Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By simonsk8r

Thread: Grinder recommendations

Grinder recommendations

Hi all,

I have received a voucher from Coffee-a-Roma for a recent 40th birthday and am looking to purchase some new equipment. Ideally I would be purchasing a Silvia/Grinder bundle but the budget for now won't allow it so I am looking at the grinder first (seems to be the consensus opinion on what to buy first).

I have (again for budget purposes) narrowed the choices down to the Rancilio Rocky doserless, Kompak K3 and Macap M2M. Currently use a Moka stovetop and plunger for coffee and have recently inherited a Gaggia Baby (yet to be tested) with a view to getting a Rancilio Silvia or equivalent down the line. Out of the three grinders listed above what would be the best to go for. Cheers

Adam

I have had the Rocky before and liked it, but would consider the other two slightly higher on the pecking order. The Rocky is a stepped grinder (it can be modded to stepless) and makes fine tuning not as 'fine'.

The Rocky is a tank but I would still go for either of the other two if you can afford it now. Both get good reviews here and are very similar in terms of capability (from what I have read)

First up with the stovetop/plunger you won't probably notice a huge difference between the 3 but for fine tuning espresso the others have the Rocky beat.

Upgrading to Macap M2m or Compak K3.

Give this old thread a read as well.

I've got a Silvia paired with a M2M and it's a great combo.

Steps are small enough and so far I haven't found the fact that it is a stepped grinder to be an issue.
    If I feel like I'm landing between two steps it can easily be countered with slightly more or less dose in the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatEverBeansNecessary View Post
    I have had the Rocky before and liked it, but would consider the other two slightly higher on the pecking order. The Rocky is a stepped grinder (it can be modded to stepless) and makes fine tuning not as 'fine'.

The Rocky is a tank but I would still go for either of the other two if you can afford it now. Both get good reviews here and are very similar in terms of capability (from what I have read)

First up with the stovetop/plunger you won't probably notice a huge difference between the 3 but for fine tuning espresso the others have the Rocky beat.

Upgrading to Macap M2m or Compak K3.

Give this old thread a read as well.
    +1 to this.

G'day Adam! Yeah I had a Rocky (doaer version) for many years and it served me well, but yeah I would definitely choose out of the other two as being the better options. It was definitely great while I had it though, and found I could easily go from between espresso grind and plunger easily. The step increments seemed a bit large though for espresso, but yes it can be made stepless. And I don't think the hopper could be removed easily though as it had no gate, and had to be screwed out (unless it has been upgraded) so I could never really fill the hopper and empty it out.

I went up to a Compak K3 Touch and am loving it, easy to make slight adjustments and I actually love the timed dose feature. Either grinder you choose I reckon you'll be stoked with to be honest