Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By ianunderdownunder
  • 3 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Rancilio Silvia V5 E 2017 Ed + Nemox Stepless burr Grinder vs. Lelit Combi PL042EMI

Rancilio Silvia V5 E 2017 Ed + Nemox Stepless burr Grinder vs. Lelit Combi PL042EMI

Rancilio and Nemox Package for $850 incl. delivery vs. Lelit Combi PL042EMI for $1100 incl delivery. I live in rural Tasmania and I'm doing this all online. Only making coffee for myself every morning x 2 cups, that's it for the day. Love a good strong flat white, sorry in advance to the purists ;-). I know I will need to order fresh beans online pretty much every 10 days or so to get a quality cup, but this is a big investment for me. Threw my last $250 machine in the bin I got so angry with it. Been drinking french press for months now but desperately seeking more pleasure in the morning. Any advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ianunderdownunder View Post
    desperately seeking more pleasure in the morning. Any advice appreciated.
    My advice would be approach your wife about this point!

One word of advice as I recently made a similar choice is check who you are buying from. The Lelit price sounds about right but the Silvia might be low. I found a lot of retailers with au websites and Australian phone nuumbers are actually based overseas. I usually check the street address, no street address (or occasionally a city building address) or Fedex or UPS delivery normally signifies a non Australian seller. There was at least half a dozen when I was looking at a Silvia. Return freight to Italy or Hong Kong will quickly eat any perceived savings.

There is also a PID (temperature controller for more consistent temps) version of the Lelit you are looking at - Lelit Combi with PID (PL042TEMD) or https://www.kbean.com.au/espresso-ma...pl42temd-combi I am sure others can offer other choices at this pricepoint. Another thought is now you have joined is use the quote form at the bottom of the page, will allow all sponsors to respond after you offer your pricerange - you know they are all in Aus and genuine coffee retailers, not box movers.
    Dimal likes this.

thanks for the advice 338. very sound. The Rancilio package is from New Caffe Italia (seem to be based in NSW) and the Lelit from Jet Black in Sydney. I see heaps of very good stuff online about Jet Black so I'm tempted to spend my money there. Only problem being I sent them an email enquiry last week and still haven't heard back. I am a forgiving sort though. After lots of reading I don't think there is much between the Rancilio and the Lelit as far as the actual coffee extraction goes, I suppose I am wondering about the grinders now, having learnt from sites like this that this is where the emphasis should be. Also I have a small kitchen with limited space, so the Lelit combi sounds better but it is $300 more Once again thanks for the welcoming advice.

Ian, New Cafe Italia is one of the overseas box movers. Their address is a city office building I know well, no coffee machine warehouse in there. Also note they use Fedex and DHL. Also testimonials are from USA in many cases - no one in the USA would buy a 230V machine from here rather than a 110V machine locally. So one pitfall missed. JetBlack are sponsors here and real, I picked up my machine from their premises.
    Dimal likes this.

The bottom line of the Guarantee page of New Cafe Italia:

Please note: Sometimes when we run out of stock in Australia, we have to ship some of our products directly from our main warehouse in Milano. You will not be charged for any extra shipping cost for that. It is may possible that you will get an international transaction fees debited by your bank in this rare occasion.
    Dimal likes this.

thanks heaps 338. I have also sent off a quote to all sponsors, great tip I had not considered. The wife also liked your initial advice ;-)
    338 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ianunderdownunder View Post
    thanks heaps 338. I have also sent off a quote to all sponsors, great tip I had not considered. The wife also liked your initial advice ;-)
    Yep, Jet Black or another locally based sponsor or seller is the way to go. Avoid that other mob. If you want good advice I would suggest you pick up the phone and give Jet Black, Coffee Parts, K Bean, Casa, Di Bartoli.....etc etc a call. I've found in the past that email isn't a very good way to start this sort of communication.