Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skidquinn

Thread: Gaggia classic upgrade

Gaggia classic upgrade

Upgraditis has started to get worse and I'm still not sure what to do. The current setup has only just been completed earlier this year and does the job quite nicely especially matched to the Mazzer SJ. That said I feel tempted by HX offerings such as an ECM Giotto or other around the 1k mark second hand. Will I see that much of a difference for the cost of the upgrade (taking into account whatever I can get for the current setup). Minister of finance doesn't drink coffee but is always wary of upgrades, especially when I've only finished tinkering with the classic.

Current setup is a Gaggia classic with PID, brass dispersion plate and IMS screen, Silvia v3 wand

Anyone else made a similar jump?

Hi Mate - yes made a similar jump about 18 months ago. Although I started on a Rancilio Silvia. I didn't have a PID, which should give you much more temperature stability. This was the biggest issue I felt with the Silvia (I also own a Gaggia Classic at our holiday house). The biggest jump I've found comes down to time and repetitiveness. I can make a coffee on the Rocket in a minute or so. It used to take me much longer on the Silvia (or Gaggia).
    Also depends on what style of coffee you drink. I mostly drink milk coffee so the upgrade was well worth it in that regard - the steam on the Rocket is miles ahead of the Gaggia or Silvia. If you are only drinking espresso, it would be hard to justify an upgrade in my opinion..... well, other than the fact the Giotto looks bloody cool on my kitchen bench.
    Dimal likes this.

I'm mainly a milk coffee drinker as well so good steam was a major driver in adding the PID which did improve things immensely. But the timeliness aspect is definitely there. I find even with PID Steam control it allows you to get much better steam albeit with a time factor and a fair bit cool down time should you need to make more than one drink.

I'm convinced so far

I have a Silvia with PID and already I'm starting to look at what my next machine will be.
    Don't get me wrong - I love the setup and get great coffee, but every time I have to make multiple drinks it starts to get to me how seamless a dual boiler or HX would be to pump out multiple drinks.

The PID does make things better in that I can run a cooling flush after steaming milk to get the boiler temp back down quickly, let the machine come up to temp and hit the switch - no need to temperature surf or be so attentive to where the boiler is in the cycle etc.
    This does make the process much easier.

Rbn
    How much of a step up are these machines from an EM 6910/7000?

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    How much of a step up are these machines from an EM 6910/7000?
    Which machines? Do you mean the Classic and Silvia? If so I would argue that theyíre not really a step up, more a step across. The performance and usability of my current 6910 exceeds that of the Gaggia Classics Iíve had. A Classic is potentially a little bit more durable and as each part can be replaced it can virtually be rebuilt forever, but thatís really the only advantage. To step up from a 6910, Classic or Silvia you really need to at least be looking at a low end HX machine.

Agree with the comment above about a side step - the good thing with the EM range is you can steam and pull shots at the same time.