Thread: Using a Plug Timer with a Silvia

Using a Plug Timer with a Silvia

Hey There

First time poster - just picked up a 2015 Silvia today, and very excited! First time foray into the world of real espresso, so please be gentle!

I want to give Silvia enough time to heat up in the mornings before work; but with kids, work, life etc, I'm quite time-poor so anything I can do to hack the warm-up procedure will be greatly appreciated!

I have a timer that I can time for 15 mins or so before I wake up so that the machine is warming up nicely when I get to her, but I've seen posts/videos that suggest flushing water through the steam wand on start-up to ensure the boiler is filled sufficiently that he element doesn't burn out.

What is the general consensus on this please??

Many thanks in advance

Rich.

Hi and welcome.

Yes not really recommended. If your boiler isnt primed you run the risk of burning out element.

This is what I did to get my old single boiler up to temp quickly. Turn on machine, prime boiler, turn on steam, once steam up to temp, turn off steam, purge water through wand until hissing stops, run water through group. Grind, tamp, pour.

The higher temp of the steam gets things nice and hot quickly. The silvia has an offset group so it may take a bit longer running water through the group but give it a go, you will be surprised how quick it is.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip!

I’ll give that a try and avoid the timer.

It it does seem to warm up pretty quickly with a good flush. To be honest warning the machine up is the least of my coffee issues at present!

thanks again!

So I just used a belkin wemo timer on my Silvia for several years and it worked a treat. Because the Wemo connects to your wifi network, you can program it however you see fit and even turn it on and off while your not home.

Thumbs up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by spin_addict View Post
    So I just used a belkin wemo timer on my Silvia for several years and it worked a treat.
    So do you prime the boiler before you switch it off so that it won't burn out on the timer?

Thanks

Why cant we rig up a auto fill that triggers when machine is turned off?

Way above my level of expertise!! ��

If you are vigilant and prime boiler after use/steaming and before turning off, and your tap isnt leaking the risk is minimal.

But my post above would have it at brewing temp in 5 minutes at a guess, 10 max? Give it a go and see.

Some of the new single boiler machines have auto priming, obviously they have some sort of controller (silvia has none, just switches and thermostats).

Cheers

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RichHopwood View Post
    So do you prime the boiler before you switch it off so that it won't burn out on the timer?

Thanks
    Yep Id always switch back from steam to brew mode. Never an issue...even had a leaky steam wand for a while but it was never enough to drain the boiler significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Why cant we rig up a auto fill that triggers when machine is turned off?
    Now i have googled the boiler filling process, i see this is not really possible..