Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: Help! Breville*BES920 Dual Boiler*won't produce steam after descale

Exclamation Help! Breville*BES920 Dual Boiler*won't produce steam after descale

Hi everyone! I'm new to coffee snobs and in dire need of help. Did my first descale last night and the everything seemed to go ok, but after switching the machine on this morning it doesn't want to produce steam.

I've done another descale today hoping last night's process may have simply caused some build up to create a blockage but unfortunately I'm no closer to steam.

Hoping there's something silly I've done and haven't caused too much damage. If anyone can provide any advice before I take it into the shop I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately there is a known issue with all 920s sold up until a certain point that the programming for the descale leaves the steam boiler element on without any water in the boiler. This kills the element. Call Breville tomorrow. It will need to go in for repairs, or they will tell you how to fix it.
    Last edited by level3ninja; 5th June 2017 at 08:14 PM.
    matth3wh likes this.

Bad luck, is it still under warranty?

Help! Breville*BES920 Dual Boiler*won't produce steam after descale

If its a known issue probably no wiggle room for breville not to fix regardless of product warranty status

Hopefully it's tripped the thermal fuse before the element has blown. That's what the fuse was designed to do.

The 920's that I have repaired for this problem have only ever needed a new fuse. Unfortunately it's still a complete disassembly, boiler out job which is a massive pain.
    matth3wh likes this.

Mine had bits of the element (I assume, something that looked and smelled metallic) come out into the drip tray.

Did I read somewhere there's a new procedure for the descaling? Sure I saw mention in a long thread of failed steam heaters.

Consumer affairs says your contract is with the shop or dealer from whom you purchased it. Not Breville. Return it to the shop it's their responsibility.
    When I went to a Breville authorised repairer it took ten weeks to tell me the part was out of stock.
    The shop where I bought it got me a new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Did I read somewhere there's a new procedure for the descaling? Sure I saw mention in a long thread of failed steam heaters.
    Yes go to the Breville web site and look for the first software version.

Hi Guys, new to this forum...

Saw this and seems we have to go quite a long way for someone to hit the nail on the head. noidle22 is correct with the diagnosis, I have the same machine, the Thermal Fuse is conveniently placed in the most inaccessible place, obviously attached to the main steam boiler, which involves a complete strip down! I have had this issue twice now, despite following the "older model" instructions on how to descale, and yes, just 3 months out of the warranty!!

Whats confusing me is that the Thermal fuse was replaced before under warranty and again has gone, the TF is the correct one 167 degrees, 10 amp. The element is giving near 50 ohms, so thats OK. what really confusing me is that the boiler is fitted with a thermal cut-off sensor, which should also stop the current when the boiler reaches temperature, or am I missing something?
    the boiler operates at around 130 degrees Celsius apparently, therefore how does the thermal fuse blow? is it likely to be a faulty Thermal Cut-off sensor which is strapped to the cylinder? If this was defective the boiler would continue to call for heat wouldn't it?

I thought of fitting a 150 degree resettable thermal switch instead of the thermal fuse such as this:
    eBay link removed as per Site Posting Policy

This way if the boiler ever got above the 150 degrees, it would reset automatically once the temperature had been below that for 1 minute, enabling me to diagnose other possible issues without having to strip the entire machine down again just to replace the damn fuse.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Javaphile; 18th December 2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link

If the boiler is dry (or low on water). The thermal cutout will not read the temperature correctly, the element will continue to cook itself.

Think of a kettle, it won't know when to turn off, if there is no water on the temp sensor

I haven't had one apart, so not really sure of how the thermal fuse works.
    It maybe that it melts after a time with the element on (over current), or it melts as its closer to the element and gets its temperature.

I had the exact issue yesterday but have had it before where I got no steam and th dreaded 3 beeps. The first time it was like the boiler was dry but after a short time it started working again. Yesterday it was nothing...luck I drink espressos so I went about my business this morning making a coffee and checking the steam. After a while I started hearing the boiler start drinking more water. I thought that maybe my other boiler was shot too. I checked the steam again and what do you know, it is alive!! Good luck with your machine JimfromIreland.

Hi all Google led me to this wonderful forum.

As all the above, never had a single issue with the machine until said to descale. Bought correct stuff to do descale, followed the instructions from Breville step by step. These were original instructions which were with machine when purchased in 2015. Switched all back on in the morning and the steamer wont work and the 3 beeps. Googled it read all of this, called Breville who played dumb that they know nothing about this being an issue and just said not much can do other than telling me there are new descale instructions which she sent me by email. Which may I add are COMPLETELY different to the first ones. Why change them if no issue? Can you all let me know how you went in regards to repairs and being compensated (if you were at all) and proving this as I cannot locate a Breville statement of course admitting there is an issue, only all the posts I have read on numerous forums of the exact same issue that the process cooks the elements and fuse when descaling. I have emailed place purchased from who doesnt want to know me so after some advise how you guys proceeded, if repaired the machine and any help is appreciated. Please note 4 hours later last night after running the new descale process that they advise takes 1 hour (crap) the steam still does not work.when i hit the wand it let out the smallest spurt steam for half a second then nothing but beeps. The water coming out of draining the boilers also is hot which hope is a good sign. I live in regional area so for me to fix this its going to financially be a nightmare.

was this under warranty? when they replaced or out of?