Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By TampIt

Thread: EM7000 guidance

EM7000 guidance

Hi Guys,

First time posting here, looking for a lot of guidance. I hope I am posting in the right section, else please kindly warn me.

I have just recently bought my first coffee machine ever - sunbeam em7000. First impression, surprisingly it was not hard to setup, but as what I have observed, it has always been the easiest part.

Fast forward to today, I just bought my first coffee beans - vittoria mountain grown. I do not know what to buy, but my girlfriend likes this brand as this is what her office currently uses.

Shocking or some of you might have expected, my coffee pressure gauge did not even move. Just wondering this is a machine faulty or wrong beans used. This is the grounded coffee I used since I do not have a grinder yet

Thank you for the time reading my long post, any advice is appreciated.

Initially I would say the grind was far too course. Did the extraction come out quickly and was it very pale?

Hello and welcome!

Put in the double wall basket with no coffee and see if the gauge moves. It should.

If you are using pre ground super market beans you need to use the double wall basket. And the coffee will taste very poor compared to the real deal.

You really need a grinder. Even a basic 450/480 sunbeam or Breville smart grind will give you coffee far beyond those beans (but you must get freshly roasted beans (they go downhill quickly after around 3 weeks after roasting) and use the double size single wall basket (where you can see through all the holes on the bottom).

You will be making great tasting coffee in no time.

Cheers
    rawill and level3ninja like this.

Vittoria mountain grown beans have caused me more grief than any other bean. Most supermarket beans will cause some issues. My suggestion is to throw them away or take them into your girlfriend's office. Woolworths and Coles sell these beans as a $40 kg bean but regularly mark down to half price, now you know why.
    Buy a freshly roasted bean and enjoy.

i think it is important to check that the gauge is working. When you extracted did it move at all? Try the double wall filter as suggested, did that make the gauge move?
    If you have a friendly coffee place ask them for a couple of shots of their espresso grinds in a take away. Just the powder no fluid then try that in the normal two cup filter. Be willing to pay for the grinds and tell then why you need it.

Hi guys, thank you for the overwhelming responses. I tried using a cleaning disc and it moved to 15 so may be its alright. I want to test the double wall basket, but I do not know which one is which. I have attached the picture. Hopefully it works. I am using the one on the right.

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/1zxnrro.jpg[IMG]

Link didn't work for me. The single wall baskets have many holes when you look at the bottom from the inside and outside and you can see light through them if you hold them up to a light. The double wall baskets have an extra layer of metal under the bottom, so that when you look at the bottom from the inside there will be many holes but from the outside there will only be one hole right in the middle, and you won't see anything through it when holding up to the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenandz View Post
    Hi guys, thank you for the overwhelming responses. I tried using a cleaning disc and it moved to 15 so may be its alright. I want to test the double wall basket, but I do not know which one is which. I have attached the picture. Hopefully it works. I am using the one on the right.

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/1zxnrro.jpg[IMG]
    G'day Kenandz

It is a waste of time trying to get dual wall baskets as you will never get better than "a low /below average" coffee out of them in your 7000. Your gauge & machine works, so you really need to get a grinder asap.

FYI the "dual wall" / pressurised baskets are an attempt to get something like coffee out of an espresso machine using coarse preground coffee. The reason preground coffee is so coarse is simple - it works in plungers and dripolaters (aka "pourovers") and even works moderately well in Carmencitas (aka "stovetop espresso makers" / moka pots). If it was ground any finer it would be useless for those methods (cuppa of mud anyone?).

Espresso grind is a lot finer.

Borrowing a bit of coffee from a friendly local cafe is only an option to test the machine's pour - and you already know it works anyway. Why is it useless? Coffee grounds start to oxidise within about 30 seconds after grinding and (in the case of fine espresso grinds) are pretty well dead in five minutes. That is why the preground coffee is vacuum sealed - and when you first open it a significant portion of the wonderful aroma escapes (and within a day or so even grinds that coarse are in need of pallbearers).

Back to grinders - the SB EM480 / 500 is about $200 and is a semi manual true espresso grinder (the lower models are really hit and miss and most of them lack enough adjustment anyway - ditto the Breville). The Breville Smartgrinder is about $250 and is a more automated beast. If you like to tinker and work out how things work, I would suggest you save the $50 and get the SB. Prefer convenience - get the Breville.

Either grinder will get you a lot closer to cafe standard after you get a good fresh roast. The better the roast the more likely you are to exceed cafe standard after a bit of hands on experience.

TampIt
    PS: Doesn't your 7000 come with a free "barista course"? If so, that will go a long way to shorten your learning curve.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Lots of good suggestions above. Those who have said get a grinder are so so right.
    True, anything else really is a waste of time, note below what I use.

And I just paid $50.00 for an EM 0440 grinder for my campervan, to go with the EM 4800c Coffee machine, why because my old grinder just did not do the job Breville BCG 450, and that was after tinkering to get it as fine as possible.

With the EM 0440 I can get the coffee machine to "choke" (no espresso coming out, or ever so slow, just drips). So that is good enough for me for now.

I have been using the predecessor to your machine, a 2005 built, EM 6910 for a number of years, paired with the EM 480 coffee grinder.
    And now to confuse you a bit more, but ignore this for now, just store it up for future use once you are making good coffee with what you have got.
    I use a bottomless/naked portafilter, with a VST or Pulman basket.
    They are single walled, and single or double shot, depending on what I want.

But the best advice from many on here will be, try to get up to speed with the single walled double shot Sunbeam basket that came with the machine.

But just know this, coffee tasters, are coffee snobs, as this forum suggests! It is at least as tricky as wine tasting is, maybe more so!~
    A problem for those of us into both beverages!

But it is so much fun, in no time at all, after spending some money on beans and grinding them yourself, you will be making heaps better coffee than most if not all of your local cafes. And for a fraction of the price once you get it sorted. You will be the envy of your friends, as well as your girlfriend.

And I use single walled baskets in my EM 4800c, but not Sunbeam ones, don't think they make them for these low spec machines.
    Last edited by rawill; 6 Days Ago at 03:07 PM.

I wish my EM7000 came with a free barista course, they've closed them down now
    I use an EM7000 and a breville grinder pro with local beans. I use it on grind 5

It makes good coffee

Rbn
    Quite a few hints and tips on the process on You Tube.
    And some good threads on here.

Love your part of the world, fortunate to spend 2 weeks in Mooloolaba recently.
    It was fun cruising around in a little Peugeot 206 convertible with the roof down, in mid winter!