• 1 Post By WhatEverBeansNecessary
  • 1 Post By WhatEverBeansNecessary
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Gotta start somewhere

Gotta start somewhere

Hey everyone!

This is my official first post.

Please be kind, I know not many of you enjoy appliance questions haha.

So I'm looking to get into the coffee making game and I love the idea of manually make it all myself.

I'm currently eyeing off two machines.

1 - Breville BES870 https://www.jbhifi.com.au/whitegoods...xpress/394263/

2 - Sunbeam EM7100 https://www.harveynorman.com.au/sunb...e-machine.html

I'd love your opinions and experiences on these machines. My reasons for these are ease of use. Seem like a quality bit of kit. Not too harsh on the wallet. They look amazing.

Biggest differences are Breville has the grinder in built but the Sunbeam has 2 boilers and a pod handle.

I'd love any positive input or even other options in the price range upto $800

Thank you.

If you bought the 7100 what grinder would you buy? If there's nothing left in the budget after the 7100 I'd suggest the 870, but don't leave the beans in the hopper when you're not grinding. If you can get the 7100 and a Sunbeam EM0480 or higher, or a Breville BCG820 then go with that. There's a used Rancilio Rocky for sale on here at the moment for $250 +postage which will be a decent step up from any Sunbeam or Breville grinder.

If you can be convinced to look at second hand equipment, a used Rancilio Silvia machine and Rocky grinder will be well in front of either of the two machines above and will outlast them by years (even when bought second hand).

My comments are limited to the Breville Bes870. My first one lasted 3 years say 5,000 coffees. Repair would have cost $200 to $300. Bought another but with extended warranty. They are a bit expensive to throw out early. Binned a $ 200 microwave that lasted 4 years, that was good value. So I understand the attraction of the long lasting Italian machines. Perhaps with that in mind you can purchase a dearer more durable machine. I do think you probably have to be a hobbyist to keep them going, paid repairs are likely to be expensive. The Bes870 is a convenient appliance, turn it on when you want your coffee, it is super quick, no waiting to warm up, does what it says, great results with freshly roasted beans, not so with most supermarket beans. Best of luck.
    SPA50 likes this.

Thank you both for your opinions and experience! Muchly appreciated. I should have also put a pole on this post ��

If I have to get a grinder I'd probably fork out the extra coin for the Breville smart grinder. I'll definitely look into the Rancilio brand.

So I've found out that breville are bout to release a barista touch. It's basically a barista express version of the Oracle touch.

https://youtu.be/-pycramcnRE

That's interesting.

I personally would look at a second hand machine before going back to a Breville.
    If you drop $2/3k on a machine you could get something with a better build quality. Look into some of vibemme machines around that mark.
    SPA50 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatEverBeansNecessary View Post
    I personally would look at a second hand machine before going back to a Breville.
    If you drop $2/3k on a machine you could get something with a better build quality. Look into some of vibemme machines around that mark.
    These two breville machines are below $1500. I don't think I could justify over $2k on a coffee machine just yet

But I'll check out those anyway ��

Ahhh my apologies. I thought I saw that the new Breville was like almost $3K (which seemed absurd to me).
    But have a look around see what you can spy for second hand or even a demo at a local place. I got an ex demo and saved nearly $1000 for a machine that had never even been turned on before!
    SPA50 likes this.

Oh nice! Well done. Might have to ask around for some south side of Brisbane shops.

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by SPA50 View Post
    So I've found out that breville are bout to release a barista touch. It's basically a barista express version of the Oracle touch.
    Interesting indeed; however, it seems like it is going to be over $1,500!
    From what I could quickly find (couldn't find any AU Details) Best Buy in Canada have it for CAD1,599

I assume they will keep the Barista Express around for the sub $1k market.

I called up Harvey Norman yesterday and was told $1499 rrp. They said they could do better obviously but won't know until they've ordered their first lot. They have just arrived in stock in Breville QLD. 3 Harvey Norman stores in NSW have them already.

Problem is always going to be how much is the cool display worth to you vs learning to use a proper espresso machine. At the heart of that $1,500 machine is the equivalent non display bes870 that can be easily purchased for $700, and sometimes less than that

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Problem is always going to be how much is the cool display worth to you vs learning to use a proper espresso machine. At the heart of that $1,500 machine is the equivalent non display bes870 that can be easily purchased for $700, and sometimes less than that
    Yeah that's exactly right. Even the Breville Duo can be had for less than $1300

Going rate for the bes900 and the bcg920 is closer to $900 as a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Going rate for the bes900 and the bcg920 is closer to $900 as a set.
    Haven't seen the dual boiler and Grinder blow $1.2k anywhere. The cheapest I've seen it is $1297

Haven't seen the dual boiler and Grinder blow $1.2k anywhere. The cheapest I've seen it is $1297
    You can get it for under $1k when the stars align and a store like TGG etc has a sale on and it stacks with an eBay 20% code.

I just made the mistake of watching that Breville video. Wow that was painful!! So many cliches my head nearly exploded.
    cafelazio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbun View Post
    You can get it for under $1k when the stars align and a store like TGG etc has a sale on and it stacks with an eBay 20% code.
    Yeah good point haha. Definitely a better machine overall

So I have chosen to stay away from the appliance store machines thanks to this site and a mate of mine having worked at a coffee machine repair shop before.

Now I am looking into the Lelit PL042TEMD. I wish I could afford the Lelit PL82T but it's a tad out of my price range.

Would anyone recommend any other machine within the 1500 price range? I enjoy the inbuilt Grinder and I won't be storing my beans inside. I'll scoop the correct amount each time into the hopper.

Do any sponsors/stores have specials? I'm in no rush and with Christmas coming up I can only hope some specials appear.

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II. Nothing wrong with the Lelit you’re considering, but the Oscar II is probably just a touch better. I think they’ve been going for as low as around $1400, so you might need to look at second hand or budget grinders for the time being if you can’t go past $1500. I know some site sponsors have been selling the Oscar II in a package with grinder and other bits and pieces. Could be worth looking in to.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for the input LeroyC but unfortunately I find that machine an eye sore I appreciate the input though.

Thanks for the input LeroyC but unfortunately I find that machine an eye sore I appreciate the input though.
    Ah right, fair enough. By all accounts it’s far and away the best option in that price range, but I wouldn’t spend that sort of money on something I thought was fugly either.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Ah right, fair enough. By all accounts it’s far and away the best option in that price range, but I wouldn’t spend that sort of money on something I thought was fugly either.
    Maybe I should inspect I'm person then. Might change my mind. Thank you LeroyC

Rbn
    Just for info. I just paid NZ$205.00 for an EM7100. Apparently hardly used. I have yet to see it. Just saying. Sometimes there are some good buys to be had. Time will tell if I made the right decision!

I'm starting to wonder if I go all out and get a lelit combi PL042TEMD or lelit Kate PL82T or save some coin and get a Breville... See if I really want to do this.