• 1 Post By TampIt
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 4 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Sunbeam EM 6910

Rbn

Sunbeam EM 6910

Just bought for the princely sum of NZ$50.00. Was working fine, except the steam started strong, weakened and came back strong.

After a 600km journey in the car boot, now things have changed.
    When I start it I can hear buzzing instantly, and when I turn the steam knob water/steam comes out, the lights have not come on yet, and the buzzing persists.
    When the lights come on the buzzing stops, but now and again it does a short "buzz".
    Previous owner says all that has been replaced is the pump (Sept 2015)

Pointers welcome
    Manufacture date stamp says 527. (Dec 2007)

Side note, the date stamp on "my home machine" says 397 (Sept 2007)

Many thanks
    robin
    Last edited by rawill; 18th August 2017 at 05:53 PM.

I've realised that I was incorrect in my previous information regarding the date of manufacture on these machines.

The first two digits are the build week and the last digit is the build year. I was confused with Breville because the Breville date of manufacture is read year/week.

Buzzing immediately when switched on is usually a shorted steam pump triac on the control board. The travel in the car might have sloshed some water into the circuit board and when you switched it on the triac shorted.
    This causes the steam pump to run continually regardless if the machine is ready or not. This is why you are getting water/steam from the steam wand even though the machine is not ready.

Another common cause of this is that the group solenoid splits and leaks water directly onto the circuit board. Had you made espresso with the machine yet? Did you notice any problems with the pressure?

Diagnosing and repairing the issue requires working on 240V components and soldering. How are you with these?
    Last edited by noidle22; 18th August 2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: addition
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Many thanks.
    I did wonder about the date configuration when I checked my EM 4800c.
    And checked my own machine, thank your for the clarification, just a nice to know thing.
    You can do a similar decode on Saab DCI cassettes, I can tell you if you want to know!!

I had made made a few shots with it before the journey.
    The steam is strong, like my other machine, but does come and go slightly.
    I suspected a smallish blockage in the thermobloc, put a strong vinegar solution through it, about 50/50.
    Got some gunk out, will try it again.

Just made another espresso with the machine, switched it off, let it cool for an hour or so, started it up, all fine.
    However, with your info I think I will take it to the local repair man (agency) to check it out for those issues you mention.
    He has replaced my thermal fuse twice in my "home machine" once in 2013, and once recently.

Was possibly moisture on the board that has since evaporated. It's unusual but can happen.

If it's making espresso ok and there's no evidence of water leaking under the machine then you'll probably be ok to keep using it like it is.

Might be an idea to just take off the black plastic cover behind the door and shine a torch in there, look for any water leaks or evidence of previous leaks.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Thank you.

Rbn
    And, if anyone is still watching!

I note there are new style steam tips available, I wondering if there is much difference.
    Also is there an optimum size for the hole in steam tip, I ask as I have two machines here, one has a larger hole, it seems more difficult to make good microfoam with it than with the one with the smaller diameter hole.
    Last edited by rawill; 22nd August 2017 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    And, if anyone is still watching!

I note there are new style steam tips available, I wondering if there is much difference.
    Also ss there an optimum size for the hole in steam tip, I ask as I have two machines here, one has a larger hole, it seems more difficult to make good microfoam with it than with the one with the smaller diameter hole.
    G'day rawill

Some idiots, I mean people, clean the wand out with strong solvents or scrape the poor defenceless thing out with sharp points: either can widen the hole of a 6910 beyond usability. I have seen far too many "Conan inflicted casualties".

Speaking specifically about the 6910, generally the larger the hole the harder it is to get proper microfoam.

I don't know about the "new style tips" but if you mean the 7000, it will give OK microfoam with little effort. To get truly great microfoam, the 6910 with a "non wrecked tip" wins hands down. My La Pav wand has almost exactly the same size hole as the 6910, so it must be pretty close to optimum - and it also makes great microfoam.

TampIt
    rawill likes this.

6910 steam tips suck, even the better ones. I have a 4820 steam tip on my 6910 and it's heaps better. It's identified by it's totally different shape and smaller hole. If you can't find a 4820 tip as they are hard to come by then grab a 2 hole Profitec tip. The thread is slightly different, but it's the same diameter so they work with a bit of Loctite.
    rawill likes this.

