Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ascherjim
  • 1 Post By spin_addict
  • 1 Post By dbun
  • 1 Post By spin_addict

Thread: PID rancilio siliva

PID rancilio siliva

Hey coffeesnobs

I've owned a Rancilio Silva for approx 2years now. I'm thinking about upgrading to a new machine or maybe investing in a PID. Is the auber PID worth it for the price? Has anyone installed a PID from eBay on there Rancilio? Or should I just save my money for a new coffee machine

I picked up a Silvia second hand with a PID fitted - I purposely looked for such a machine. If I was buying the Silvia new and was factoring in a PID I probably would have looked past the Silvia and gone for a Lelit with PID already built in.

The Silvia is a great machine and the PID definitely makes it better in terms of consistency. You can still get great shots with the standard Silvia but temperature surfing etc is not for everyone and the PID just takes that guess work out of pulling consistent shots.

Some questions:
    What exactly is it about the Silvia that has you looking to upgrade or get a PID? Are you happy with the coffee you are getting?
    What machine would you upgrade to?
    If you sold the Silvia + factored in the price of the PID, does that get you to machine you are hoping to get, or do you have to stretch the budget still?

Most people that have upgraded end up going for a dual boiler or HX machine and most people say the only real benefit is being able to steam milk and pull shots at the same time.

I don't have the need to steam milk so I'm happy with my Silvia. "Gronking' or installing a themocouple to the boiler made a world or difference for temp surfing and being able to dial in temperature as well. It's also a good platform to mod. But as dbun mentioned, what is it that you find the machine lacking? I've found it capable of pulling a good shot

Hey Dbun

The reason why I have considered upgrading or buying the PID is mainly due to the consistency with my shots to vary at times, even when temp surfing at times. I'm not exactly sure what machine I would consider upgrading too yet, but I guess either a dual boiler or HX machine. A friend of mine has the Breville BES900 dual bolier which they recommend. Not sure if the build quality is there compared to even the likes of the Rancilio. If I was too upgrade I think that I would look at something around $1500-2000 range. But maybe installing a PID might be a good start

Vehemence do you had any feedback about the ebay PIDs? They are alot cheaper to the auber PID. I'm not sure if it's worth investing in the more expensive PID, would there be much of a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisf91 View Post
    Vehemence do you had any feedback about the ebay PIDs? They are alot cheaper to the auber PID. I'm not sure if it's worth investing in the more expensive PID, would there be much of a difference
    As far as I'm aware a PID is a PID. You might need to play with the variables that its programmed with but its pretty much a universal process. Thermocouples on the otherhand... make sure you've got the right type.

The reason why I have considered upgrading or buying the PID is mainly due to the consistency with my shots to vary at times, even when temp surfing at times.
    Are you surfing just by time or have you got a means of monitoring temperature? A PID definitely makes life easier but you can get comparable results for cheap with a thermocouple and digital thermometer.

I added a PID to my Silvia 12 years(!) ago, and it's still running smoothly, with the temperature set exactly at the level I designate. I suspect the modification technology and materials may have changed (improved?) somewhat in the 12-year-interim (with plenty of instruction on the internet -- including this forum) so I won't go into the details of my "ancient' modification. But I found it relatively easy to do and quite worthwhile. Good luck if you go that route.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vehemence View Post
    As far as I'm aware a PID is a PID. You might need to play with the variables that its programmed with but its pretty much a universal process. Thermocouples on the otherhand... make sure you've got the right type.

Are you surfing just by time or have you got a means of monitoring temperature? A PID definitely makes life easier but you can get comparable results for cheap with a thermocouple and digital thermometer.
    I was surfing by time. Yeah well maybe investing in a PID is the way to go. Thanks vehemence

Are you able to fit the PID yourself?
    This makes a difference in the amount of investment as you just have to but the PID and not factor in the cost of getting a tech to do it.

It seems that the PID is probably the better way to go to get what you want as it will give you the shot consistency you are chasing.

I was surfing by time. Yeah well maybe investing in a PID is the way to go. Thanks vehemence
    I don't imagine you'd regret getting the pid. I don't think anything can touch a PID'd Silvia on reliability, consistency or availability of parts. Plus it will make the process so much easier and quicker. No need to worry about temps just let it warm up and you're always good to go.

I installed the auber PID, the one with all the fruit; I also installed it internally and it looked pretty good. I "surfed" for a while but the tinkerer in me got the better of me. Well worthwhile in the end.
    vehemence likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spin_addict View Post
    I installed the auber PID, the one with all the fruit; I also installed it internally and it looked pretty good. I "surfed" for a while but the tinkerer in me got the better of me. Well worthwhile in the end.
    Nice setup spin_addict. Maybe I will eventually convince myself to do the same!

@spin_addict that is a nice looking Silvia! Couple of questions, where did you take the pressure from? Im thinking of installing a pressure gauge in mine and taking the reading from before the solenoid. Also where did you get the LEDs from?

Quote Originally Posted by vehemence View Post
    @spin_addict that is a nice looking Silvia! Couple of questions, where did you take the pressure from? Im thinking of installing a pressure gauge in mine and taking the reading from before the solenoid. Also where did you get the LEDs from?
    Thanks, the pressure feed came from just above the pump outlet but if i was to do it again I wouldn't take it from there because the gauge gets "hammered" to much. I would go straight off the boiler, ie. further from the pump.

The led's are straight forward enough, i sourced them and the power supply from somewhere like jaycar. (Bear in mind the connection of the power supply to the internal circuits of the Silvia require a competent person to do so.)

@spin_addict - what have you done to the group head cover? Looks good!
    spin_addict likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbun View Post
    @spin_addict - what have you done to the group head cover? Looks good!
    Nothing difficult here, I just removed the plastic chromed cover to expose the brass grouphead. This little bit of red is just insulation.

It's funny, some people hate it and others like it. Same goes with the orange chassis, it's loved and hated.
    Dimal likes this.

Hey Dbun
    If I was too upgrade I think that I would look at something around $1500-2000 range. But maybe installing a PID might be a good start
    I'd just go and buy an Oscar II then. $1400 HX machine win.

Quote Originally Posted by applor View Post
    I'd just go and buy an Oscar II then. $1400 HX machine win.
    Oscar II with our OPV kit
    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/nuov...-oscar-ii.html

Spin addict, you have a dream machine. Wish I had the skills to install a PID
    Can I buy your machine, are you in Melbourne? can you mod mine?
    I get some stunning espresso from my Silvia but a PID would be a dream

Quote Originally Posted by PhatBoy View Post
    Spin addict, you have a dream machine. Wish I had the skills to install a PID
    Can I buy your machine, are you in Melbourne? can you mod mine?
    I get some stunning espresso from my Silvia but a PID would be a dream

Sorry PhatBoy, I'd love to help with the mod but I'm in Perth. my is Sylvia is sold and with a mate now. It's not that hard to modify, you just need to take your time with it. Good luck.