Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Retolein
  • 1 Post By dbun

Thread: Rancilio Rust Steamwand

Rancilio Rust Steamwand

Hey there!

I bought a Rancilio Silvia like a month ago and since then I am trying every weekend to get proper coffee (but this is discussed in a separate thread ).
    However, last weekend I tried making foamed milk with the steam wand.
    The first step I always carry out when I turn the machine on, is extracting about 350ml of water through the steam wand (not steaming, just hot water) and a bit of water through the group head- just to exchange the water in the boiler.
    The first thing I noticed, when pulling water from the steam wand is that the water is splashing around, because there is no steady stream- I suspect that this is related to air in the hoses/tubes..?

Another, more serious thing:
    In the evening after cleaning the machine, as I always do, I unscrewed the tip of the steam wand- I noticed a lot of rust there. Shouldn't this be stainless steel??
    Please see the photo below.

I already notified Caffe Italia, not only to tell them about this issue but also about the issue, that I share with several other users: The plastic smell of the machine...
    But they didn't answer so far...

Should I exchange the steam wand? I would prefer not to do that :/

Thanks!

Did you buy the machine new, which country are you posting from?

That’s fine. It’s not going to harm the machine. Give it a good clean. Mine never had a really steady stream of water either. Important thing the coffee tastes good!
    not sure why you are pushing that much water through the wand. At all. I’d let it warm up for 20 minutes so pressure equalises and builds up, and put some water through the group head to increase temp all through it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Retolein View Post
    I already notified Caffe Italia, not only to tell them about this issue but also about the issue, that I share with several other users: The plastic smell of the machine...
    But they didn't answer so far...
    No more needs be said...

Mal.
    noidle22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Did you buy the machine new, which country are you posting from?
    Yep, completely new from Caffe Italia (which was in hindsight a bad idea, I guess...).
    Posting from Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by whykickamoocow View Post
    That’s fine. It’s not going to harm the machine. Give it a good clean. Mine never had a really steady stream of water either. Important thing the coffee tastes good!
    not sure why you are pushing that much water through the wand. At all. I’d let it warm up for 20 minutes so pressure equalises and builds up, and put some water through the group head to increase temp all through it instead.
    Ahh, thanks! I did this, because I watched a video about priming the boiler and my takeaway was, that it's good to exchange all the water in the boiler, if you didn't turn on the machine for a few days (which I do, because I am gone throughout the week for work).

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    No more needs be said...

Mal.
    You mean that was a bad idea to buy from there, right...?

Quote Originally Posted by Retolein View Post
    You mean that was a bad idea to buy from there, right...?
    Unfortunately, Caffe Italia have a bad name when it comes to supporting the products they sell.
    A bit of a search around the boards here would have revealed their somewhat chequered reputation.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by whykickamoocow View Post

Thanks! That reliefs me a little bit. I was actually shocked when I saw the thread and its rusty look...

Unfortunately, Caffe Italia have a bad name when it comes to supporting the products they sell.
    A bit of a search around the boards here would have revealed their somewhat chequered reputation.

Mal.

Yes, I should have checked. Now it's too late unfortunately

Your setup is pretty bullet-proof though mate and there are lots of CSers with pretty well identical setups who are a great resource when assistance is needed.

Enjoy the coffee...

Mal.
    Retolein likes this.

Your setup is pretty bullet-proof though mate and there are lots of CSers with pretty well identical setups who are a great resource when assistance is needed.

Enjoy the coffee...

Mal.
    Thanks man, much appreciated
    Dimal likes this.

Can second that there is no need for concern.
    All sounds and looks normal.

I had a Silvia too and only just upgraded.
    They are a fantastic machine!
    Retolein likes this.