4820 steam tip on my 6910 -

rawill likes this.

Rbn
    I will continue my search for a good tip.
    Many thanks LeroyC and Tampit.

Rbn
    I have ordered a 4820 steam tip from the local supplier, expensive. If it works as I hope I will source another one from elsewhere for my "other machine".

I have also been looking online for a bottomless portafilter.
    I see lots listed on Ebay and Alibaba, but none saying they will fit the EM 6910.
    Is there another brand one that will fit, or are the portafilters unique to the Sunbeam EM6910.
    I see some that "look" OK, and like they might work, but too nervous to try, in particular the one that is listed for E61 group head.

Any pointers anyone?

I think it does need to be Sunbeam specific, but I'm not 100% on that.
    If it's any easier to find a spouted one, science-teacher found one second hand (thankfully brass not the newer stainless type) on fleabay and had it sent directly to me. I'm about to cut the bottom out and send it to him. Am happy to do the same for you if you pay postage.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I think it does need to be Sunbeam specific, but I'm not 100% on that.
    If it's any easier to find a spouted one, science-teacher found one second hand (thankfully brass not the newer stainless type) on fleabay and had it sent directly to me. I'm about to cut the bottom out and send it to him. Am happy to do the same for you if you pay postage.
    Hey that's me!
    I got it from 'genuineallparts' on ebay
    However, for a similar price you could get a broken em6910 with a portafilter included.
    They were going g for $60-$70 on ebay pickup from Brisbane and Sydney

The $120 for professional ones was a but exuberant I thought but supply and demand I suppose

EM7000 ones also fit if you find one though I assume they're stainless steel. I wouldn't try any random 58mm one you find but you might get lucky.
    Or ring some repair shops nearby.

I've emailed sunbeam to ask what a newy is worth about 2 weeks ago. They quoted me on baskets for some reason. After replying I was chasing a portafilter it's been radio silence. I cbf to call them though.

Rbn
    Yes, asked my local repair shop, who have been good, and ordered me a 4820 steam tip, for a price!
    More than the one I saw on Ebay!

I have one I could take the bottom out of, but need another one to replace it.
    Ewing Electrical list them at around $100.00.
    Interestingly, the portafilter on the 6910 I just bought will not go on to my original 6910.

I think I might just keep any eye out for a faulty machine, although the new ones have a better machining inside, no plastic parts, and a small centre spout hole

Most commercial 58mm portafilters will be too big to fit an EM6910. Even if the lugs are about right the OD of the main ring is too large. The really old school portafilters that you still occasionally see that are really shallow and bowl shaped will fit if you file down the lugs a little. One of them could be a good candidate for a bottomless conversion.

Yes, asked my local repair shop, who have been good, and ordered me a 4820 steam tip, for a price!
    More than the one I saw on Ebay!

I have one I could take the bottom out of, but need another one to replace it.
    Ewing Electrical list them at around $100.00.
    Interestingly, the portafilter on the 6910 I just bought will not go on to my original 6910.

I think I might just keep any eye out for a faulty machine, although the new ones have a better machining inside, no plastic parts, and a small centre spout hole
    G'day Rawill

I have run into a 2010 SB 6910 stainless p/f that does not fit most other 6910s. Ironically another 6910 made one month later would not fit it properly either (it was tricky, however it did work you jiggled it "just the correct way"). Out with the calipers: the early stainless 6910 p/f's are slightly bigger in external diameter than the brass p/f's. My stainless 7000 p/f fits any of the 6910s I have tried (but I hate the thing - too heavy and it also has the dreaded "LM downward angled handle"). Stay with brass if you have a choice. The stainless ones also take forever to warm up - at least twice as long as the machine.

BTW, the Gaggia Classic p/f is interchangeable with the 6910 brass p/f's (based on a sample of one - my friend's Gaggia and half a dozen 6910s).

Have fun

TampIt
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Great, the Gaggia Classic might be worth a shot.
    Grrr, last night I ordered a new 6910 PF from Ewwing Electrical! No doubt it will be SS!

