Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Isomac Zaffira - Repair or Replace

Isomac Zaffira - Repair or Replace

Hi guys and gals
    I have been a long term lurker here but this is my first post. My Isomac Zaffira was leaking so I sent it in for a quote. $800 - $900, nearly floored me. Apparently it has small pinprick holes in the boiler which needs to be replaced @$450 + numerous gaskets + labour. I can buy a new one for $1600 or get the old one fixed for about half the price. Thing is if I go the latter who knows what may be just around the corner in terms of more repairs. So really I guess my question to the many knowledgeable people on this forum is, if I decide to buy a new machine is there anything in the $1600 ball park that would be better than my Zaffiro. I never add milk to coffee so don't need a double boiler and it has to be said that I do love, and am used to, my Zaffiro. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated - I don't know for how long I can make do with a stove top espresso maker. Thanks in advance.

G'day Lincoln...

I believe the Zaffira utilises a s/s Boiler...
    If chlorine has not been totally removed from the water source you use, any remnants will, over time, cause pit corrosion of the internals of the Boiler, ultimately resulting in pinholes being formed.

Anyway, the short answer to all of this is, when you have a machine that uses s/s Boilers rather than brass or copper, then you must use 100% effective means to remove any dissolved chlorine compounds from the water before it enters the Boiler. There are filters on the market that can do this for you. The alternative is to acquire a new machine that uses a brass or copper boiler but still important to use correct water filtering to avoid scale formation and optimise coffee flavours.

All the best mate,
    Mal.
    matth3wh likes this.

Thanks for your reply Dimal

I only use filtered rain water so hopefully that takes care of the chlorine problem. I did however buy the machine second hand so maybe the damage was done previous to my ownership. I have just purchased an Isomac Tea with a s/s boiler, also second hand, so I am keen to avoid the same thing happening as with the Zafirro. Is my assumption that rain water run through a Pura Tap filter will be devoid of chlorine? Chlorine is added to mains water but should not be present in rain water right?

Cheers
    Lincoln

G'day again mate...

Rainwater should be fine with a suitable particulate filter, and perhaps heavy metals too depending on the pollution in your area.

Yep, sounds like the damage may have been done before you got it. Might pay to have your latest acquisition's boiler checked out too, to ensure that it's not a future disaster waiting to happen.

All the best Lincoln,
    Mal.
    matth3wh likes this.