Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: 2nd hand Gaggia Classic - brewing tips/service required?

2nd hand Gaggia Classic - brewing tips/service required?

Hi all
    I recently purchased a 2nd hand Gaggia Classic and am in love with it!! Still learning all the ins and outs and just have a couple of questions regarding coffee making and the running of the machine.
    Firstly, when i turn on the hot water switch and just runs hot water, the water squirts and sprays everywhere. When i watch videos on how to use it, it looks more like water coming out of a tap, thicker and streamlike. So im wondering if there is a problem here?
    My next question is in regards to how much coffee to use? I've been using about 15- 16grms but this touches the filter head. Most of what I read say to use 16 or 18 grams but i almost need to go down to 12 or 13 grams to not touch the head (I haven't actually tried this yet), this is with the grinder set to 6, so quite fine.
    These are my main questions for now, but im sure ill have many more.
    Thankyou :-)

Hi there. Gaggia Classics are great little machines capable of making awesome coffee. If it's the traditional Gaggia double basket you're using then you're right that around 14g is a good dose. If you want to dose higher you'll need to get a bigger filter basket. The Gaggia portafilter should hold an 18-20g IMS basket ok. As for other tips and tricks I suggest you actually head over to the Gaggia User Group site. There's a wealth of information there as well as plenty of friendly, helpful advice if you join up. Most of it refers to the Gaggia Classic so it'll be worth checking out for sure. All the best, enjoy your new machine.
    JojoS and StidiCoffee like this.

Thanks!! How do I find that group? Have searched the groups and can't find it???

Quote Originally Posted by TamaJade View Post
    Thanks!! How do I find that group? Have searched the groups and can't find it???
    Easy. They have a dedicated website. It's just gaggiausersgroup.com.
    StidiCoffee likes this.

Hi TamaJade, I’ve got a Gaggia Classic as well and as LeroyC said it has a wealth of information there. It does a while to get replies as it’s basd overseas but is a great site.