Thread: La Pavoni Europiccola snap ring rust issue

La Pavoni Europiccola snap ring rust issue

Hi
    I have a pre millennium Europiccola and have taken the group head apart to replace the seals. All was going fine, I was able to remove the piston and shower screen from the group.
    When I got to the section in the group where the piston seal is, the snap ring which holds in the four hole washer and the piston gasket was rusted.
    The two ring sections at the end of the snap ring just broke off with no effort.
    The rest of the snap ring is still there in the grove. I manged to get the four hole washer and the rubber gasket behind the washer out, but have no idea how I am now going to deal with this snap ring.

Any ideas would be great.

thanks

It's a common issue. The fix is to replace it with a stainless C clip that doesn't rust

Pics might help a little to get a diagnosis from the la Pav experts here, but I suspect Sam is right. Dig it out and then replace with a stainless equivalent ideally or get a like for like from a parts mob.

Alternatively you can take it in to get it done, will likely end up costing a few $$ though.

Quote Originally Posted by samuellaw178 View Post
    It's a common issue. The fix is to replace it with a stainless C clip that doesn't rust
    Yes I want to replace it for sure... I have the parts ready to go..

I just don't know how I am going to get the old one out, now that the ends of the ring have broken off and only the center bit remains in the grove.

There is no way to compress the ring to get it out. The grove is very thin so getting something in there to pull it out is not easy.

I'll try getting a pic tool or something.

I'll try and take a pic.

thanks

Ah, I see the problem. I had assumed the snap ring is out because you managed to get the 4-hole washer. A picture will definitely help, it really depends how much of the snap ring is left intact. Can be quite challenging if you have the ends broken and the body sits flush in the groove....

I am curious though how were you able to get the washer out without the snap ring out?

Quote Originally Posted by databear View Post

There is no way to compress the ring to get it out. The grove is very thin so getting something in there to pull it out is not easy.

I'll try getting a pic tool or something.

I'll try and take a pic.

thanks
    Wonder if an old dental pick may do the job?

Sounds like you'll have to get a grip on what's left of it somehow and twist it out of the groove

Quote Originally Posted by samuellaw178 View Post
    Ah, I see the problem. I had assumed the snap ring is out because you managed to get the 4-hole washer. A picture will definitely help, it really depends how much of the snap ring is left intact. Can be quite challenging if you have the ends broken and the body sits flush in the groove....

I am curious though how were you able to get the washer out without the snap ring out?
    i got the washer out first. Bent it up from behind, then was able to get it past the snap ring.
    Then the gasket was easy to get out past the snap ring as well.

the new clip is below the broken off bits to show how much is left in the groove.

Here is the group head with the left over clip just visible.

If the ends have rusted, the rest of the ring may have as well. This can make it easier to extract if it breaks apart. Options include a dental pick to get behind the ends and try levering it out, or creating enough of a dent in the ends to get purchase with the circlip pliers. If really keen and cocky, you could use a Dremel cutting disc...but I wouldn't!

Quote Originally Posted by timmyjj21 View Post
    If the ends have rusted, the rest of the ring may have as well. This can make it easier to extract if it breaks apart. Options include a dental pick to get behind the ends and try levering it out, or creating enough of a dent in the ends to get purchase with the circlip pliers. If really keen and cocky, you could use a Dremel cutting disc...but I wouldn't!
    thanks timmy
    the rest of the clip does not look rusted at all.. ;(
    I've tried a pick tool but no luck so far.
    I don't like the idea of Dremel cutting disc.

I wonder if I can file it down in the centre and then try and bend it....