Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BLW
  • 1 Post By rawill

Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 v EM7100

Sunbeam EM7000 v EM7100

Hello wise ones,
    My very old and well loved EM6910 is on its last legs and I think it might be time to replace it

Looking at either the EM7000 or EM7100 both of which are on special this long weekend in NZ

Apart from the 2nd group handle for the coffee pods (that I know I will never use) what is the difference between the 2 machines? is one better the the other? Specs look the same from Sunbeam but shop guy told me the 7100 has been turned down a bit in both temp and pressure to work with the pods. Does anyone know if this is the case? and does it make a big difference?

as much info as you can give me would be great as I like to do the analysis to paralysis before spending my hard earnt coin

Many thanks
    :c)

BLW
    I had the EM7000 for a bit over 3 years before it started to play up and looked at the EM7100 as a replacement option.
    What I didn't like were the plastic wheels that are used for the steam and water controller. They almost seem to be made to break. The one on the EM7000 was sturdy but the rubber was getting a bit worn and had an odd feel to it after 3 years.

From what they told me in the shop, the machines are pretty much the same. It makes sense that they made adjustments to make pods work.

Although that doesn't really help you much, the one thing I suggest you to do for sure is to get an extended warranty with any of them. There are many here that reported failures in the first years while others were lucky and had their machine for up to 7 years.

After a long time mind searching and thinking how long-term invested I'll be into making coffee, I decided to pay 3x more than the Sunbeam (what I initially wnated to pay) and got myself a Bezzera BZ10 (was also on a nice special, with extended warranty offered) which should last a very long time.

Hope that helps you at least a bit with your decision.
    Bernhard.
    matth3wh likes this.

Thanks heaps for your reply. I just looked up the Bezzera and it looks like it a little over $2k here in NZ, the EM7100 is on special for $560, sadly I am going to have to be driven by price. I will have a second look at the EM7000 v the 7100 build quality and also have a look at getting the old machine fixed or a 2nd hand Italian machine. soooo much to think about

BLW
    The price difference is massive indeed.

I'm quite new to all of this, but here's what I gatherd from reading multiple formums for hours.

My decision came from how spending $560 now towards a machine that will only last me for a few years is compared to putting a lot of money down now. With the must have 5 year extended warranty for Sunbeam/Breville machines, it's $560 for 5 years for sure. From what I've read here most people replaced their machine after 8 years max (most way earlier - mine lasted 3 years).

The difference in your buget to go a step up with the same convenience the Sunbeam has is quite big. I was leaning towards the Lelit Vicotria (PL91, AUD1450) before I found a too good to pass special for the BZ10. It depends what you want from your machine too. Espressos or milky coffees?

The entry level machines like the well loved Rancillio Silvia are IMO for enthusiasts who love to perfectionate their routine. Forgetting to top up water could damage the boiler. You need routines of flushing and waiting (temperature surf) to get a consistent shot. Also, you make your coffees first, then wait for the boiler to come to steam, then steam milk, then have to wait for things to cool down if you decide to make more cups of coffee. Other machines take a long time to heat up, which can be overcome with timers (set timer 1 hour before you want to drink your coffee).

The Sunbeam did what it did quite well for me. Super fast heat up time, make good coffee and steam milk straight away. It just didn't last long enough for me to keep going down that way.

Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeequeen View Post
    sadly I am going to have to be driven by price. I will have a second look at the EM7000 v the 7100 build quality and also have a look at getting the old machine fixed or a 2nd hand Italian machine. soooo much to think about
    Wondering whether you can get the Nuova Simonelli Oscar II in NZ? Might prove to be a good option for you coffeequeen. Doesn't cost as much as something like the BZ10 (less metal) but still will do a good job in coffee making (it's 2L boiler ensures plenty of steam for many coffees back to back and more quickly). Likely should have increased longevity and repairability over the EM7000. But again, it's still going to cost more than the EM7000 - at least in the short term.

Hopefully a suitable second hand machine might show up for you too. Good luck.
    Last edited by matth3wh; 20th October 2017 at 09:51 PM.

Rbn
    Surely the 6910 can be repaired, brought up to top spec, and you can save for top end machine.
    My 6910 has done over 10,000 shots, just about to replace the collar, it has had a new steam thermoblock, and a couple of thermal fuses and magnetic water level sensor. That is all.

Just about to get a 7000, for home, and my 6910 will go to the holiday house.
    Time will tell if I made the right call.
    matth3wh likes this.