Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Javaphile

Thread: BES920 suddenly a problem with pour, help!

BES920 suddenly a problem with pour, help!

I’m hoping the experts on here can help with some advice. For some reason I cannot get a pour through my dual wall double basket. After the prebrew I just get a squeaky noise. Nothing had changed so I thought uhh, my beans are off. Bought a fresh batch from the coffee company local store where they assured me they are freshly roasted. Same problem. So went down to another roaster today and same problem again. Prebrew is 5-6 and once the pour should start after a few secs it’s up to around 8.5 on the pressure gauge, which is about normal for my machine.
    ive tried adjusting the grind to both finer and coarser, to the point of being very coarse but no joy.
    i can get a pour using the single wall basket but it’s just not that great.
    I’ve been using my BES920 to brew long black, using double shot dual wall very happily for years. I clean it regularly (backflush and decalcify). I’ve got the Breville grinder that comes with the BES920.
    Ive now been through over 500g of coffee trying everything I can think of to get a pour so getting a bit desperate! Any help would be really appreciated.

Why are you using the dual walled basket? If you have fresh beans and your own grinder throw that POS away and use the single walled double basket!

Java "Make real espresso!" phile
    prydey and SPA50 like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

+1 for what Java recommend.

Or....Put some caffetto in your single hole basket then try running a double shot through?

Admittedly the Breville grinder is not fabulous and this model has a history of needing to get bits from Breville to sort it out, and I’ve never bothered. I’ve been able to get an acceptable black coffee from the dual wall, so was happy to use it.
    no idea what caffetto is?

Well maybe I will stop being lazy and sort out the issues so I can use single wall basket. One thing I’ve always wondered with my machine is whether it’s building enough pressure. When I first got it nearly 4 years ago, I enthusiastically went and did a barista course on this machine, and spent lots of time playing to try and get a good shot for a long black. I was never really successful. Eventually I lost interest and just went with the pressurised basket.
    So, with the single wall double shot, after prebrew, its at about 7 on the pressure gauge. Does this sound right? I’m getting crema but not real thick so once I top up with water it’s breaking up.

Sounds like there's a piece of ground coffee stuck in the hole in the bottom wall of the basket. I too echo the sentiments above about tossing it entirely. The single wall basket is a bit harder to get right but can produce much much better coffee. If you want to keep using the double wall basket use the cleaning tool that came with the machine to poke through the hole from the bottom, on one side is the bit too clear the hole in the steam wand, which will be too big, but if you pull the cover off the other side it will reveal a much smaller pin for the dual wall basket bottom hole.
    unnamed.jpg

freogirl,
    Another good check for confirming blockage is to (with a clean empty dual floor basket) hold your basket up a bright light source.
    If your basket is blocked,you won't be able to see the single pin hole however,if you can see light coming through then it's clear/ unobstructed.
    Common problem with dual floor baskets,because over time coffee grinds will work they way into this one opening and obstruct!
    Simple remedy,poke the little plastic tool's fine wire into this hold and confirm with the light again.
    Single floor baskets don't have this problem due to the many holes always providing a clear access for your shot.
    Cheer's,
    Mick.