Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By readeral

Thread: Used Rocky + Silvia - 2009 model - anything to watch for?

Used Rocky + Silvia - 2009 model - anything to watch for?

Hi all,

Is a used 2009 Rocky + Silvia too old to pick up used? Or still plenty of life left in them if well looked after?

Anything that may require maintenance/replacing straight away?

Price is good, which means extra budget for looking into accessories or even PID kits etc.

Plenty of life in a machine that age. Check for no rust in the chassis, look for clear water (not milky) coming out when drawing water through the steam wand, check good water flow through the grouphead and for a clean group and showerscreen. Check for discolouration in the water tank (not a major deal, but might be indicative of some issues).

The Rocky might need new burrs, the Silvia might need a new shower screen and group seal. I'd include in your budget for an initial service to ensure it's all good to go, unless they have evidence of a service in the past 18 months.

Thanks for the detailed response! Much appreciated!

I would only replace the group seal if there is water leaking around the group handle. The seals are very difficult to get off and the process destroys them. Just make sure you recharge the boiler after steaming milk. I recently sold my 2005 Silvia that was still doing well.

Very simple machines and should be plenty of life left in it if it was looked after.

Cheers