Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: Rancilio Silvia thermostat issues - keeps heating up!

Question Rancilio Silvia thermostat issues - keeps heating up!

Hi coffee fanatics
    Long time lurker, first time poster
    I have a tough one for all of you expert Rancilio Silvia troubleshooters. Help me out, please!
    Here's what happened:
    I wake up one morning and my Rancilio Silvia wouldn't heat up - light stayed on, no heat. I Google my issue and understand that the main thermostat's fuse went off. I also remember that I used my machine to make tea the evening before and didn't get water to run through the brew head, so this explains that.
    I reset the fuse, make coffee.
    Then I notice that the light doesn't go off like it used to. It just stays on, and heats up and heats up and heats up. I turn on the main group to see if the water's hot - hyper-hot steam blows out of the brew head. So I turn the machine off, fearing that I might burn my boiler.
    I'm off to Google again. After reading a few posts on here, I understand that my brew and steam thermostats might be dead. So I order new ones. Install them. Test. Result?
    Same thing. Heats up and heats up and heats up. Crazy steam blows out of the brew head.
    Tell me, troubleshooting geeks. What do I do now?

If it can help, I'd like to add that I hear a click when the water heats up that sounds, to me, like a thermostat going off, but the machine keeps heating. I'm not 100% convinced of that, though.

Jackster likes this.

Could it be something as simple as having left the steam switch on?

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Could it be something as simple as having left the steam switch on?
    Hahahahah I'm not that dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Thanks, I read both, but since it was working fine before I tripped the boiler fuse the first time around, I don't see how either can apply to me...

Quote Originally Posted by DenisGuy View Post
    If it can help, I'd like to add that I hear a click when the water heats up that sounds, to me, like a thermostat going off, but the machine keeps heating. I'm not 100% convinced of that, though.
    Hi, I tried to reply but apparently my reply disappeared...
    ...I was saying that I did read these, and that I doubt that it could be useful to me because it was working perfectly before I had to reset the thermal fuse. Do you have any idea of what could be going on? Thank you

Hahahahah I'm not that dumb.
    Not suggesting you are, just trying to be helpful.

How about this....
    Your thermal fuse blew because it overheated. So you had a issue just before the thermal fuse blew and replacing tje thermal fuse has not resolved the initial overheating.

So the silvia is a single boiler (i think but not expert). So the part that turns the element off is the thermostat. Unplug them both and reconnect one then the other. Try using just the brew thermostat.

One of the thermostats sound to be stuffed. Probably the brew thermostat.

Do they have dual elements? I dont think so.
    Maybe the steam switch is stuffed, but if the thermal blew id say its getting even hotter than that.

So im sticking with brew thermostat...

HELP! Rancilio Silvia overheating issue

This link you first read has pretty important info. Your machine may be very dangerous and live if the element has a new ground path.
    Make sure its plugged into a tested rcd outlet. NOW! Or before you next turn it on..
    CafeLotta likes this.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...eshooting.html

As above. The last post is very important too

Nice job caffe lotta
    CafeLotta likes this.

Is it still overheating to the point of tripping the thermal cutout or does the light eventually turn off and the machine still function, albeit too hot?

It's possible that you indeed had a thermostat fault and upon installing the new thermostats, have accidentally installed two steam thermostats. Maybe whoever you bought the thermostats off accidentally sent two steam thermostats.
    If you look at the writing on the side of them, it should indicate their temperature cutoff.
    Yelta likes this.

Thanks, I read both, but since it was working fine before I tripped the boiler fuse the first time around, I don't see how either can apply to me...
    When I bought my Silvia 2nd hand it heated up to brew temp fine but would trip the RCD/Safety Switch after about 20 secs with the steam switch on. Apparently the Silvia boilers with the welded in elements were prone to fractures/micro fractures near where the element joins the boiler shell if the boiler wasn't kept primed. The fractures exposed the live internal element part to water in the boiler making the boiler and adjoining metal parts live. The extra temperature heating up to steam was probably either opening up the micro fractures or raising the water level to reach them or both. Regardless, replacing the boiler/element fixed my specific problem.

In your case, overheating (maybe repeated over time) on a not fully primed boiler may have damaged the element before the 165 deg safety thermostat tripped. Water level plays a part here. When you reset it after replacing the brew and steam thermostats, the possibly already damaged element may have been shorting creating the scenario in the links I provided.

Be aware that if you don't have the machine plugged in to an RCD/Safety Switch protected circuit you may electrocute yourself if you're not sure what you're doing.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 11th February 2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    When I bought my Silvia 2nd hand it heated up to brew temp fine but would trip the RCD/Safety Switch after about 20 secs with the steam switch on. Apparently the Silvia boilers with the welded in elements were prone to fractures/micro fractures near where the element joins the boiler shell if the boiler wasn't kept primed. The fractures exposed the live internal element part to water in the boiler making the boiler and adjoining metal parts live. The extra temperature heating up to steam was probably either opening up the micro fractures or raising the water level to reach them or both. Regardless, replacing the boiler/element fixed my specific problem.

In your case, overheating (maybe repeated over time) on a not fully primed boiler may have damaged the element before the 165 deg safety thermostat tripped. When you reset it after replacing the brew and steam thermostats, the possibly already damaged element may have been shorting creating the scenario in the links I provided.

Be aware that if you don't have the machine plugged in to an RCD/Safety Switch protected circuit you may electrocute yourself if you're not sure what you're doing.
    Thanks for this. My machine is a V3 which means that the heating element isn't welded in the boiler. I've ordered a new heating element. I'll post again when I have an update.

My machine is a V3 which means that the heating element isn't welded in the boiler.
    Mine is a V3 and has the welded element. I think the V4 went back to a screwed element which is the same as the V5, using a Stainless Steel tube element outer shell.

The V3 element copper tube outer shells were prone to becoming brittle due to excessive heat. Incorrect priming procedures when steaming which exposed the upper portion of the element to air for prolonged periods at high temperatures was the main problem. Priming the boiler at power-on and especially straight after steaming as well as not leaving the steam switch on any longer than required all helps avoid this issue. I was also told that over-use of descaler can cause the copper to become brittle. I don't know if the Stainless Steel outer shell elements had similar vulnerabilities.

PS By the way did you use thermal paste between the new thermostats and boiler shell when you replaced the thermostats?

For your reference:
    http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/Si...lviaWorks.html
    http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/silviawire.html
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 11th February 2018 at 01:28 PM.

Hope a element fixes it and its back to making coffee shortly.
    Last edited by Jackster; 11th February 2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: I need not be so critical

What was the final outcome? Did you end up resolving your issue?