Thread: Citric acid as alternative to descaler/cleaner for EM 6910

Citric acid as alternative to descaler/cleaner for EM 6910

Hi all - I've bought my EM 6910 with me while I'm in China - won't be returning home till June. I can get citric acid easily here but actual sunbeam descaler and cleaning product is going to be harder.......what does everyone think about descaling/cleaning with citric acid rather than actual sunbeam stuff?

Rbn
    Don't know about citric acid.

White Vinegar is one of the options as well, it is in the list of cleaners that Sunbeam has.
    Many have used it, it works, perhaps not as well as the Sunbeam tablets, but also not as many chemicals.

I have used it, as has my son, on the steam thermoblock, (which Sunbeam don't recommend) but if you don't it is likely to block.
    Son reported recently his steam was weak, used the vinegar solution and the steam came back strongly.

Do not use citric in anything that is not going to be completely dismantled. Citric does not disolve scale like a proprietry liquid descaler but tends to leave chunks and particles which will give all kinds of grief, especially in HX and Sunbeam type machines.

Ok thanks - vinegar is listed, apparently, in the Sunbeam manual - so I think I will use that