Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KillerQ

Thread: Need advice - about to pull the trigger on a used Rancilio Silvia.....

Need advice - about to pull the trigger on a used Rancilio Silvia.....

Hey, All,

The Starbucks Barista (Saeco) machine that I've had for over 10 years has finally but the dust....

Not having much of a budget to work with in the bear future, I figured it would be forever until I was able to get a decent machine like the Barista again....

As luck would have it, Rancilio Silvia has recently popped up. locally, and the person is asking $180. He says he's the original owner, did you routine maintenance for the first year and since has since run white vinegar through it every month or so. He also said that he replaced the screen and seal about 50 shots ago.

This is clearly an actual upgrade from my Barista machine, and I don't see these around locally often.... So, is the 180 a decent deal if everything is on the up-and-up?

The one question i do have is, how can you tell which version of the Silvia this is? I understand there have been 3 or 4 different versions with some differences between them. Is there some way I can have him check something to identify which exact version he has?

I've attached a link to some pics, including the product info sticker from the machine...

Thanks a ton in advance,

Matt!

http://imgur.com/a/fetK8
    sprezzatura likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerQ View Post
    Hey, All,

The Starbucks Barista (Saeco) machine that I've had for over 10 years has finally but the dust....

Not having much of a budget to work with in the bear future, I figured it would be forever until I was able to get a decent machine like the Barista again....

As luck would have it, Rancilio Silvia has recently popped up. locally, and the person is asking $180. He says he's the original owner, did you routine maintenance for the first year and since has since run white vinegar through it every month or so. He also said that he replaced the screen and seal about 50 shots ago.

This is clearly an actual upgrade from my Barista machine, and I don't see these around locally often.... So, is the 180 a decent deal if everything is on the up-and-up?

The one question i do have is, how can you tell which version of the Silvia this is? I understand there have been 3 or 4 different versions with some differences between them. Is there some way I can have him check something to identify which exact version he has?

I've attached a link to some pics, including the product info sticker from the machine...

Thanks a ton in advance,

Matt!

http://imgur.com/a/fetK8
    Thatís a good deal. Looks like itís a 2007 and itís a U.S. machine (120VAC 60Hz).

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    That’s a good deal. Looks like it’s a 2007 and it’s a U.S. machine (120VAC 60Hz).
    yeah, be careful about this if you weren't already aware.

I feel it's safe to assume that given the previous machine is a Starbucks Barista and the Silvia is local they might be in the US. Looks to be in very good condition on the outside at least. Things like chassis rust and boiler condition mght be potential concerns. Price sounds fair but I don't know the US market for used coffee machines.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I feel it's safe to assume that given the previous machine is a Starbucks Barista and the Silvia is local they might be in the US. Looks to be in very good condition on the outside at least. Things like chassis rust and boiler condition mght be potential concerns. Price sounds fair but I don't know the US market for used coffee machines.

Thanks for the feedback, yea all US stuff here, so that's not an issue...