Thread: Assistance Required

Assistance Required

I've a Breville BES 870 & it's decided to start leaking steam from the shower head (vast amounts) while using the wand.
    The appliance is only a few months old, this is the 2nd one of these I've had.
    The 1st machine lasted years & did on average 2.5KGs per week at my home for a number of years.
    I'm not impressed that it is doing this & was wondering if anyone could give me a pointer on what is going on here...Clearly the device must be returned but still curious.

The three way solenoid valve is not closing properly thus allowing steam to get to the group head.

This usually happens if flakes of scale are dislodged from the thermocoil and become stuck on the sealing surface of the solenoid plunger and not allowing it to seal.

Being that yours is so new, I doubt this would be the case. The solenoid is just faulty.

Just did a mad smash through of vinegar n water a few times, ran the steam wand on n off getting it to pump water through itself intermittently & when I ran the machine again to flush it, it hasn't done it since...I'd say you're right...It would have been scale...That said my pump doesn't appear to be happy at all...Sounds like it isn't running at 100%

Was it an ex demo or refurbished model? To have a scale problem like this on a brand new machine after a few months seems unusual, unless your water is very hard.

I always suggest for people to use good quality filtered water in these machines for this reason. Sometimes, the scale can be so severe that it will continually flake off and cause problems in the future. I've had to replace thermocoils a few times because of this.

@IkinHahm did your descaling work over the past month?
    I have had some scale issues with my 860 and despite many vinegar runs I havenít been able to get consistency from my machine- (the pump doesnít cut out after a shot or two of coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by Camrok View Post
    @IkinHahm did your descaling work over the past month?
    I have had some scale issues with my 860 and despite many vinegar runs I havenít been able to get consistency from my machine- (the pump doesnít cut out after a shot or two of coffee)
    Try reprogramming the shot volumes and see if that fixes it.

If not, it's probable that the flowmeter is faulty. This is the component that measures the water flow through the machine to tell the circuit board when to stop.
    It's located directly after the water tank hose into the machine, a small white round component with a 3 pin connector on it. Sometimes the little wheel inside binds up and doesn't spin, or there is a small blockage in the inlet or outlet that doesn't allow it to rotate properly.
    The top of the flowmeter can be removed with a quarter turn anitclockwise, exposing the wheel inside. Give it a good clean and check that the inlet and outlet are clear.
    By gently blowing into the inlet the wheel should spin easily.

If it still doesn't work after this, it would need to be replaced. If it still doesn't work with a new flowmeter, the circuit board is faulty. This would be unlikely though, I've never seen one fail in this way.

Awesome. Thank you. Iíll let you know how it goes.