Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Stu76

Thread: Breville Barista Express 870XL Extraction issue.

Breville Barista Express 870XL Extraction issue.

HI everyone, of course I'm new to this My current situation is this. I'm using inexpensive store bought beans to practice with at first. I've had the machine only a couple days. My grind size (Set to 5)m single wall filter and dose/tamping seems to be good (good using razor) because it gets me to the high side of the good pressure zone between 12:00 and 1:30 position pretty consistently. and I'm getting just slightly under 1 ounce for a single shot. What is frustrating me is the 18 sec extraction time (from the time I press the button). I can't figure out how to get the 25-30 second time without going into the 1.5 to 2 ounce range. Everything I have read has been about getting the grind and dose/tamp right in order to get the proper extraction pressure. I assumed once I got that the rest would fall into place. NOT! Any suggestions?

Thanks

UPDATE: One quick update, I just ran the process to program the 1 shot button. The pressure was up to just past the 12 o'clock position and I programmed to run for 25 seconds (starting when I pushed the button) and at the end of 25 seconds I had 2 ounces (measured in a gratuated beaker) on the single shot setting. Any idea what I'm missing?
    Last edited by RobF; 14th October 2017 at 01:46 PM.

One quick update, I just ran the process to program the 1 shot button. The pressure was up to just past the 12 o'clock position and I programmed to run for 25 seconds (starting when I pushed the button) and at the end of 25 seconds I had 2 ounces (measured in a gratuated beaker) on the single shot setting. Any idea what I'm missing?

Sorry for the duplication, I tried to delete but can't
    Last edited by RobF; 14th October 2017 at 01:48 PM.

Breville Barista Express 870XL Extraction issue.

Hi Rob, beans should be fresh, preferably within two to four weeks of the roast date. Most supermarket coffee is well beyond this window. Grab some fresh beans from your local caffeine dealer or order online, and give that a go. Good luck.
    level3ninja and WarrenK like this.

Your issue is the stale supermarket beans.

I understand your idea behind using cheap beans to practice your technique, but the issue is that you really are wasting time as the end result will never be correct without proper fresh beans.