Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By latte_girl
  • 1 Post By TampIt
  • 1 Post By Xanthine

Thread: EM7000 nearly half price! And EM6910 problems

EM7000 nearly half price! And EM6910 problems

Looks like I have just missed out the great deal of this machine for $399 it's now back to $699
    Any idea how often these deals come up and how I can be notified of them please.
    I have the EM6910 it's 8 years old and been a great machine I replaced the steam pump under warranty and has been fine for years until now.
    All of a sudden the steam coming out is not strong and pulsates intermittently and takes ages to heat the milk it's making a screeching noise that happens when your not texturing the milk right but even just bringing the wand just to the surface of the milk doesn't stop this.
    I cant get that nice suction sound and the latte is watery.
    Thinking it may be time to replace with this EM 7000
    Hoping I can find a solution to this EM6910 to tide me over in the meantime.

90% fix: Use the vinegar solution (see manual) to clean out the steam wand. Poor technique will block it badly even after a couple of weeks - your technique is self evidently a lot better than that!

Too many other options unless that is a fail. If you are in WA, feel free to SMS me.

Rbn
    Like he said, this works most times, as well as the Sunbeam tablets, unless it has gone too far.
    I have a similar issue with a "spare" 6910" I bought, but mine has gone too far I think.

I gave it a good clean yesterday to see if If it would fix it.
    I used the Sunbeam tablets to clean then used vinigar solution to de scale but it didn't change.
    I didn't run any of this through the steam wand as I thought you not meant to do that.
    I've checked the end of the wand and I can see through the hole so it's not blocked at that area.
    Gratulin likes this.

They were on sale for $400 a couple of months ago. Just keep a lookout

Breville dual boiler on special at moment. Can get it super cheap from big lee. Paid 790 from good guys and got a 5 yr warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3 View Post
    They were on sale for $400 a couple of months ago. Just keep a lookout
    Yep that's what I saw I hope they come on this price again how I can get a notification? And is it the same place that discounts them ?

I just ran vinegar solution through wand it didn't make any difference
    Very slow to heat milk no swirling action and not much stretching happening

Rbn
    If you have never put vinegar through the steam system, it is likely to be partially blocked. As Tampit says 90% sure. Yes, I know it says not to do this in the "booklet".

Reason is probably because there is some not so nice stuff in the fumes that come off the tablets, but believe me, I have seen the gunk come out when you try to do it.

Sounds very typical of units that have not had vinegar or similar through them.

Sounds like your steam unit needs a few "tricks" applied to it to get it come back again.
    It probably needs the vinegar solution put through it some more, but as a liquid not a steam, and then leave it sit a while to see if it "eats the calc" off.

However this may not do it.

So, long story short, if you are not into this kind of work, or don't know anyone who is, a new steam thermoblocl, worth about $60-$70, plus fitting and you will be away again, and waiting for a good deal on a 7000, or 7100.

If you change brands, I would only say, try to make sure you get one with the 58mm basket, not 51mm.

But of course hard to be sure about this from a distance.

> Any idea how often these deals come up and how I can be notified of them please.

Check out a site called OzBargain, if you create an account there you can add an alert that will email you when someone posts a deal for a product you're interested in.

Yep ozbargain. I got mine at the same price from scoopon or one of those sites about 1.5 years ago. Also ebay (hope im not breaking site rules) have them at decent prices often.

As Rawill said - if it hadn't been done before it will have a good build up of gunk in the pipe. Journeyman's wand (in "my new machine" if I remember correctly) took over 20 minutes to clear. The longer it goes without cleaning, the worse it is.

BTW - two of the reasons I do not use "cleaning tablets" is a) they are way more expensive and less effective than vinegar (historically, perhaps nowadays they are better) and b) they tend to react with milk crud and taint the steaming system for weeks unless you then flush it out fully ... with white vinegar solution! I just cut out the expensive middle man.

Enjoy your cuppa, even if you don't think black is better (neither do I).

TampIt

re: Vinegar solution - do you fill the tank then add vinegar and run it through until empty? How much vinegar to add? My old 6910 is still fine and I let heaps of steam out after every time I use the wand but I just wanted to ask.

Rbn
    I have used 30% vinegar, 50% vinegar, and 100% vinegar! while trying to "clean out" my troublesome thermoblock.

Because I suspect yours has gone while with no flushing it needs the solution to go into a warmish thermoblock and sit there a while, so it can do some work.
    Unfortunately because it is a steamer, only a small amount of solution gets in there, and it does not sit.

One contributer has suggested taking the thermoblock out, and syringing warm solution in to it.
    There are also other methods to get the solution in, but apart from saying they are on here, and if I find a link I will post it, I do not want to recommend them even though I have used them. Because it involves warming up the machine, removing electrical connections to "trick" the machine, then restarting it, the steam stops and it starts pumping liquid solution through the machine.

Did you look at this thread:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...any-ideas.html

Quote Originally Posted by latte1978 View Post
    re: Vinegar solution - do you fill the tank then add vinegar and run it through until empty? How much vinegar to add? My old 6910 is still fine and I let heaps of steam out after every time I use the wand but I just wanted to ask.
    Just about every commercial machine ever made has the vinegar dilution. The Sunbeam Manual "Descaling" P32 also has the dilution - 3 tablespoons of vinegar per 1.5 litres of water (about 2/3 of the water tank). I use the same dilution for the steam wand (it is shown for the grouphead in the manual). The manual is on this site or the SB website if you do not have it. Invaluable to program the machine as well as clean and descale it.

My method if it is not too clogged (otherwise I abuse the "friend/fiend", pull the wand and plumbing out and use solvents) is to turn the machine on normally, wait until the idiot lights show its warm and then run the steam until I smell the vinegar coming through strongly with the steam. Turn the machine off and wait about 20 to 30 minutes. Then I turn the machine back on and run the steam for about 10 minutes. Then I use the rest of the mixture to do a normal group descale.

Refill the tank with fresh water (rainwater / filtered preferred, esp. in metro Perth!). Run the wand for around another10 minutes (until it doesn't smell of vinegar anymore). Then do another group descale cycle with the fresh water (I really hate taints in my coffee) while the wand cools down.

Then I do a taste & smell test - using a stainless steel travel mug & lid I collect enough steam for a couple of sips. If I still taste/smell the vinegar I run the wand for another few minutes. Ditto the group - do a single shot of water (no coffee) and compare it to the water in the tank. Any differences, do another "group descale cycle" using just water.

TampIt
    latte1978 likes this.

A couple of years ago I posted details for fitting a switched resistor across the steam thermistor to trick the thermoblock into running at a sub-100deg temperature. This enabled descaling solution to be pumped through it without it boiling and simplified the whole process.
    This setup has been in regular use since then and has not caused any problems and has also been successfully fitted to a couple of other 6910s.
    It requires some electronics soldering skills and knowledge and is 'fiddly' to install but has made the descaling process more convenient and safer.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Xanthine, I like your idea.
    i have not seen that post, or thread. Do you have a link.
    I would like to do this, I imagine a few wires, a resistor and an on/off switch.

Aha, found your thread. Great work. I see you and Tampit are "Brothers in arms" on this project!