Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: La Pavoni pre-millenium basket interference fit

La Pavoni pre-millenium basket interference fit

Hi all -

I've bought a retrofit portafilter for my La Pavoni (pre-millenium, 49mm) from overseas. Its the one with the optional bottomlessness from China. (I am being coy about the source in courtesy to the sponsors). It fits really well, but didn't come with a basket so I bought one online advertised as a basket for the La Pavoni 'old group'. It fits in the portafilter handle, but then things start to go wrong.

It doesn't quite fit over the shower screen - it begins interfering at the edge of the curl, and as a result the lugs won't engage. I checked the outer diameter of the shower screen and I still reckon its 49mm. The inner diameter of the basket is hard to measure without calipers. It really looks like 50mm, but I think its an optical illusion. Do I have to send it back? What do I buy instead - this is supposed to be the thing I need.

Has anyone seen this before and can it be fixed? Is there some common rookie mistake I've made in measuring all this up?

Hi atcrank,

Some photos would help.

We import and distribute La Pavoni in Australia and from experience you really need to know what you are buying to be sure it will fit.

I will give you an example. The current Pavonis have a 51mm basket. We went through many samples before we settled on an ideal tamper we wanted to supply. We ended up with the Motta 52 mm (!) tamper that we now special order from Italy.

A 52mm tamper in a 51mm basket, don't ask me how but it works.

If you are in Melbourne feel free to come in and i can have a look at it for you.

We also have one set of the IMS 49mm baskets and screen available as well which might be an option for you.
    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/spar...precision.html

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    JMcCee likes this.

Hi Antony,
    Thank you - I will try to get to you tomorrow. I'll bring the machine and portafilter handle. The machine is actually the 'professional' and measured with calipers the shower screen was 50mm.

La Pavoni pre-millenium basket interference fit

Excellent . Perhaps Call first in the morning if you can. We are in and out a bit this week , pretending we are on holidays but not really.

Antony
    (03) 9530 8992
    coffeechris likes this.