Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gonzo89

Thread: Rocket Appartamento ceramic mushroom

Rocket Appartamento ceramic mushroom

Hey CS'ers, I haven't posted in ages but this one just had to be mentioned.

Anybody own a Rocket Appartamento or serviced the Rocket E-61 with a ceramic mushroom under the cap?
    I only bring it up because in my personal opinion it's terrible. I get that it won't get scale like the brass piece would, but water filtration should be the emphasis, not changing parts to more delicate materials. I think this is a bad move.

I went to see what was wrong with my neighbours Rocket Appartamento and it was nothing major, just the little hole on the nut at the top of the mushroom was blocked by a little bit of scale as they were not using correctly filtered water. I sorted that out but upon removing the large nut the mushroom didn't come out. Half of the top on the threaded ceramic mushroom broke off. Very brittle stuff. To remove it involved repeated attempts at looseing the seal at the base of the mushroom and each touch of the ceramic would break another piece off.

The replacement costs as much as the chromed brass piece. Easy decision in terms of swapping the ceramic out for the original material. But having owned a few e-61 group machines this is just an unnecessary replacement cost on a machine that is just over a year old.

Thoughts?

Al

Didn't know they are using ceramic mushrooms these days? Weird.

Wouldn't scale form in a similar manner regardless of material? The ceramic would initially run cooler perhaps but long term I would have thought it would be similar.

Cheers

Hi Artman,
    I was also unaware of the change. If you look on Rocket's website it states that all Rocket machines will now ship with the ceramic mushroom.

Well yes limescale can build up on ceramic as that's evident on old bathroom tiles but perhaps much less than on a brass piece. There wasn't a single bit of scale on the ceramic I will admit, but I don't find it a practical material for the mushroom. I hope Rocket will reconsider the move.

Conventional wisdom seems to bd that the brass acts as a sacrificial anode and that's where the scale forms first; I'll leave it to someone who paid attention in highschool science to confirm/deny whether that's actually the case. Certainly there's anecdotal evidence that the mushroom on machines using brass can form heaps of scale, and it is an easily accessible component to check.

ECM's approach of using stainless steel makes more sense to me that ceramic if another material is desired. LM don't do anything without a reason though so it would be good to know specifically why they've gone down that path.

Hi Magic Matt.

The description on the Rocket website does say it is to reduce scale buildup. That's not a good enough reason since, as you said, the mushroom is an easily accessible component to check (and descale if necessary). I don't think many people will want a broken ceramic mushroom replacment each time they want to service their E-61.
    I can only hope Rocket reconsiders their decision.
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.