Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rexy05
  • 1 Post By rexy05

Thread: first coffee

first coffee

Hi

Got my delivery from beanbay and had a chance to make my first espresso. Think it turned out pretty well just checking on how much coffee I should be using because it looked a bit dark

EM7100 using the single basket. Using a smart grinder pro, I set the grind to 7. Left it on one shot but it barely filled the basket, so I had to do one more to fill it to the top

During the shot, the gauge was in the green zone the whole time but not sure if "two shots" on the grinder should be one shot on the machine? How accurate is it going by time on the grinder?

Thanks!
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    It will be trial and error from here on. Just work on one thing at a time.

E.G. use the same tamping technique whatever it is, and change the grind from coarser to finer and note the difference.

Once you are OK with that, try tamping technique changes, a bit firmer, a bit softer, and note the changes.
    You might even want to keep a little notebook on what you have while you are dialling yourself and your gear in.

Some advocate progressive tamping, maybe 2 or 3 tamps, the first one or two being light after a small tap on the basked to level the fill.

So many techniques, take 10 Csers and there are probably 20 ideas.
    But in the end, the most imortant thing is you are happy and you and your friends like your coffee.

Are you using full cream, or skinny milk or something in between?

Can you weigh your shot? See if you get about 30 grams of liquid in about 30 seconds.
    Definitely change only one thing at a time. Good thing about times dose is that it should always be (about ) the same. Would that be about 15 g of ground coffee to suit your pf?

Quote Originally Posted by shortblackman View Post
    Can you weigh your shot? See if you get about 30 grams of liquid in about 30 seconds.
    Definitely change only one thing at a time. Good thing about times dose is that it should always be (about ) the same. Would that be about 15 g of ground coffee to suit your pf?
    Ill have to get some scales eventually, don't really have a way to weigh it

I get 30mls in 26-28 seconds and the gauge is in the green zone on the machine the whole time, but the coffee puck is very runny. I only tamp very very lightly

May try adding in a bit more coffee, no idea what the pf is meant to hold but it seems like a lot

Cant believe how much goes into making a simple drink but its kind of addictive
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by rexy05 View Post
    Cant believe how much goes into making a simple drink but its kind of addictive

aaha, he is hooked! haha.

I would try either a slightly finer grind, or a slightly firmer tamp before stuffing too much into the basket.

And in terms of filling the basket, how far down into the basket is you level. Like if you put a coin on top of the grind and then put it in to the group head, would the coin leave a mark, or do you think it would be clear of the group head.
    Some use this as a guide, others say not too.

It will be trial and error.

But important question that you did not answer, did you like the coffee?

And don't worry too much about the guage.
    It is a guide, I have two EM 6910's, in one I can "choke it" with the guage at the end of the yellow, the other needs to go right into the red to "choke it"

One your find you happy place, the guage will be your guide as to where it is and you go for it every time.
    With practice you will get there.

Enjoy the journey.

Just had my morning shot, 7gm VST, bottomless P/F, Hummingbird oomph beans, EM 480 ginder.
    I have been doing this for about 9 years, my 6910 was made Dec 2007.
    Wasted a lot of beans dialing myself in!