Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 4 Post By Xanthine
  • 2 Post By Jessicastorm1987
  • 2 Post By alexm1

Thread: How do I make my own spacer for EM6910

How do I make my own spacer for EM6910

Hi everyone,
    im new to all of this, I hope I am doing it right.
    i have a Sunbeam EM6910 that Iíve had for 13 months.
    use it daily to do between 2-4 shots. Last month it started to leaks around the group handle. After reading a bunch on here I decided to try replacing the seal first.
    i did that and it actually made it worse.
    so I read a little more and noticed that users recommended I make a cardboard ring to fit between the group handle and seal.
    i would love to try this but as I am an espresso machine novice I have no idea where to actually place my makeshift spacer!! Anyone able to help me out either with detail description or images??
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicastorm1987 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    im new to all of this, I hope I am doing it right.
    i have a Sunbeam EM6910 that Iíve had for 13 months.
    use it daily to do between 2-4 shots. Last month it started to leaks around the group handle. After reading a bunch on here I decided to try replacing the seal first.
    i did that and it actually made it worse.
    so I read a little more and noticed that users recommended I make a cardboard ring to fit between the group handle and seal.
    i would love to try this but as I am an espresso machine novice I have no idea where to actually place my makeshift spacer!! Anyone able to help me out either with detail description or images??
    TIA

Check this thread.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...am-em6910.html
    zeezaw likes this.

Some more photos which may help -

DSCF5661.jpg

I used cardboard from a biscuit box or cereal box.
    It is important to cut it neatly & accurately. Use a drawing compass to mark it out and a sharp blade or, at a pinch, nail scissors to cut.
    It pays to cut several as more than one may be needed. Also, if the collar is un-evenly worn, a half spacer can be used on the leaking side.
    Seals can also be cut from the lid of an ice cream tub but do not seem to work as well, especially if the seat in the group head is pitted (the blue one in the photo above)

DSCF5660.jpg

These dimensions seem to work well.

DSCF5663.jpg

This shows the spacer in place in the seal groove of a spare assembly (easier to photograph!)
    Below it are the other parts in order of replacement - seal, 2 shower screens & screw.
    Replacing all of the bits can be awkward with the machine the right way up but if you invert it to do the job you need to remove the water reservoir, top plate and tray components first.

With 1 spacer in, the handle should lock in close to 6 o'clock. If not, ad more spacers.

If water still leaks from one side fit a half spacer to that side with the other spacers.

If the group handle does not drop into place and turn easily it could mean the the collar is badly worn and may need replacing.

Excessive force should not be needed to get a good seal - it should not be necessary to hold the machine down while tightening the handle as this only causes more collar wear.

Hope this helps.
    Trev
    rawill, Yelta, LeroyC and 1 others like this.

The other thing to use is the type of box orange juice and UHT milk comes in. Being coated is stands up a bit longer.

Thank you Xanthine & Chris so much! 2 homemade seals later and it’s all fixed up!!
    Magic_Matt and rawill like this.

Thank you Xanthine & Chris so much! 2 homemade seals later and itís all fixed up!!
    Well done JS, good outcome.

Mine is hosing out too. But it seeme to have that yellow gorilla adhesive stuck to the machine. Perhaps put there by previous owner. Anyway im in the process of dismantling it and cleaning it.

2 homemade seals later and it’s all fixed up!!
    Good to hear!

I used card board and when I came back it was completely disintegrated and a bugger to clean out. I'd definitely use plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post
    I used card board and when I came back it was completely disintegrated and a bugger to clean out. I'd definitely use plastic.
    Surprised to hear you had problems . Would be interested to hear more details - ie how long did it last, what cardboard did you use, how many layers etc?

On the machines I've done the spacers have proved to be quite durable.

Trev

I imagine the ideal material to cut spacers from would be Auto gasket material of the appropriate thickness.

I'd take care using plastic, if you reckon the cardboard was difficult to clean out think about melted plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    I imagine the ideal material to cut spacers from would be Auto gasket material of the appropriate thickness.
    I found a thermostat gasket that had the right size hole, just had to trim the edges, added a couple of years life before I finally replaced the collar.
    rawill and Yelta like this.

I've cut up a silicone baking tray to make a gasket for a la pavoni pro with reasonable success. I imagine it would suit this application well, heat resistant and food grade too

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
    Surprised to hear you had problems . Would be interested to hear more details - ie how long did it last, what cardboard did you use, how many layers etc?

On the machines I've done the spacers have proved to be quite durable.

Trev
    I think it was glossy cardboard. I left it too long obviously, a couple of years.

I think it was glossy cardboard. I left it too long obviously, a couple of years.
    G'day redrich2000

I'm with Trev (Xanthine) on this one. If the cardboard failed I can only think of two possibilities:-

1) The cardboard was "puffed up" and then compressed and leaked.

2) There is a leak somewhere else in the system that is reaching up into the group (that includes flushing it out with the P/f loosely in place).

My 2010 6910 had a plain cardboard spacer installed by the factory and was still in the machine about three years ago when I sold it on. The spacer still looked new.

TampIt

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day redrich2000

I'm with Trev (Xanthine) on this one. If the cardboard failed I can only think of two possibilities:-

1) The cardboard was "puffed up" and then compressed and leaked.

2) There is a leak somewhere else in the system that is reaching up into the group (that includes flushing it out with the P/f loosely in place).

My 2010 6910 had a plain cardboard spacer installed by the factory and was still in the machine about three years ago when I sold it on. The spacer still looked new.

TampIt
    That's definitely a possibility, I had leaking intermittently around the group head with the machine. I replaced the seal and cleaned out the gunk before Xmas, the cardboard was completely reduced to mush.

If I was doing it again I think I'd still probably prefer rubber (didn't think about the possibility of plastic melting). Even if there's not meant to be water in there it's definitely not uncommon that these machines leak.