EM 6910 Thermoblock recovery
Bought this machine for $50.00, old one 2007.
It worked when I got it, with weak steam.
I cleaned it with the Sunbeam descale tablets, strong solution. Lots of "white stuff" came out.
And it ran for a while before blocking.
Removed the thermoblock, pushed compressed air through it, cleared it.
It worked but still weak, then reblocked.
What have others done to "recover" a "blocked" steam thermoblock.
Want to try a few things before I buy another thermoblock.
Time is not money for me, so time does not matter.
Some time ago I managed to effectively clear a totally blocked thermoblock by giving it a long 'hot soak' using undiluted vinegar.
I kept the thermoblock warm to hot by connecting a 24v transformer to the element terminals and pushing the vinegar into it every couple of hours using a syringe with thin plastic tubing attached.
I found the whole setup easier to manage with the thermoblock removed from the machine and laying horizontal.
The low voltage supply to the element kept it at a good temperature to greatly speed up the reaction between the internal scale and the vinegar - a steady stream of bubbles could be seen coming from the steam tubes. From memory, it took a day or two to fully clear it.
Many garden light transformers are 24v output (AC or DC does not matter) and can often be picked up very cheaply at op-shops or garage sales. The heating element only draws less than 0.5A at this voltage so you need to make sure that the transformer is rated to supply this current continuously. The element has a resistance of approx 50ohms when cold. A couple of clips need to be fitted to the leads so they can be securely attached to the thermoblock terminals - try not to let them touch and short circuit with the power on or the sparks will fly and you could burn out the transformer.
I will keep this in mind. For now I have it going again. However, I think I have not "completely cured" it. As it has blocked again.
I pumped 30% vinegar solution into if by removing the heating lead, after it had previously been warmed to operating temp.
After removing the lead and starting it up again, it pumped a little steam, then as it cooled it pumped the solution through.
Left it going until about 500mm went through. Left it sitting for about 30 minutes and started it up as normal, and flushed water through it.