Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rawill
  • 1 Post By rawill
  • 2 Post By Yelta

Thread: Decent Espresso Baskets etc.

Rbn

Decent Espresso Baskets etc.

Just for fun I bought some baskets from Decent Espresso.
    They assured me they are made to the same exacting standards as VST.

I can not tell really, however, they seem good to me.

Along with their tamper, (spring loaded to 25lb I think) and their simple scales, I am experimenting with the grind and dosing, since I can now be consistent.

I note I am not getting as many "dry" pucks as I used to with the 15gm VST,
    but the gauge goes to the edge of the red (6910) as it did with the 15 gm basket, as it does with the 15 gm VST.
    Same story with the 7 gm, but I think I find it easier to use than the 7 gm VST.
    Mainly because the normal tamper does the trick with the Decent Espresso basket, whereas it is not quite to simple with the VST 7 gm.

So now my VST baskets will go to retirement in our house in town along with the 6910, and it's new collar (our escape from the farm to town).
    As of Friday, at home (on the farm) it will be a 7000 with the new baskets, tamper and scales.
    LeroyC likes this.

How do you find the scales?

I saw a video of the scales vs the Brewista scales:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDdf10ACbNM

I'm not sure what the intention is? To show that the Decent Simple Scale is more sensitive in that it picks up with fewer paper clips?
    Was hoping the scales had a built in timer, but oh well.

I've seen a few branded scales around, but they turn out to be rebranded eBay cheapies e.g:
    Marketlane: digital-pocket-scales

vs

ebay: 2000g Mini-Professional-Digital-Precision-Weight-Pocket-Lab-Kitchen-Scale

which can be had for even less than half that price if you are happy to wait for shipping from China.

Commercial and eBay links removed as per the Site Posting Policy
    Last edited by Javaphile; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:22 PM. Reason: eBay/Commercial link(s) removed

Rbn
    Of course me being me, I found them on the Decent Espresso webiste!

But I don't think you meant that.
    They were not cheapies!

But they are grams, like 7.0gms the dec point to 1 point.
    Turn them on tyhey say Hullo, so that is the first greeting for the morning in my house!
    they have zero button, so you can put the p/f on then zero it.
    And they have a timer, so you cans set it to 60,120, or 180 seconds after which it will go off.
    Works very well with a naked P/F.
    With a double spout it fits on, just.

I am sure I was overdosing most of the time.
    So now along with the spring loaded tamper, and the scales, I have taken some variables out of my mix.

Is it beter or not, worth the money or not.
    Who knows, much cheaper than motor racing, another addiction of mine!
    JWILL likes this.

I bought a cheap set from eBay, but still accurate to 0.1g - made a huge difference to my dosing! I also found out I was dosing far too much and now I'm wasting a lot less coffee and at least one variable is now constant.

I did a few test runs with how I used to dose and I was all over the place, which is no wonder why I felt like I was chasing my tail.

Now that my dose is consistent I'm getting much better results in the cup.

The Decent tamper and matched baskets look good - might have to compare this option to VST baskets and matched tamper.

Quote Originally Posted by dbun View Post
    I bought a cheap set from eBay, but still accurate to 0.1g - made a huge difference to my dosing! I also found out I was dosing far too much and now I'm wasting a lot less coffee and at least one variable is now constant.

I did a few test runs with how I used to dose and I was all over the place, which is no wonder why I felt like I was chasing my tail.

Now that my dose is consistent I'm getting much better results in the cup.
    Yep, that's all you need, I've been using a cheap Ebay set for years, certainly accurate enough for our purposes, well done.

Suggest you check out HQ Espresso Parts baskets, available here in OZ, excellent easy to use baskets at a reasonable price, there is a supplier in Melbourne, suggest you do a Google search.
    matth3wh and dbun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Suggest you check out HQ Espresso Parts baskets, available here in OZ, excellent easy to use baskets at a reasonable price, there is a supplier in Melbourne, suggest you do a Google search.
    Thanks for the tip!

Rbn
    Looks good, baskets are not cheaper than Decent Espresso.
    Lots of options out there.
    Don't know why I didn't think of a cheap set of scales from Ebay or Alibaba.