• 4 Post By LeroyC
  • 3 Post By r8chael
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: URGENT Which machine to buy - budget approx $1500

URGENT Which machine to buy - budget approx $1500

Hi all, posting for my son...
    Machine will make approx 2 cups per day
    Needs to last...will be up north WA and the water has a lot of calcium in it
    Needs to be user friendly for a beginner brewer
    It needs to look good (I initially suggested the Silvia but he said it looks too industrial...ie not stylish enough..)
    IN A HURRY - moving up north shortly and wants to buy ASAP (in Perth).
    He has been to 3 shops today...said the service in Osborne Park was poor (not sure which one)
    He has pretty much been told that to get something decent, he will need to spend $3000....no can do

Yes, he knows he will need a grinder too...

Thank you

So what is his budget including grinder? Whatever he gets will need appropriate water filtration and treatment. What type of machines does he like the look of? Is he willing to look at second hand? What type of coffees will he make?
    r8chael likes this.

Budget is $1500 for espresso machine alone. Grinder will come later...next week maybe.
    Just spoke to him, likes the look of the Domobar junior ...that type of thing...he may have to settle for 2nd hand I said.
    Will be making espresso for him and latte for his fiance.

thanks

Sounds like water filtering will have to be high on the list too...
    We lived and worked up there for about six years many moons ago and where we were, HWS used to scale up in a matter of months, not years...

Mal.
    magnafunk and r8chael like this.

CIME 011. Don't know if there's anyone that stocks it in Perth. Anything (inc. that will last) will always have a learning curve for a beginner brewer (not insurmountable, just can't be helped), but like the machine the lessons learnt will hang around.
    There's also a "Expobar Minore III dual boiler espresso machine (SYD)" in the for sale section. With the PID and dual boiler it might be a bit more consistent and slightly easier to learn on than a HX like the 011.
    r8chael likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Sounds like water filtering will have to be high on the list too...
    We lived and worked up there for about six years many moons ago and where we were, HWS used to scale up in a matter of months, not years...

Mal.
    Seriously, up here you need to really look at your water situation. I'm in the Kimberley, our tds is 500ppm on a good day, when the rainwater tank ran dry we moved to bottled water. Will be investigating filtration when we get back from Xmas break but from what I've read, it looks like reverse osmosis is probably required
    Dimal and r8chael like this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8chael View Post
    Budget is $1500 for espresso machine alone. Grinder will come later...next week maybe.
    Just spoke to him, likes the look of the Domobar junior ...that type of thing...he may have to settle for 2nd hand I said.
    Will be making espresso for him and latte for his fiance.

thanks

I'm a bit confused here, looking at the Domobar Junior it looks quite industrial to me?

What about a second hand Gaggia Classic and with the remainder $1200 you could buy some quality beans and grinder?

Classic is super simple to use, very beginner friendly and when all the stars align it produces shots as good as any other far more expensive machine, just make sure to also upgrade the steam wand to the Silvia one as the standard is rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    Seriously, up here you need to really look at your water situation. I'm in the Kimberley, our tds is 500ppm on a good day, when the rainwater tank ran dry we moved to bottled water. Will be investigating filtration when we get back from Xmas break but from what I've read, it looks like reverse osmosis is probably required
    Ok, what if they use bottled water...considering low usage...any particular bottled water ok? ...what to avoid ?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsr20 View Post
    I'm a bit confused here, looking at the Domobar Junior it looks quite industrial to me?

What about a second hand Gaggia Classic and with the remainder $1200 you could buy some quality beans and grinder?

Classic is super simple to use, very beginner friendly and when all the stars align it produces shots as good as any other far more expensive machine, just make sure to also upgrade the steam wand to the Silvia one as the standard is rubbish.
    To him, the Domobar is stylish...I think so too...
    Dimal likes this.

Might be some handy information for you here "r8chael"...
    Using bottled water?

Mal.
    r8chael and zeezaw like this.

Appliances Online have the Bezzera BZ10 for $1793, nearly bought it through their Ebay shop for $1620 with Black Friday code....bargain.
    Ended up with a Breville BES920 dual boiler ($720) instead as I can easily descale it myself as it is fed filtered but hard Adelaide water.

Valvster
    r8chael likes this.

I would second the water situation. Look into a bench top filter unit from Bombora - site sponsor. They are around $100 and will solve a lot of your water problems, plus after a couple of months they will work out cheaper than buying bottled water.

The Domobar junior paired with a decent grinder will be a good setup and will stop you from upgrading almost immediately (which you might do with a Giaggia Classic IMHO). Having siad that for the price a Giaggia Classic is a bargain and will happily do 3-4 coffees a day without missing a beat but might struggle if you have a few friends around to make 4 coffees back to back.

Site Sponsor
    We have a couple of pre loved VBM Juniors (and others) that are just about to be loaded here.

Or if you go new, you can get a PID controlled, 58mm group single boiler with auto boiler refill, with or without grinder built in: Lelit Victoria, Lelit Kate.

charlie
    r8chael and CoffeeMan2 like this.

Hi R8, there is a Perth area Bezzera BZ10 just listed on the tree of gum that sounds like it might fit your requirements.

Regardless of what machine you choose your water quality is going to be an issue.

WA water, even in Perth is not coffee machine friendly.

We stock a few of the options that have been suggested,

The CIME 0011 https://www.casaespresso.com.au/cime-011.html

Which is a great buy for a heat exchange machine with an E61 group head.

The Bezzera BZ10, also very sturdy but maybe just above your pricing level.
    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/bezzera-bz10.html

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    noonar likes this.

Focus one getting a good water filtration system first. A bench top one might work or softener/filter under bench combo, but you’d probably want to know the water hardness first as this sort of system won’t be very useful if RO is needed.
    What about a Nuova Simonelli Oscar II for the machine? Looks nothing like a VBM, but nothing like a Silvia either and is around the right price to might fit the bill.

Yes Oscar II is another good option. We recently sold and delivered one to a WA customer.

https://www.casaespresso.com.au/nuov...-oscar-ii.html

Its certainly a different look from the VBM and the Sylvia.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Ok this is what he bought...demo model Vibiemme domobar super HX...and a 2nd hand mazzer mini manual for $450.

Thanks for your help guys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dimal, noonar and level3ninja like this.

Great combo...

I'm sure he's going to love the coffee it produces, especially once he develops his technique and uses great coffee to match...

Mal.
    r8chael likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8chael View Post
    Ok this is what he bought...demo model Vibiemme domobar super HX...and a 2nd hand mazzer mini manual for $450.

Thanks for your help guys
    Congratulations on your new setup r8chael, both excellent machines, keep us informed as to his progress with them.
    r8chael likes this.