Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 1 Post By pcrussell50

Thread: New machine

New machine

My La Pavoni EBR broke and am looking to replace. I'm in NZ so we don't have the variety of brands available in OZ so options (in $NZ = about $0.8AU) are the Silvia $950, Gaggia Classic about $750 and lelit ($1200?). There may be others I just don't recognise, but from these seems to suddenly get VERY expensive.

I'm a 1-2 coffees a day person, as i'm from Wellington, generally a flat white. My partner drinks the occasional macchiato at the weekends.

I was pretty happy with the Pavoni and think these machines i've listed are probably the equivalent. My understanding from youtube is that the PID is on the lelit but not the other two? I've heard that Gaggia is not well supported in NZ. I really want to stay under $1,000 unless there's a good reason to go up another couple hundy - but anymore not really worth it for 1 coffee a day.

I'm really anti the consumer machines like Breville (ha, autocorrected to revile) as I'm sick of rubbish that will be in landfill in a couple years. I'm open to used - but just don't seem to be many.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by bronny View Post
    My La Pavoni EBR broke and am looking to replace. I'm in NZ so we don't have the variety of brands available in OZ so options (in $NZ = about $0.8AU) are the Silvia $950, Gaggia Classic about $750 and lelit ($1200?). There may be others I just don't recognise, but from these seems to suddenly get VERY expensive.

I'm a 1-2 coffees a day person, as i'm from Wellington, generally a flat white. My partner drinks the occasional macchiato at the weekends.

I was pretty happy with the Pavoni and think these machines i've listed are probably the equivalent. My understanding from youtube is that the PID is on the lelit but not the other two? I've heard that Gaggia is not well supported in NZ. I really want to stay under $1,000 unless there's a good reason to go up another couple hundy - but anymore not really worth it for 1 coffee a day.

I'm really anti the consumer machines like Breville (ha, autocorrected to revile) as I'm sick of rubbish that will be in landfill in a couple years. I'm open to used - but just don't seem to be many.

TIA
    Thereís a Nuova Simonelli Musica on Trade Me at the moment thatís worth a look. 2nd hand but serviced and ready to go and it might stay under $1000. Itís in NP, but the seller is prepared to ship if youíre not keen on a big drive.

And youíre right, the market is smaller here and a lot tighter. 2nd hand stuff does seem to fetch a premium on Trade Me, but thereís good deals out there if you know where to look. Iím happy to help with recommendations for new or used machines if you want to send me a PM.
    zeezaw likes this.

Fix the pavoni. Whats wrong with it?

The legit comes with and without the pid. Both good machines and about $woo less without the pid. Also comes with a grinder combo it you need it. Nice little package.

The pid on a machine like this is not relevant IMOP. It’s not worth the extra

Site Sponsor
    The PID will make the brew temperature more stable and give you control if you want to experiment with brew temperature. I'm not sure about the NZ models but over here the PID also controls the steam mode so you get stronger, more consistent steam. It's not a must have, but definitely a nice to have.

charlie
    Dimal likes this.

I'm really anti the consumer machines like Breville (ha, autocorrected to revile) as I'm sick of rubbish that will be in landfill in a couple years.
    TIA
    Just had a read of the new Choice tests, two of the Brevilles lead, some of the machines you mention are in the list, but not where you might want them to be. In fairness, Choice does not test for longevity and I share your opinion in that regard.

TIA
    I don't know about the other Breville's but the I've had the Dual Boiler ever since it came out, a wee bit over six years now, and it has never needed anything but routine maintenance, which after six years of user data gathered on the various forums is: o-rings every three years, solenoid every three years, steam valve about the same, the occasional group collar. no reason to throw a Breville in a landfill for the same thing you wouldn't think twice about fixing if it was a GS/3. From 6+ years of reports, actual major component failures of the Breville Dual Boiler, out of the blue and not due to utter disregard of basic maintenance like replacing leaky o-rings, or letting it scale up, are exceedingly rare. It remains the only machine in it's price class to equal the temperature stability of the GS/3, in Scace testing.

I spent a year going to Vic Uni in Wellington, and living in Lower Hutt by the way. Lovely place.

-Peter
    zeezaw likes this.