Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 4 Post By Fibi

Thread: Em6910 No water via group head or hot water spout

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    4

    Question Em6910 No water via group head or hot water spout

    I've had my coffee machine in storage for a while and now when I've tried to use it, no water out. There is however steam out the steam spout, and the water pump makes it's normal sound when I press the "Manual" button, but no water comes through. There was initially 1-2 drops of water via the hot water spout, but nothing else came out.
    Any ideas of what the problem could be and how to fix it? Problem with the water pump? A blockage?
    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    Rbn
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southland NZ
    Posts
    371
    That is a surprise to me. I would have thought the steam thermoblock would have blocked long before the water thermoblock.

    However I would suspect that is the case, but could be wrong, it will take some diagnosis to check.
    Which means taking the top off, and the other parts that require to be taken off to gain access.

    Be careful in there, there is 240v, it can bite and hurt!
    Maybe worse.

    I would try pushing compressed air through the group head to see if it is clear.
    Then perhaps, I would take off the outlet from the pump and see if it is pumping when activated.

    Buyt maybe compressed air will "clear" a blockage.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Xanthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    S.A. - South Coast
    Posts
    134
    It may be because the brew pump is failing to prime because of stuck valves or air in the lines..
    First, fill the water tank to the top and try the pump a few times.
    If this fails to get water pumping you could pull the water reservoir out and try forcing water in to where it's spigot connects to the machine using a large syringe full of water and a suitable adaptor made of plastic tubing. From memory, the adaptor needs to be around 12mm diam. Black poly dripper pipe is around the right diameter and does not need to be a tight fit as there is a rubber seal in the connector.

    Hope this helps
    Trev

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    That is a surprise to me. I would have thought the steam thermoblock would have blocked long before the water thermoblock.

    However I would suspect that is the case, but could be wrong, it will take some diagnosis to check.
    Which means taking the top off, and the other parts that require to be taken off to gain access.

    Be careful in there, there is 240v, it can bite and hurt!
    Maybe worse.

    I would try pushing compressed air through the group head to see if it is clear.
    Then perhaps, I would take off the outlet from the pump and see if it is pumping when activated.

    Buyt maybe compressed air will "clear" a blockage.

    Thanks for that. I tried syringing water through the pipe, and managed to get some water out the hot water wand, but still nothing out the group head. I'll now try taking the top and front off as you suggest.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried just with a syringe with some minimal result, but now I'll look for some piping and try again. Where are the valves located? do I need to take the front part off to have a look at them?

  6. #6
    Rbn
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southland NZ
    Posts
    371
    And there is a post on here about lubricating the pump. Photos were included. It is a shutter type valve.
    In this case it was a faulty coil not a stuck valve. I posted on there, and pointed him in the right direction, but I forget the heading of the Thread.

  7. #7
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,602
    How long did you persevere with it? I had a similar experience with a machine a couple of weeks ago and it eventually started to pump water through. I assumed there was a small scale blockage so I was using descale solution rather than water. I worked on getting flow through the water wand first then the group then the steam wand. I would run the pump for half a minute then leave it for 5min or so in the hope that I bit of descale solution had worked it’s way in. I managed to gradually get everything working this way. At the start the steam pump wouldn’t even turn on, but eventually it all came right. Then I gave it a good clean - flushed about 6L of water through it, did a clean water backflush then a chemical backflush and all was back to normal.
    rawill likes this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    4
    Good news! After syringing water through the hole in the bottom I managed to get some flow through the water spout. I then left it a few days thinking that I'd have to take it all to bits, when this morning I decided to try again, and voilá! It started working. By the sound of it, and the way the pipes were half full with air/water, I think it was probably an airlock that had occurred due to not using it for 2 years and storing it not always upright. I subsequently did a full descale and clean, and it seems to be running ok now, though I haven't tried to make a coffee yet as I realised the brewer head seal was perished, so waiting on new one to arrive. Thanks for all the tips!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •