Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TampIt
  • 2 Post By rexy05

Thread: Help a beginner out

Help a beginner out

Hi

Never knew there was a whole world of coffee, I've been reading a lot over the past few days...

I currently have a crappy Aldi pod machine which I've been forcing map pods into because I can't stand the Aldi ones.

Bit over unjamming it every time, can I get some help on what to move on from with here? The catch is I have a $400 voucher I need to use at David Jones

The sunbeam em7100 looks perfect as I can still use pods if needed, but its $800 and reading on here I need another 200-250(!) on a grinder which is getting expensive

Any other suggestions? or try save up a bit and go for that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rexy05 View Post
    Hi

Never knew there was a whole world of coffee, I've been reading a lot over the past few days...

I currently have a crappy Aldi pod machine which I've been forcing map pods into because I can't stand the Aldi ones.

Bit over unjamming it every time, can I get some help on what to move on from with here? The catch is I have a $400 voucher I need to use at David Jones

The sunbeam em7100 looks perfect as I can still use pods if needed, but its $800 and reading on here I need another 200-250(!) on a grinder which is getting expensive

Thanks
    Hi mate, I was in the same position as you 2 years ago.
    I bought the em7000 for $690. Just an FYI harvey norman have the 7100 for $690 right now, will david jones price match? It's a solid machine, way better than the cheaper breville i tried (i forget it's name). It has a commercial sized portafilter (58mm) and strong steam, with an extraction dial to make sure pressure is right and a temp dial for milk which is good enough.

I believe the portafilter built for pods in the 7100 could double as a bottomless portafilter so you can refine your skills when you're ready.

I was also considering a gaggia classic or rancillio. As far as I know these are more legit coffee machines, as opposed to 'appliances'. I went with the sunbeam and 2 years in I wish I went for the legit machines, but thems the breaks.

TLDR the sunbeam is a solid choice imo.

You will need to shell out for a grinder, they are just as important as a machine if not more so. I went with a breville grinder pro for $150-$200 as a beginner. Pre ground coffee goes stale within days and grinding your own lets you get your shot right.

I'm ready to upgrade to 1k for a machine and $500 for a grinder once my wife and I graduate

Quote Originally Posted by science-teacher View Post
    Hi mate, I was in the same position as you 2 years ago.
    I bought the em7000 for $690. Just an FYI harvey norman have the 7100 for $690 right now, will david jones price match? It's a solid machine, way better than the cheaper breville i tried (i forget it's name). It has a commercial sized portafilter (58mm) and strong steam, with an extraction dial to make sure pressure is right and a temp dial for milk which is good enough
    Thanks good pickup , website says dj's will price match so will see how I go. Maybe I'll just get the machine for now and get a grinder later

Thanks good pickup , website says dj's will price match so will see how I go. Maybe I'll just get the machine for now and get a grinder later
    You do you, but the consensus is grinders are really important
    You don't wanna make the learning curve even steeper by using stale grounds etc
    Or discover you don't like it because how using bad coffee

Good luck

Hi

Thanks
    There is an old computer quote "garbage in, garbage out".

The grinder is usually the first stage of coffee prep at home (home roasters excepted). If you do not get a decent grinder you cannot really expect to get good coffee out of the espresso machine at the next stage. Most serious coffee buying guides suggest you spend as much on the grinder as the machine so you are able to get a better job out of the maker. Looking at my own systems (two locations*) I have two Mahlkonig Varios (about $700 each), one SB 7000 and one SB6910 (both about $700 new). Every friend that asks usually ends up with a secondhand 6910 that I preselect and depending upon budget gets a new SB480 / 500, Sette or Vario grinder. Buying secondhand grinders is too much of a lottery to bother unless you are well into the $1000+ new price ones - and even then a warranty is a really good idea.

As you are a (presumably broke) student, my suggestion is to get a good grinder new (minimum SB 480 / 500 or Breville Smartgrinder as a starting point) and then buy a venerable 6910 secondhand from somewhere reputable. In W.A. our best repairer usually has a couple of them for around $250, or buy one privately for about $200 - if you know what to look for. I presume Qld is similar. Oh, and the first time you use a proper grinder and set it up well it is the last time you will use a pod - one try will convince you.

TampIt
    PS Even NZ can get cheap 6910s - Sunbeam EM 6910 the thread is only 6 days old and he bought one for only $50. Ironically the same month of manufacture as one I just gave to a charity after checking it out. I see you already found that thread.

* I also have a Bo-ema RR45 (big commercial old beast) and a 2 group LA Pavoni (old commercial machine). At the time they were also about the same price as each other - so that buyer guide rule of thumb holds up pretty well. Neither of those are useful at home - too big, too noisy, too long to warm up (La Pav, also needs 20amps for 35 minutes and must be plumbed directly into mains or the rotary pump doesn't work properly) and consumes far too much power for a handful of cups a day. Family parties - capable of churning the cuppas out at a rate of 70+ per hour without breathing heavily.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    rexy05, welcome to the wonderful world of coffee,
    and all the fun you will have on the journey to getting better coffee than most cafes produce.

And you will do that with a good grinder and even an entry level coffee machine.
    And the above comments are the most important ones I will make.
    The rest of what I say is mostly noise!

Although others would not recommend this, I can tell you I can make a good cup, to my and others liking (unless they are just being nice) in my Sunbeam EM 4800c.

However, as Tampit has said, a used EM6910 and an EM 480 (or 450 which I have in my campervan paired with the EM 4800c) will do a great job for you.

I was the one who started up a thread the other day. I got my second EM6910 for NZ$50.00, was advertised on our Trademe site.
    It works fine, but has a small issue with the steam, but I don't mind "fixing things" so it does not bother me.

It will eventually end up at my daughters, in place of her little Breville Bar Vista, whicgh I gave her. That machine is paired with an EM 480 grinder, uses single walled baskets, and a bottomless portafilter. And it makes very acceptable coffee, although understandably the steam is slow.

Lets us know what you buy.
    There are a few "tricks/tips" to getting it all to work the way you want it to.

Have fun on the journey.

Thank you for the replies lots to think about

really don't want to get anything second hand , just want to use these gift cards

so if I was to get a sunbeam smart grinder for 250 at David jones is there a cheaper sunbeam I should go for ?

Thank you for the replies lots to think about

really don't want to get anything second hand , just want to use these gift cards

so if I was to get a sunbeam smart grinder for 250 at David jones is there a cheaper sunbeam I should go for ?
    Went for the em7100 and a breville
    smart grinder . No idea how to use them
    yet but they look great
    Magic_Matt and rawill like this.

Rbn
    I am sure you will have fun learning/doing, but most of all drinking your own "better than cafe coffee/espressos". Flat white or whatever is is your particular passion/poison!