Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rawshack
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By Rawshack
  • 2 Post By mikesmixes

Thread: Newbie hello and the Gaggia Classic

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    17

    Newbie hello and the Gaggia Classic

    Hi everyone. This is my first post, so hello

    I'm keen to know peoples views on the 'new' Gaggia classic? I used to be an owner of the old machine (circa 2007 - 2015) which I was very fond of.

    Through cruel twists of fate, I am currently using the Delonghi Dedica... a machine as useful to making coffee as what ukuleles are to performing the works of Black Sabbath (and no, Paranoid does not and will not ever sound good on a ukuele).

    So, I am in the market for a new machine and thought that I'd love to go back to the Gaggia. I loved my old one, so, go figure (even if the milk frother was found wanting)

    I've read that there are some differences between the 'new' classic and the 'old' classic.... some good, some bad.

    Can anyone recommend the classic, or for similar money, are the other alternatives?

    Thanks in advance

    Rawshack

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    64
    Have a look at the Choice 2018 tests. The Gaggia and other machines are tested there.

  3. #3
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,804
    Welcome "Rawshack"...

    What is your budget range for the machine mate and do you already own a decent grinder?

    Mal.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    376
    From mention the other day, i inferred that the non appliance machines didnt get any 'coffee snob' points.
    You know, for looking awesome, quality internals, resale....all that.

    And, im not a member. What were the results..

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
    Have a look at the Choice 2018 tests. The Gaggia and other machines are tested there.
    That's solid gold advice, but seeing as this is a coffee forum, I thought I'd actually try and engage with people who are using the machines. Thanks for the tip though.
    Brewster likes this.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Welcome "Rawshack"...

    What is your budget range for the machine mate and do you already own a decent grinder?

    Mal.
    Hi Mal. Budget is around $600, give or take... which puts me in the 'do I look for a used Rancillio instead...

    As for the grinder I have the Dedica KG 521 that came with the dedica. It's OK. Far better product than its sister espresso machine. Will be wanting to upgrade that at some point, though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Brewster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maitland, NSW.
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawshack View Post
    That's solid gold advice, but seeing as this is a coffee forum, I thought I'd actually try and engage with people who are using the machines. Thanks for the tip though.
    I couldn't agree more Rawshack, you are definitely taking the right approach. Nothing beats long term user experience and feedback (imo)
    Good luck with your purchase.
    Mal

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    And, im not a member. What were the results..
    I am not a member either, saw it at my local library. The mid price Brevilles got the medals . Choice also tested grinders as well. Breville again. I am intrigued by the taste assessments they do. As fas as I am aware no one does anything equivalent. But as I have said before longevity isn't tested.

  9. #9
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,804
    Hi again...

    With a budget of $600, I'd advice you to consider a much loved CSer machine that may be listed in the 4-Sale section.
    This is one way of 'jumping the queue' in the quality stakes when looking to step up to a better machine.

    As it happens, there may be Classic or two still up for grabs...
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...hurst-nsw.html

    Mal.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Hi again...

    'd advice you to consider a much loved CSer machine that may be listed in the 4-Sale section.

    Mal.
    Mal, thanks for replying - without sounding like a dumbass, what is a CSer machine? I'm assuming a Cofffee Snobs forum member machine...? If so, what should I be looking for?

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
    But as I have said before longevity isn't tested.
    I had a breville duo temp pro for a couple of years. Made something resembling half decent coffee, but after two years has just given up the ghost and no matter what I do, it cannot pull a decent shot. Have tried different roasts, grinds, tamps.... nadda, not a thing. This is putting me off getting another Breville or equivalent high street brand

  12. #12
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    14,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawshack View Post
    Mal, thanks for replying - without sounding like a dumbass, what is a CSer machine? I'm assuming a Cofffee Snobs forum member machine...? If so, what should I be looking for?
    A machine owned by a member here and up for sale in the Coffee Hardware For Sale forum.


    Java "Linked up" phile
    Dimal likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    A machine owned by a member here and up for sale in the Coffee Hardware For Sale forum.


    Java "Linked up" phile
    I guess it comes back to the question, with the money I am looking to spend, are there any tips/suggestions on what I should be looking for...? Other than the high street brands, Rancilio and Gaggia, I'm not familiar with any other manufacturers

    Raw 'totally clueless' Shack

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    14,603
    Have a look through the For Sale section and see what grabs your eye for price, options, and appearance. Then look up those machines in the discussion forums to see what people have to say about them.


