Thread: EM 7000 steam wand

Rbn

EM 7000 steam wand

Just wondering.

Is there any advantage to changing the stream wand on to 7000 back to the style of the 6910.
    Seems to me the 6910 has stronger steam, I wondered if that might be because there is so much stuff, inside the steam wand on the 7000.

Having said that, I cant see how to unscrew the steam nozzle/tip on the 7000.
    Any tips most welcome.

Robin

Can't be done, completely different wands with different mounting configurations.

I shouldn't really say "can't be done" as I've never tried but they're so vastly different that I can't envisage it being achievable. The EM7000 wand is better than the standard 6910 wand anyway, unless you wanted to install an EM4820 steam tip.

The very end of the steam tip unscrews. If it doesn't come off by hand, a light twist with pliers should break it loose. It only needs to be reinstalled finger tight.

Check the drain inlet to the drip tray when steaming and see if there is a steady drip of water there, this indicates a faulty relief valve on the steam pump, a relatively common issue. This is a large factor of weak steam.

Rbn
    Yes, the 4820 tip works a treat on the 6910, many thanks to Cser for letting me in on that!

Yes, when I bought this machine, it was supposed to be going, however 2 solonoids later, and it was going, but not great on steam.
    A descale with vinegar and it back to about where it should be I guess.

Thank you for the tip on the faulty relief valve, I will check that.

I am not sure they improved the machine over the 6910, except to make it quieter.
    The steam temp gauge seems to be all over the place, the local repairer said it was a "toy".

I've compared several of the steam temperature gauges on various EM7000's to the temperature reading from my Fluke multimeter and have always found them to be reasonably accurate, usually within 2-3C.
    The initial movement of the gauge is inaccurate but once it reaches 50-55C up to 65C, the accuracy improves.

What were the symptoms on your machine that you needed to change the solenoid? The brew pressure relief solenoid or the hot water solenoid?
    Neither of these have any involvement with the steam system.

Rbn
    Symptoms, initially no steam, no water through the group head, but when the hot water wand was operated water came out the overflow into the drip tray, actually gushed out.

Yes I use a calibrated thermometer, calibrated with my infra red gun and Type K meter, not Fluke.

The thermometer I use is in the red zone before usually the 7000 temp guage gets to the first colour bar.

Because I had just bought it as a "good unit" I took it to the repair agents so I could discuss with the purchaser.
    i did not want to look inside myself.

The repairer, Sunbeam agent repairer, rang Sunbeam and the said it would be a solenoid valve.