Thread: Lelit PL042TEMD PID vs Silvia - Transition from brew to steam?

Lelit PL042TEMD PID vs Silvia - Transition from brew to steam?

Hi all,

I've started looking into getting a proper espresso machine setup and I'm tossing up between the Lelit Combi vs Rocky + Silvia setup. Both (bought new) are in my price range; however used Silvia machines pop up more often, so keeping an eye out there.

One thing I haven't been able to determine is which unit is faster in terms of transitioning from pulling a shot to producing steam for milk.

There are heaps of Youtube videos around for the Rocky and some indicate up to 90seconds to start producing steam, whereas a few reviews for the Lelit indicate that the steam is ready to go by the time you get the milk from the fridge and fill the jug - which seems like a big difference!

Is anyone able to confirm rough times?

I do like the idea of a PID Lelit for a bit more temperature stability as I do like espresso and long blacks, but I'm also considering which unit is more efficient in terms of producing milk based drinks.

Thanks!

The Lelit has a little boiler that seems to have a really quick heat up time. I use a rebadged equivalent at work (Nemox Napoletana) and changing to steam is rapid. Quicker than my PID Gaggia Classic.

I'm not sure what this means for temperature stability during the shot, but the work machine makes a nice milk based drink.

I've got the 42TEMD, and I drink only Latte so milk steaming is an everyday occurrence.
    Without a timer, I'd say it takes ~30s to go from espresso to steam ready - as others have said, it's usually ready to steam by the time I take the milk out of the fridge, pour it into my jug, put the milk back in fridge, and giving the counter a quick wipe, so very quick indeed.

I only have the Lelit which seems quick, probably due to the small boiler, but in this thread I noticed mention of the Lelit boiler being bolted direct to the grouphead where the Sylvia is offset. Would assume it has to help both components retain heat by being bolted together for greater thermal mass.

RANCILIO SILVIA V5 E model honest review please?

Not necessarily. Having cold water enter the boiler will have more effect on the temperature at the group head if it is directly on the boiler instead of offset. Inter-shot stability is of more concern.

Take your point about cool water entering the boiler affecting the grouphead. Does this mean you think the Sylvia or Lelit has more concern about inter shot stability, wasn't sure which one you are referring to by your last line?

The Silvia has the larger boiler and offset group head, so theoretically it might be better for inter shot stability. But, that said the little Lelit boiler seems to be very responsive, possibly due to a comparibly oversized element inside. Its initial heat up time from cold amazes me.
    To be honest it would be difficult to compare! Most users either are happy as far as I've seen on the forum!

Thanks Timmy, probably like most here I am compiling all those little pieces of information to work out my perfect machine. I have the Lelit with PID and it surprises me how quick it responds between shots, between espressos definitely quicker than I can grind and tamp the next double - which probably says as much about me not being a professional barista

Thanks for the responses - I'll probably try to get out to some of distributors and see if I can have a demo.

I do like the look of the Lelit, but never seen one in the flesh.

Site Sponsor
    It's about the same transition time for both - at around 45 seconds you can start steaming, a little longer if you want the steam to be stronger.

charlie
    www.jetblackespresso.com.au

I've got a 'gronked' Silvia, and I'd say about a minute or so is all it takes.

Time to steam ready for lelit and silva should be very close. Almost identical water quantity and element power I believe. Can't alter physics.

Doing a pour then steaming, its no issue, only a short wait. If you want to do many milk drinks it can be a pain with a single boiler.

Cheers

With my Silvia, I pour 2 double shots & then hit the steam button, optimum time is just short of 90 seconds with a purge at about 60 seconds.
    This is for the strongest steam, you can start earlier if you wish.
    Cheers
    Robbo