    Java "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" phile
    Dimal likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    17
    So, for anyone vaguely interested in this thread, my research has led to some interesting conclusions about the Gaggia Classic. For anyone better informed, please correct the following

    The old Classic was made in italy, the new one Romania.
    The old classic had an aluminium boiler, the new one stainless steel
    Old had a 3 way solonoid, the new one doesn't
    Boiler is less powerful due to EU regulations
    New has plastic portafilter spouts and has other internals made of plastic
    There's a feeling that the old one was a 'real Gaggia', where the new classic is essentially a different machine, built by Phillips and built in Romania

    There may be some other differences, this information might not be correct, but either way, this has led me to think that a new 'classic' isn't so appealing.

    After reading the http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-feedback.html thread, I'm not convinced that this is the machine for me either, so it's either save the pennies for the Silvia or buy, as suggested here, something second hand

    Rawshack.
    Dimal likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawshack View Post
    So, for anyone vaguely interested in this thread, my research has led to some interesting conclusions about the Gaggia Classic. For anyone better informed, please correct the following

    The old Classic was made in italy, the new one Romania.
    The old classic had an aluminium boiler, the new one stainless steel
    Old had a 3 way solonoid, the new one doesn't
    Boiler is less powerful due to EU regulations
    New has plastic portafilter spouts and has other internals made of plastic
    There's a feeling that the old one was a 'real Gaggia', where the new classic is essentially a different machine, built by Phillips and built in Romania

    There may be some other differences, this information might not be correct, but either way, this has led me to think that a new 'classic' isn't so appealing.

    After reading the http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-feedback.html thread, I'm not convinced that this is the machine for me either, so it's either save the pennies for the Silvia or buy, as suggested here, something second hand

    Rawshack.
    Gaggias: Yep, the older ones make a decent cuppa, the newer ones need to be beaten into submission to perform.

    As a "long term ex-owner" of a Silvia (among many others) and current owner of a La Pav 2 group, a SB7000 (2014) and 2 * SB6910s (2008) I vastly prefer the 6910 - it is a "real" espresso machine. The 7000s "milk auto frother" drives me mad, and the longer I use it the more it pi***es me off. Even worse, due to the (lack of) noise (and micro kitchen) the 7000 is my "first cuppa each day" machine as the others are banned from the house due to their noise levels. The 7000 does make a good coffee with minimal effort - just not quite as good as the 6910 (just like the new Gaggias).

    I believe the newer Silvias (finally!) have a low water indicator. For many years older ones were always lined up in repairer workshops with blown boilers (run it low on water once...) - a $500 repair here in the West (not mine, I am careful with my gear). Also, if you prefer milk with your cuppa, the Silvia takes forever to switch between pulling a shot and frothing milk. On top of that, you either need to install a PID or temp surf the thing to make it work properly. Finally, none of the Silvia skills transfer to commercial machines readily. The last 5 years I had my Silvia it mainly frothed milk.

    FWIW, if you are willing to tinker and really understand how a machine works I would suggest you buy a secondhand older (pre 2010) 6910 - they give years of good coffee. Any repair parts would be a lot less than your budget. Other than that - good luck with your search.

    TampIt
    Last edited by TampIt; 14th March 2018 at 11:52 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,847
    Yep. There are far better options than the new Gaggia Classic for similar or not much more money.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Yep. There are far better options than the new Gaggia Classic for similar or not much more money.
    Yeah. It's a shame. I loved my old classic, flaws and all. The new ones aren't up to snuff

    Looks like I am going for the Silvia.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    133
    Silvias are a great "bang for buck" machine. The time needed to switch between brew and steam is not that great really and I also don't think they need a Pid installed on them.

    I own both a Silvia and an old Gaggia with a Silvia wand installed on it (both used at work and taken on holidays). Both produce a great shot provided you have a decent grinder and freshly roasted beans. However, the steam power on the Silvia is much quicker and superior to the Gaggia therefore making it well worth the extra $200 or so in my opinion.

    My two bobs worth....

    Good luck with your choice.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    7
    I ended up buying a Silvia and have been very happy with it so far. A friend has a Gaggia and its always a competition. Goodluck
    Dimal and Rawshack like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •