Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By toorakwa

Thread: EM7100 Screeching Noise when using steam

Unhappy EM7100 Screeching Noise when using steam

Hi all

Absolutely Coffee newbie here!

Bought a Sunbeam EM7100 and Breville Smart Grinder Pro yesterday and spent a couple of hours experimenting last night

I managed to get the grind correct and pull a decent Espresso shot, however having issues with a very loud noise when trying to texture the milk

Basically I put around 400ml of milk into the supplied jug, insert the tip of the wand just under the milk surface and turn the steam on, the volume level is quite deafening, and doesn't at all sound like what a Caf or similar sounds like
    I've tried experimenting with the angle of the wand, depth of the wand etc, but the volume is very very loud. My question is could this be a faulty wand or just me technique?

The milk gets hot, so steam is working, but I need some advice

Thanks all in advance

Hi Luke, welcome.
    Is the noise there when the steam wand is not in the milk, like if you just switch it on? If not then it's technique. The milk makes a screaming noise when the tip is too deep. No more than 1/4 of the tip should be under the milk when you start steaming.
    If the noise is there when the steam wand is just in air then it's due to the thermoblock that produces the steam, whereas cafes will have boilers in their machines.

Check out this video, watch from 5:10 to see the streaming
    https://youtu.be/LkGQtHq7-HU
    Notice at 5.37-5.38 he has the tip too deep and it screams a little bit but he lowers the jug and the noise disappears.
    rawill likes this.

Thanks Ninja,

To be honest the screaming noise in that video is pretty much what I experienced. I had basically the whole tip under the milk surface and it screamed the whole time...

Ok, just touch it to the surface to start with then once you can feel the milk is no longer cold but starting to get warm you can put the tip under the surface.
    rawill likes this.

You need to introduce some air into the cold milk by first lowering your jug until you hear a hiss-hiss-hiss sound for a few seconds. This sound is air being sucked into the milk. Then bring to jug up soon after this so the wand is immersed. The screaming sound is because there are no air bubbles in the milk.
    level3ninja likes this.

Rbn
    Hi Luke, welcome to the wonderful world of discovery around the skills needed to get your coffee the way you want.
    A great journey, and well worth the effort, as you have already discovered re the espresso pour.

You will have the milk sorted in no time, and have the great silky microfoam you want.

I have just swopped out my stream 6910 nozzle, for a 4820 steam nozzle.

That has made the milk process on my 6910 so much easier.

As said above only just have the tip in ever so slightly, you will see a depression in the milk surface/flow, and ever so small changes in depth till you get the quantity you want, about 1/3 increase in volume I think.
    Then lower the tip in deeper until you get to temperature, and keep the milk rolling spinning around the jug, or maybe tumbling, to keep incorporating the mix of foam into the milk.
    Last edited by rawill; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toorakwa View Post
    The screaming sound is because there are no air bubbles in the milk.
    Well there you go. I always thought it was to do with the temperature. I feel some afternoon science is in order. (And even better it will be science that results in coffee!)

Cold milk, screams as expected:
    20170929_162117.jpg

30s in microwave, milk at ~30C, still screams:
    20170929_162144.jpg

Another 30s in microwave, milk at ~55C, still screams:
    20170929_162215.jpg

So that shows the increase of temperature does not eliminate screaming. To prove the increase of trapped air would eliminate screaming without an increase in temperature I the some cold milk in the Thermomix for ~10s at top speed:
    20170929_162248.jpg

Milk temperature at 20C, no scream:
    20170929_162311.jpg

Science over, I'd say that's myth confirmed Jamie!