So by your own numbering (post #12), 1 & 6 should be one set of contacts, 3 & 4 should be another set of contacts, and 2 & 5 should be the neon.

Take the switch to Jaycar and confirm the left and right sets of contacts. The centre (neon) pair should not appear to connect to each other or anywhere else as a multimeter will not pick up the neon.

Cheers,

Matt

Edit: Most definitely the best course of action would be to just get the replacement original switch, no chance of getting it wrong then:-)

Edit #2: Just worked out that when the button is depressed the neon wouldn't be on. Oh well, just buy the original switch and all will be good :-)
    Last edited by MattyRay; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:26 PM.
    Dimal and murray02 like this.

Thx for that. Yes original a push button with led light. Current wiring on old switch is from top right clockwise is top right white wire, middle right white wire, bottom right white wire, bottom left grey wire, middle left red wire & top left red wire.
    Cheers

Ok at the risk of getting myself into more hot water (as it were), a random Gaggia Classic diagram on the internet indicates the steam switch is a 2 pole switch, but with one set of contacts normally closed (pressing switch would disable solenoid and activate neon, would be terminals 1 & 6) and the other set is normally open (pressing switch would bypass/short HW thermostat, allowing steam thermostat to operate, would be terminals 3 & 4). Aaaaaand the neon would work as it should :-)

Sorry for my lack of knowledge..I make great coffee but suck at electrics ha! So is the switch I bought DPDT ok or do I need the single throw

You would best going with the original. It could be done with a DPDT but would have to work it out. Do you have clear photos (edit: and part number) of the new switch you have?

You would also need to test the existing switch and confirm it is exactly as per post #22.

Cheers,

Matt.

Ok Cheers Matt, thx for your help.
    MattyRay likes this.

Murray are you in Sydney? And how long until you leave for the UK?

Hey mate, I'm in Brisbane,
    It's not urgent as don't leave until Sept so plenty of time.
    Cheers

Re Baby Gaggia

Quote Originally Posted by murray02 View Post
    Hey mate, I'm in Brisbane, It's not urgent as don't leave until Sept so plenty of time.
    Cheers
    G'day Murray, I've never seen a Baby G but have rebuilt/rewired a couple of Gaggia Classics and I have the gear to sort this out for you if you were able to bring it to me at Loganlea at a mutually suitable time.

PM me if that might be of help for you.

Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    G'day Murray, I've never seen a Baby G but have rebuilt/rewired a couple of Gaggia Classics and I have the gear to sort this out for you if you were able to bring it to me at Loganlea at a mutually suitable time.

PM me if that might be of help for you.
    Hey thx buddy
    That's very kind! I will see if I can locate the genuine button first as that will be the simple & quick thing to do.
    But will let you know how I go. PM me an idea on price mate.
    Thx again
    Cheers
    BTW got a sunbeam em0450 off gumtree today for $15 never been used still in box ha! I'll fit a shim to it to make the grind finer. Not a great grinder but it will get me by. Not worth taking expensive machine/grinder just for a holiday
    MattyRay likes this.

Hey thx buddy. That's very kind! I will see if I can locate the genuine button first as that will be the simple & quick thing to do.But will let you know how I go. PM me an idea on price mate. Thx again Cheers.
    No charge Murray - it would be as a favour from one CS to another. I'm retired, and fixing/restoring coffee machines is one of my hobbies.
    level3ninja, MattyRay and murray02 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    No charge Murray - it would be as a favour from one CS to another. I'm retired, and fixing/restoring coffee machines is one of my hobbies.
    Thx mate, apreciate it! I'm still looking. If I don't find it soon I will take you up on the offer. Cheers

Thx mate, apreciate it! I'm still looking. If I don't find it soon I will take you up on the offer. Cheers
    OK - meanwhile, don't bother to swap that Jaycar rocker switch for a different one. I think it will work - just need to figure out which terminals do what. I have a spare one that will probably do what you need and could swap it for yours, but I'm fairly sure that the only difference is that mine is green where yours is red.
    MattyRay and murray02 like this.

Thx mate
    Found the wiring diagram! Its in Italian but easy to translate, bianco = white, rosso = red, grigio = grey
    MattyRay likes this.

If the Jaycar switch is a DPDT, it will work fine with a little rejigging. They only question is the neon indicator, depends which terminals it has been wired to. This won't affect the basic operation of the switch though.

Cheers,

Matt
    murray02 likes this.

Yeah it is a DPDT from jaycar..my question is how do I make sure I connect it right. There is numbers on one side of the jaycar switch numbered 1, 2, 3
    On the original there is also
    Pics as follows, don't know if these help

2017-05-23 13.29.06.jpg2017-05-23 13.31.30.jpg

can i wire the white wires down one side then other side the two reds followed by the grey? Does it matter which is the top of the new switch? Sorry for my silly questions

Hi murray02,

I'd be inclined to take up deegee on his offer, that way it can be double checked before powering up. Sounds like he has experience with coffee machines, so I'd suggest that as your best option.

Cheers,

Matt
    geebee666 and murray02 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyRay View Post
    Hi murray02,

I'd be inclined to take up deegee on his offer, that way it can be double checked before powering up. Sounds like he has experience with coffee machines, so I'd suggest that as your best option.

Cheers,

Matt
    ^^ This is good advice 240v is potentially very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by geebee666 View Post
    ^^ This is good advice 240v is potentially very dangerous.
    I'm quite aware of this, but thank you for your concern