Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jordanlaa
  • 3 Post By jordanlaa

Thread: Popping sound during or after steaming milk on Lelit PL41TEMD

Popping sound during or after steaming milk on Lelit PL41TEMD

Hello everyone,

I've recently made the jump into home espresso after switching from a fully automatic machine to a Lelit PL41TEMD and Lelit PL43MMI grinder, so far I'm really enjoying the experience and have been making some very formidable drinks.

However, I've noticed that sometimes when I'm steaming the milk, there will be a pop sound kind of like a bottle bursting from pressure and there will be a small puff of steam out of the group head. I'm not quite sure what it is, but is it something I should worry about? Am I supposed to open the steam valve the whole way when steaming? Generally I open it about 3 turns and it seems to get to the maximum steam level; turning the value further doesn't seem to add any more steam and is a nuisance to turn off when I'm done steaming. Also, on the last few shots of coffee I've been getting a very wet puck which causes the puck to stick to the group head when I take off the porta filter, to remedy it, I do a small jiggle to make it fall into the basket and then rinse it with the pump quickly before moving on to steaming, I've heard that it may be normal depending on the beans but is it possible that its related to the popping sound if there's something wrong with the value which dries the puck?

I tried to search a bit online without any luck, perhaps somebody here might be able to tell me if they've experienced something similar?

The PID is set at 95 for espresso and 125 for steam.

Thanks everybody in advance!

Here are some images of the set up for anyone curious as well as my second attempt at milk and latte art, the first try was bubbled up like a mousse haha. Baby steps I guess.

Hi Jordanlaa, I am not sure if you are in Australia but if you are it might be worth contacting Jetblackespresso.com.au they are the importers and could let you know if everything is ok. I have the same machine but never steam

Sounds like the group head valve is popping open due to the pressure, but I'm pretty sure the newer Lelit machines don't have one, and use a proper solenoid valve instead. Worth a message to Jetblack to get a better insight.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm based in Sydney, but as I can't drive, its very difficult to take the machine over to Jetblacckespresso's showroom in French Forest. Also the machine is out of warranty since I got it second hand.

Timmyjj21, from my research, the Lelit uses a three way selonoid valve, do you know if it would be dangerous if it was letting out small bits of pressure? Is there risk of exploding steam or anything?

I haven't run a backflush yet since I didn't have the blind filter. I've just ordered one, i'm hoping my problem might be caused by a bit of coffee ground which isn't letting the valve secure properly which I can fix with a good backflush.

Jordan, I was actually just thinking a phone call

Though with the reported NBN difficulties that may be just as hard.

Ahhh...no backflushing... Let's wait and see!

Jordan I thought after writing I should have mentioned the blind filter is 57mm. Realised as you may not be getting it from Jet Black the vendor may assume standard 58mm. It is probably worth getting a backflush agent as well especially if you don't know the cleaning history.

I've got some of the jetblack agent. For the back flushing, I got one of the back flush disks, I hope that's okay? It's rubber and sticks inside an existing portafilter, the pressure pushes it against the holes. It still hadn't arrived yet though
    Dimal likes this.

update for anyone watching: backflushing fixed the problem! Done milk about 4 or 5 times since without the issue
    Dimal, 338 and SPA50 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanlaa View Post
    update for anyone watching: backflushing fixed the problem! Done milk about 4 or 5 times since without the issue
    Awesome news dude! Congratulations!