Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mwcalder05

Thread: Can you calibrate water output without coffee?

Can you calibrate water output without coffee?

This is possibly a very obvious question. I have a new EM7000 and want to calibrate the 1 and 2 cup buttons so they're pushing 30 and 60ml. I can do that with just the empty portafilter right or does more water flow when there's no coffee?

Hey Mate,
    You'd want to set those buttons while actually pulling a shot when it's close to being dialled in. This because the coffee puck slows down the rate of flow and because the coffee in the filter soaks up some of the water as well.

Michael.
    bosco and Dimal like this.

i know with the la marzocco gs3, the manual doesnt say to do it whilst pulling a shot, rather just push the button, and when the amount of water you want is reached, push the button again and its programed.

What i found however, was doing it that way, the results were all over the place when actually pulling a shot.
    So i re programmed it again whilst pulling a shot, after i knew i had dialed the grinder in correctly, and now the results are consistent.

Programming

1 Cup VolumePREPARE the 1 cup filter with coffee andtamp.PLACE a cup under the espresso pour spouts.PRESS the PROGRAM button.PRESS the 1 CUP button to start theespresso pour. Press the 1 CUP button againonce the desired volume of espresso hasbeen extracted.The espresso machine will beep twice toindicate the new program for the 1 CUPoperation has been set.

2 Cup VolumePREPARE the 2 cup filter with coffee andtamp.PLACE 2 cups under the espresso pourspouts.PRESS the PROGRAM button.PRESS the 2 CUP button to start theespresso pour. Press the 2 CUP button againonce the desired volume of espresso hasbeen extracted.The espresso machine will beep twiceto indicate the new program for 2 CUPoperation has been set.