I also bought a "dud" EM6910 so I could get the PF, $20.00. But they have not go back to me yet.
    It says it does not heat the water up, and has a smell, maybe it might be fixable, and I can put it in a "good home"

The lug position is wrong on Gaggia Classic portafilters. They're at '11 and 5' rather than '9 and 3' like the Sunbeam ones. You might be able to get it to work, but the handle position could be a problem.
    rawill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    The lug position is wrong on Gaggia Classic portafilters. They're at '11 and 5' rather than '9 and 3' like the Sunbeam ones. You might be able to get it to work, but the handle position could be a problem.
    If the one I tried was out at all, it must have been minor. The owner is still using a 6910 naked as his usual p/f.

TampIt

Sunbeam EM 6910

Another 6910 saved. I've finally finished rebuilding this one and it's working well. I replaced lots of parts - brew thermoblock and collar, steam and water wands and valves, touch pad, and group gasket of course. I ended up needing to run descaler through both the steam and the replacement brew thermoblocks, and it needed a good backflush to unblock the 3-way. It's all done now and well flushed so is running nicely.
    This one is a little bit more rough cosmetically so I've started respraying the two parts that are coated. I've just about finished the drip tray and I'll do the top cover as well now that I've finished the service. Thanks to the CS member that helped with parts for this rebuild. The final piece of the puzzle will be to source another 4820 steam tip from somewhere.

Rbn
    Good work.

My 4820 tip came from Sunbeam, through a local agent for $32.00.
    But I need another one, for my daughters 6910.

I put about 5 litres of Sunbeam descale through it over about 4 days,
    the steam thermoblock must have been quite calced, it ran green for ages, still was not quite pristine when I finished.
    Might have to get it a new steam thermoblock.

And I need a new collar sometime soon.
    Issue with leaking around my new seal, handle goes too far to the right.
    Have tried gaskets under the seal, worked well for ages, then started leaking after having sat doing nothing for 2 months while we were away.

Good work.

My 4820 tip came from Sunbeam, through a local agent for $32.00.
    But I need another one, for my daughters 6910.

I put about 5 litres of Sunbeam descale through it over about 4 days,
    the steam thermoblock must have been quite calced, it ran green for ages, still was not quite pristine when I finished.
    Might have to get it a new steam thermoblock.

And I need a new collar sometime soon.
    Issue with leaking around my new seal, handle goes too far to the right.
    Have tried gaskets under the seal, worked well for ages, then started leaking after having sat doing nothing for 2 months while we were away.
    $32 is about the best you'll do for a new Sunbeam steam tip. I thought they were more expensive than that here, I'll have to look into it. I usually buy from the Wellington based Sunbeam agent as the Chch mob are a bunch of morons. I'm currently trailing a 2 hole Profitec tip on my 6910 with reasonable results.

The newly refurbished 6910 is now getting a touch up to make it a bit prettier. I've sprayed the painted panels and rebrushed the stainless. Should look good.

Rbn
    Looking good. I guess you painted the top, the water tank top, and the drip tray surround. What colour and kind of paint did you use.

I need to do the top on my 5600, and the drip tray of the 5600, the coating has come off. I think I will paint just the inside of the tray in 2K grey or black but want the top to look original, it has a few places where it has started to lift. But the machine has basically had no work judging by other bit of it, including the p/f.

I use my local guys, PD Patton, or Campbells in Wellington.
    Last edited by rawill; 9th September 2017 at 01:29 PM.

Looking good. I guess you painted the top, the water tank top, and the drip tray surround. What colour and kind of paint did you use.

I need to do the top on my 5600, and the drip tray of the 5600, the coating has come off. I think I will paint just the inside of the tray in 2K grey or black but want the top to look original, it has a few places where it has started to lift. But the machine has basically had no work judging by other bit of it, including the p/f.

I use my local guys, PD Patton, or Campbells in Wellington.
    Yeah that's right. It's just some silver paint I had in the cupboard. Just an automotive spray pack that I got from Repco. Brand is Mototech or something like that and it's just plain silver. Trick with cans is to apply lots of light coats so these have 4 or 5 coats of silver and a coat of good quality Dulux clear plastic over the top.
    rawill likes this.

Refurb including respray and brush is now complete. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

rawill and zeezaw like this.